Sign in to follow this  
teesixtenn

need a portable headphones < $150

shure e2c

its doesn't sound as good as a normal headphone at the same price [e.g. Grado SR80], but isolation of the e2c is good

IMHO, I would recommend the Westone UM1 as a more suitable earphone instead of the Shure E2C even though the former retails for about $50 more than the latter.

Sonic-wise, upon side-by-side comparison with the UM1, E2C has clear vocals but at the expense of the clarity of the rest of the music; the rest of the music sound muffled.

Actually, i do think that the E2C is designed mainly for the vocalist to "hear" him/herself on stage when performing and not really suited for playback of music which demands reproduction over a wider frequency range.

IMO, IEMs are a tricky business: they sound good and have good isolation only when used with filters of the appropriate size for the individual and that the earphone is inserted properly. Thus, the user will have to spend some time experimenting to find the configuration that best suits the individual.

The rewards are its low profile and exceptional isolation(compared to headphones) when used in public places.

Edited by david watt

so many choices...

ive narrowed down to:

akg k26p OR senn hd497 OR grado sr60

interested in ultrasone 650 but they're more than $200 rite?

i'm still doing research for earphones. wacko.gif

hd497 and SR60 is totally a bad choice for travel use (bus, sMRT watever u name it)

I've tried before and you're practically hearing every single junk from outside.

IEMs are best for use during travel. at home, wear headphones. best SQ for its money

Edited by squalle

hi squalle...my fault for not stating what the headphones are for in my prev posts...

will be using the headphones @ office/home. smile.gif

buying iems for travel use.

oh all right then

hd497 is available for trying at CK Tang, top floor

then SR60 is at MBD (music by design) at the adelphi, city hall there

then purchase can be made from www.ttvj.com smile.gif

a lot cheaper buying them online

hd497 and SR60 is totally a bad choice for travel use (bus, sMRT watever u name it)

I've tried before and you're practically hearing every single junk from outside.

IEMs are best for use during travel. at home, wear headphones. best SQ for its money

At least the next time they hold another terrorist attack exercise on the mrt, she'll know. laugh.gif

Understand AKG K27i is quite good as a portable headphone and price is slightly more than K26p.

It has a volume control and does anyone know where you can buy this unit and what is the price here.

Regards

Finally got my grado sr60 during lunch time just now after trying it out. So far so good...no discomfort with the headphone and love the design + the sound quality *of course, what do i know...i'm juz a noob*. grado.gif

now that i'm in here already, i'm afraid for my wallet. biggrin.gif

Finally got my grado sr60 during lunch time just now after trying it out. So far so good...no discomfort with the headphone and love the design + the sound quality *of course, what do i know...i'm juz a noob*. grado.gif

Welcome to the club. I like my SR60 too except the sponge which seems to soak up my perspiration too much. Ugh.

now that i'm in here already, i'm afraid for my wallet.  biggrin.gif

Be afraid, be very afraid!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by heady

suggest try not to surf any hi-fi websites in the meantime, or you'll be hit by the upgrade bug ...

not that i follow this advice myself!!!

enjoy your grado 60

i'm enjoying my grado right now with the music of coldplay, muse and creed in the office. would love to try it on my pda but apparently the earphone socket of my grado can't fit into the earphone jack (grado is tooo big laugh.gif ). the earphone jack of my zod (yes, that's the name of my pda) is placed at the bottom right curve of the zod. is there any extension plug which i can purchase?

zod info > http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_pr...=reviews&id=482

picture of the earphone jack (see at the bottom right of the pda) > http://www.pocketnow.com/html/portal/revie.../review/box.jpg

close up picture of the earphones that was supplied with the unit (notice the earphone has a special plug shape> http://www.pocketnow.com/html/portal/revie...ew/earphone.jpg

btw...i'm not selling the zod.

Edited by teesixtenn

grado's are the best. I own a hf-1, which is similar to the sr225. For your type of music, you don't need to look at any other line of headphones really....

you need a 1/4" to mini adaptor. Grado sells their own, and you can buy them at music by design for sgd30.

you can find cheaper options in slt, but there might be connection issues.