adhoc

which one to choose?

which one?! (READ FIRST POST FIRST)  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My ancient Meridian still going strong albeit at one point I was loosing faith in it and wanted to flog it off, still sounds BRILLIANT despite its 13 or so years of age.

Yeah accessing a track would take a fair bit of time but believe me you've got to hear it to........whatever!

Just found this in this month's What's Hifi, hope this is useful in aiding you make you your decision

"It's clear that Philip shas pu lots of effort into the quanlity of CD plaback on the 973SA, as well as its SACD performance. The result is that satandard discs are reproduced with pleasing dynamics and amazing resolution. Sure a dedicated CD player sounds better still, but the Philips is good, switch to SACD and things get even better: there's ooldes of snap, drive and depth to high-resolution recordings, making the most of the superior sound."

thanks all for your input and feedback.

i think i willgo the 963sa route.

btw, anyone know where to get dvda's and sacds in singapore? lol.gif

how much would i expect them to cost?

sorry ah for all these questions.. want to get ready first..

any recommendations for sacds/dvdas?

a good friend of mine is working in philips.. employee discount.. tongue.gif

ahh.. employee discount..

I know this guy who bought a stuff from me. He bought hd600 at 300 only.

how much would i expect them to cost?

sorry ah for all these questions.. want to get ready first..

any recommendations for sacds/dvdas?

For SACDs, you may want to try the following:

Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon

Mike Oldfiled, Tubular Bells

pipee, my email is the_adhoc@yahoo.com.sg ( lol.gif )

if you're really serious about buying one then email me and we'll discuss. whatever it is, you must have the cash ready and be prepared to fork it over. no last minute backout scenarios. just want to be clear here abt that all. mellow.gif

pipee, my email is the_adhoc@yahoo.com.sg ( lol.gif )

if you're really serious about buying one then email me and we'll discuss. whatever it is, you must have the cash ready and be prepared to fork it over. no last minute backout scenarios. just want to be clear here abt that all. mellow.gif

Somebody just emailed me with an equivalent offer (well maybe a bit more ex) yesterday but I'm still considering.

I think I'll pass for the moment. Thanks for the offer adhoc. Very tempting though. Will keep your email addy for the meet.

Edited by pipee

Adhoc, I would prefer a more balanced expenditure spread across cdp, amp and cans. Don't skip past having decent power cords and interconnect as they can have both subtle and great impact on the final sound.

963a is good for having everything under one roof but U may not hear its full potential if other areas in the chain is neglected.

As an example, a $800 system comprising of matching cdp/amp + decent accessories will sound better than a cdp $800 cdp using stock power cord/interconnect and no amp driving the same pair of cans. IMHO.

Back on track, I applaud your decision to get a decent cdp instead of pc as source. yes.gif

hi adhoc,

hmm...u price tag for opt 1 is 950 and opt 2 is 782, guess u budget is <= 1000. with that, u can have more than 2 opt if u highest priority is quality music listening. my suggestion is not to limit the opt to 2. Other more experience members can help u to build a decent music listening sys.

hrmm.. charismatic, you have my interest. what are the other options?

you see as of now i'm slowly saving.. slowly but steadily. yeah.gif