Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Nice amp for dt880

you guys talk so much about cables.. does the amount spent, a couple of hundred, justify the actual performance? if you are going to spend that much, 2-300, i would just save up and get a new amplifier. i think an amp would make more of a difference than cables.

can you guys hear the difference when blind folded and someone changes the cables for you?

anyway i hopefully will be receiving a corda blue and mg head otl tomorrow with dt880s and hd600. was hoping for it today, but never came sad2.gif

iconic,

interconnect , In myopinion is one of the last steps in bulding a sound system. Only after you are happy with your system and want to take it up further then you introduce these ICs. When you already have darn good amp hp and source, why would you spend another 2-300 for another stinking newbie amp when you could've very well used that money to improve on your main setup.

Makes sense?

That's what exactly I am doing now. I am fairly happy with my system and the bottleneck is the interconnect. Now why would I spend 2-300 to get creek obh-11 when it sounds inferior to my corda ha-1? not to mention they're not portable and I can't even use them outside. So where is their place?

Edited by Guyferd

nah i didn't say spend the 2-300 on an amp at the price range, i meant save that money to use for a more expensive amp. but then again, if you have a higher end amp, you would need decent cables? dunno if the actual cables make a difference though. i'll do some a/b of cheap $2 cables and some $10 cables tomorrow laugh.gif

it does.

even the DIY cables under 50 dollars, I've compared my monster 300mkii against Klotz GY107. Klotz has more emphasized bass(dunno low mid or wad.. I know it's bass tongue.gif)

and vocal sounds more emphasized/upfront if I can still remember correctly

You don't need a golden ear to be able to hear the difference. It's like changing amp. The difference is that noticeable from cheapo to good IC.

If you have good hi end amp and connects them to stinky interconnect.. everything will falter. The interconnect carries the signal from your cdp to your amp. So if it can't deliver all details, you will never be able to hear it through your amp.

garbage in garbage out, pipe brings the garbage wink.gif

yeah i guess that's true, i will probably end up buying a $70 interconnect from www.equinoxaudio.com.au..

still haven't received the headphones yet! i want to hear some hi-fi!

iconic, please do not be too lax on power cords and interconnects auditions as they do affect the final sound. Do not buy them based on positive reviews as system matching is very important. A cable that's good in one system may not be compatible with another. Moreover, try to consider the economics of selection as it does not make sense to spend $200-300 on a pair of interconnects if your entire system costs only $600. Budget 10-20% of your system cost seems sensible, IMO. One more thing, a higher price does not ascertain better sound so auditions with an open mind is a must.

Changes in interconnects are easily discernible. Power cords will be tougher. Toughest being tweaks like isolation cones and such as changes are more subtle.

iconic, if you do choose to go the DIY way, here are some resources.

first from head-fi:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=37599

then from me party.gif :

http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/campus_life/cca/...ble_compare.mht

you MUST CLICK my link!

btw, all these cables are available at sim lim tower.

look for shops arnd the 2nd and 3rd floor especially.

some shopkeepers are super friendly and will dispense information to you on which cables are especially suited for interconnects etc etc they might also strip the wires properly for you and some might even help you tin the ends.

you can expect to pay anything from $3/m to $15/m.

Guy, if i remember correctly you're using the variable outs from your cd6000? Suggest trying the fixed outputs as i remember them making a marked difference in sound quality. Good luck hunting for cables! Every upgrade stage is exciting. yes.gif

There's no fixed output in the 6000 series. In fact, contemporary cdps no longer offer 2 different sets of fixed and variable line outputs. The reason being latest variable line output is controlled digitally as opposed to the analogue way of yesteryears.

Edited by Mackie

Oh! Didn't know that there're no fixed outputs on the 6000. Was gonna suggest that cos i did an A/B with my denon cdp and there was a big difference in quality. But that's an old player. Ten years old. tongue.gif

I think the passing of LD players era has also resulted in the disappearance of the fixed/variable output feature.

Goes to show how old my CDP is! Got em both! Fixed is better, everything sounds tighter & crisper. Even better on the Coaxial output to a DAC!

smile.gif Can't disagree with you there.

Going to start work coming Tuesday. Mackie and Oak were telling me that all i'd take is three months max before i start itching to upgrade. tongue.gif Nooooo...