Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Nice amp for dt880

Guy, just leave the amp on so that current is drawn from the wall outlet and through the power cord. The fastest way to burn in cables is by using a Cable Cooker which my friend has. U can also send it to Music by Design for "cooking". Cost is $40 and I think U can collect the cord after 2-3 days of burning in.

Edited by Mackie

oh ok.. noted happy.gif

I will just cook it traditionally..

yummy yummy..

eh.. *sniff sniff* why do I smell burning thing? lol.giflol.gif

To expedite the process, U can connect the power cord to kitchen gears that require high current such as electric flask or the likes.

tube rolling is not just changing the tube, it's the trial and error process that requires the end user to try as many combinations of tubes as possible (assuming you have more than one tube port on your amp lol.gif ) and comparing all the combinations to find the sound you like best.

it also usually involves hunting around local shops for rare models of tubes or shipping them from overseas. quite exciting actually. happy.gif

adhoc, U wanna compile your comments on cd formats etc onto a new thread so that we can put it up on the sticky?

maybe someone wants to buy an AudioValve RKV and try with their beyer

muahahahah sure rocks...

also can make people thinner(keep sweating when in close proximity with the amp) lol.giflol.gif

can i suppose. just a simple cut/paste affair right?

Just open a new thread with an appropriate title and then cut and paste your contributions to it.

Oak, looks like I will scour the audiophile shops harder when I'm in HK...hopefully during X-mas season. Tube gears are big there.

Thanks Mackie. Really tempted to go Hong Kong but I will never get the 'visa' from my wife! no.gif

Oak, great!

then we will have a new toy to play with in our next meet!

tongue.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope my cuz will be able to find them. biggrin.gif

Tube rolling:

The long forgotten gentle art of peering at your tube till your nose touches the hot tubes then pulling out tubes while still glowing and clasping it in your palm for as long as you can endure. At which point you release the tube like a bowling ball with all the grace you can muster. The guy who holds the tube the longest and rolls it furtherst is a true tube roller.

I"M KIDDING.

Seriously,

Changing the tube of a different make/construction or or similar value in a given design that accepts substitutes for (usually) different gain. eg 12AX7 (aka ECC83 or CV4004) has a gain of 100% while a similar 12 volt tube eg 12AU7 has a gain of something like 20% (I think, I'll have to check if anyone want's to know).

From what I gather for my MG Head OTL:

12AX7 = 100% gain

12AU7 = 20% gain

12AT7 = 60% gain

5751 = 70% gain

There's more tubes but I can't remember them off hand. Different numbering system used by Europeans compared to Americans.

Nick Dangerous got me interested into Tuberolling the MG Head OTL[/url]

Then there's biasing (for power tubes), Then there's tube subs, then there are different brands, then same brands with different plate structure, then there are washed bottles using cheapher NOS like Tungsram to pass off as something else. By the time you're finished, frustration sets in.

12 in american tube commercial numeralogy neans the volatge - ie 12 volts. However american industrial tube numeralogy has a different system as in 5751.

Then there's american military - usually denoted with JAN (joint army navy) 5814 (which is 12AU7).

The europeans did things differently with ECC83 = 12AX7 or ECC82 = 12AU7 = 5814 = 6187 A = CV4003 (british military).

Hope this clears things up.

Where does the CV4003/CV4004/CV4035/CV491 comes from?

I also think there are more equivalent tubes, 6189 (12AU7 WA equiv), 7058, 7729 (12AX7 equiv), 7316, 7319 (12AU7 equiv) never tried any yet but I've used a Sylvania 5963 (12AU7 equiv) which is supposedly an old computer tube application not sure. Works quite well, sounds cleaner than the Electro Harmonix 12AX7 which sounded harsher but had more detail.