ablaze

IMPORTANT: SGheadphones will be closing down

Hello fellas,

I've brought this up a couple of times now, but this time it'll be for real.

As you all know (or not) I started working for a almost a year now, and work saps the life out of me. Dead beat all the time, not being able to monitor the forum and fix the errors that pop up once in a while. So I'm just unable to upkeep this place any more.

I know you guys have found yourself a nice place here and everyone knows everyone (or almost), and consdering all the work I did to get everything up running up to its final state.. (4 years?) I'd personally hate, too, for the place to go down, but I'm just unable to keep up the site anymore as previously explained. sleep.gif

If there's anybody who would be willing to stand up now and volunteer to take full management of the place, I'd be happy to help you transfer the databases over, so we won't lose anything hopefully, but FULL management will have to fall onto the shoulders of the new guy. So if there's someone out there who thinks she/he can do this, please speak up now.

if not.. by the end of the month.. this place will be officially no more.

Its been a great journey with all you guys. I, and I hope you have all learnt much from each other. It has been my pleasure to have met and made so many good friends on this forum, and hope that we will stay friends, even when sgH is no more.

cheers everyone. thanks for everything

beer.gif

Ablaze, it's sad to hear this news, but I am sure it is a painful decision for you as well. I wish I knew more about databases and programming to be of help. Whatever the case, thank you so much for providing us with such an invaluable resource and platform for exchange, and all the best with your job in saving lives!

Sad to hear that. What must the new guy do? Wish i can help but database i noob. esp fixing errors. No other way out? blink.gif

It's been a great journey with many a fella on the forums as well... Pity that we would have to come to this though.. I wish I could afford the time for this but uni's sapping my time too.. sigh..

Thanks for starting this place, it's been fun, and I've certainly met some interesting characters! biggrin.gif

Edited by av98m

its pretty obvious everyone wants to keep the place.. but nobody feels up to fully-taking over management of the place, as before sleep.gif sigh

actually, its not hard to pick up forum-building/maintenance. I knew NOTHING about all this html, php, mambo-jambo when I first started the forum too! but alas..

Is it possible for you to give it a little while longer before closing it down? The reason I ask is to give an opportunity for any of the other members who haven't got a chance to see this thread. It's a shame to let it go without making a try to save all those effort which was made by alot of people in the past.

I was thinking maybe we can have a proper announcement requesting someone/group of people to look after/take over the site from you. I am willing to be part of that team hoewever I need to learn how to do it & having a team to cover each other in the event 1 or the other cannot login.

Edited by N@Z

I second naz's suggestion. I am willing to be part of the team as well.

Great, lemme get the ball rolling by posting a proper poll to get the actual numbers of people who wants SGH to remain (we don't want to end up running the site if only a few people wants it to remain right).

In that poll I'll start a list of names of people who want to be part of the Admin/Moderating team.

Support SGH y'all!

really a sad news if this have to be shutdown....surely would like to help if there is anything we could do rolleyes.gif

hi, i have extra space to host this forum. i also have php+mysql experience to fix script errors.

i hope you don't require dedicated IP to run this forum.

anyway, let me know how you want to transfer the files, mysql databases, domain name.

the Invision forum requires any annual/monthly license fee?

Should the plan to maintain sgheadphones fall thought, another possibility is creating a headphones thread under echoloft... I can speak to the owner about this.

I see it as a win win situation as its non profit and since its the same hobby, you'd get to know more people as well as learn more about the loudspeaker stereo people and vice versa smile.gif

So many proclaim that they have 'moved on' to loudspeakrs so it makes more sense to keep within the same forums even after you've changed your setup.

Well, yotiao, from my experience, windows-based hosting package under Ensim-based hosting normally give out Invision Powerboard free. So, it would be licensed copy.

Having dedicated IP hosting sure cost more, I don't think it's a good idea. Just get a hosting with big enough web space. The hosting can be a shared hosting on the same server. Just make sure the server is not overloaded by the heavy traffic on SGH forum.

I've see a heavy site that bring down a hosting server just because the hosting company doesnt know how to put it on another not-so-busy server. They dump every hosting site together and give all of the unlimited or unmetered bandwidth until the server is down more often and received complaints and requests for compensation.

For Unix or Linux - based hosting server, normally come with phpBB forum. If you require Invision Powerboard, I would suggest the hosting should be runnng Ensim Windows and not Ensim Unix.

Hope these helps?

I've been away for quite a bit due to exams and other commitments so this is quite a surprise. I would really like to see this place still up.