adhoc

which one to choose?

which one?! (READ FIRST POST FIRST)  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hey all,

i am a student who's building his own dream audio system. party.gif so.. kena limited budget.

so far i'm considering 2 options:

A. self assemble full computer system with a revo 7.1 - dvdrom, 120gb hdd, 256ram, 1ghz proc, revo 7.1., integrated graphics & lan; estimated cost ~ $950 total.

pros:

1. useful for other things besides music

2. can play songs without loading/unloading cds (after ripping with flac)

3. software equaliser function

4. downloading station

cons:

1. expensive

2. not convenient

3. inferior (?) sound quality

4. maintainence

B. philips dvd/cd/sacd player $782

pros:

1. MUCH CHEAPER

2. better sound quality (?)

3. stability; dependability

4. more discreet (no need for bulky monitor)

cons:

1. plays ONLY cds, dvds and SACDs

2. no equaliser function

3. not really future proof

So how ppl? any suggestions? which one would you choose?

well if i were you, i would get a revo soundcard and cd deck minus the computer system. unless your comp is slow, there is no need for a new one. well if it is really slow, you will need another new comp anyway. for playing normal audio, not too much proc speed is required.

If sound is No 1 priority then without doubt the 963a. Equaliser for me (unless really well implemented) is overrated.

philips

but you must be ready to fork out another few hundred for sacds/dvd-a and cds!

so it depends

u call that limited budget??

what about me??

hahaha

joking

headphone.gif

This sounds interesting! Hmmmm....

Count me insignificant.......

I've been there but didn't do that party.gif

Meta Bon 0013

sipher, still -quite- limited compared to say, ablaze.. heh whistling.gif

Option 1, If you are upgrading your computer system, otherwise Option 2, is my choice.

I'm curious, can you clarify why in Option 1 - Con: not covenient & maintenance?

Also, Option 2

No equaliser function: you won't need it once you have a proper amp & headphones!

Future proof: Not a big issue at the moment. CDs will stay during our life time even after production stops, endless supplies of used media plus specialied market will still continue. Look at LPs.

sipher, still -quite- limited compared to say, ablaze.. heh whistling.gif

I wish I had a hifi budget as high as you're implying.

true, I buy lots of stuff. but what's also true, is that I almost never keep more than one source, one amp, and one pair of headphones at a time. and most of my supposed hi-end stuff's either gotten dirt-cheap second-hand or bought new, but cheaply yucky.gif

...bought new, but cheaply

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

N@Z, all computer systems need some 'downtime' every month or so to clean out dust, clear the windows registry, defragment the harddrive, search for virus, etc etc.. also every year or so they will need to have the os reinstalled to maintain optimum performance which would mean a long and lengthy backup of all music files. otherwise they will end up being as well maintained as school computers lol.gif. (which btw for those not still in school, means having a p4 1.5ghz run as fast as a 300mhz) a small but slightly irritating thing would be the 1 min or so i takes for a computer to start up - like sometimes you have that song in your head and you want to listen to it quickly.. in contrast the philips will start immediately. no 'windows loading' time.. happy.gif also the philips wont need 'maintainence'.

and forgive my blasphemy about the equaliser function.. i am still not totally initiated.. my dt880 comes in a week or so only.. biggrin.gif

Hehehe, I like that word you used Blasphemy. I wasn't meaning to be rude or anything, I just wanted to find out your opinion so we're all clear about it.

Some valid points there especially the powering up & I never realised that I needed to do some of the maintenance you mentioned on computers, which goes to show how little I know sometimes.

adhoc, funny that you mentioned compie is slower when you want to choose songs

IMO, the philips will give you a harder time..esp if your cds are unorganised you need time to find the right album. And also when you want to listen to another albums, you gotta take time again... in the end, more troublosome.

Nothing beats having music files in compie .laugh.gif