Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Headfi <-----> Hifi

Headphones are a compromise, thats for sure. Lack of space for a speaker setup, not being able be blast your speakers because of other family members, kids or neighbours etc are some of the reasons why people turn to headphones. I'd rather listen to speakers if I could!

I tend to disagree. Headphones are not a compromise in that it offers a good way to get a high end sound on a budget. $ for $ headphones systems can offer great value. There are drawback since most CDs/records etc are recorded in standard stereo. As such headphones suffer from the in your head feeling however crossfeed helps a little. The real problem of a headphone based system is the lack of binaural recordings of many genre of music and artists.

Like you I prefer speakers because I can walk around drink coffee (or some other poison) and still enjoy music.

Not forgetting room acoustics is a major issue that affects the sound presentation of a speakers system. Detrimental room modes such as bass boom or suckout can make a superb system unlistenable. However, this factor is not an issue with headfi though.

IMO, both should coexist. Married men will testify to this fact as they can't simply lock themselves in the music room and neglect the wives. tongue.gif

Edited by Mackie

IMO, both should coexist. Married men will testify to this fact as they can't simply lock themselves in the music room and neglect the wives. tongue.gif

My wife hates me wearing phones on my head cos she said I am being anti-social. I think, if you are married with kids, you can forget about hifi or headfi when any of the family is awake. And when they've gone to bed, you can only use headfi. So, where got choice? no.gif

wink.gif

I would disagree on that.. i grew up listening to my dad's music with him blasting away on his hifi setup, good music is good music no matter the genre and yer kids will have a great headstart in a musical appreciation and upbringing... happy.gif

hehe.. should i say i've been spoilt from birth? i remembered my mum reminding me when i was a little kid.. not to prod.. the speakers diaphragm... lol.gif wasnt tall enough to touch the tweeters back then

Headphones are a compromise, thats for sure. Lack of space for a speaker setup, not being able be blast your speakers because of other family members, kids or neighbours etc are some of the reasons why people turn to headphones. I'd rather listen to speakers if I could!

I tend to disagree. Headphones are not a compromise in that it offers a good way to get a high end sound on a budget. $ for $ headphones systems can offer great value. There are drawback since most CDs/records etc are recorded in standard stereo. As such headphones suffer from the in your head feeling however crossfeed helps a little. The real problem of a headphone based system is the lack of binaural recordings of many genre of music and artists.

Like you I prefer speakers because I can walk around drink coffee (or some other poison) and still enjoy music.

As I mentioned earlier, in the end the comfort factor and the ergonomics, as well as the possible increased risk for hearing damage all contributed to my decision to dump headphones and move on to speakers, even though because of my cramped environment, my speaker placement will always be less than obtimal, resulting in off-center imaging. Thankfully I have no bass boom problem in my room. biggrin.gif

I would disagree on that.. i grew up listening to my dad's music with him blasting away on his hifi setup, good music is good music no matter the genre and yer kids will have a great headstart in a musical appreciation and upbringing... happy.gif

biggrin.gif I agree with you that good music is good music. In the car got no problem, my 13 yr old son loves the Andrew Sisters and Louis Armstrong songs and sing along. But at home, it is the TV which dominates family time. With cable TV, no one else wants to listen and I am outvoted. no.gif

I think cars and bikes would be a good illustration of hi-fi and head-fi.

Both have advantages over another and both can co-exist together.

I think cars and bikes would be a good illustration of hi-fi and head-fi.

Both have advantages over another and both can co-exist together.

That maybe true. That's maybe why I still can't part with my HD600.

hifi at home, headfi at work.

I don't have a headfi system at home, and I can't have a hifi system at work.

Though, I quest for different things from both. For hifi, I value transparency, neutralness and accuracy. I want to hear everything that went on in the studio. But for headfi, I prefer warmth and tonality. So far, I'm content laugh.gif

After some backbreaking moving of furniture and OCD-like rearrangement of speaker positioning, I now finally have decent imaging and soundstage. Now to tackle that problem with the bottom end bass.... biggrin.giflol.gif

You can actually "feel" the sound for hifi, but not with headfi. Equals I would say, if you factor in portability.