mychew

Opinions about Koss EQ 50

Hi to all,

The boss of the audio shop i always get my rig from is offering me a Koss EQ 50 Portable Equalizer Amp. Below are the only details i can get it from him.

-Three-band stereo equalizer for expanded frequency response and acoustical contouring

-Ideal for portable audio use including laptops, MP3, DAT and CD players

-Pocket size for easy travel and portability

-Level controls for bass, midrange and treble provide added sound definition

-Unity gain amplifier limits power from the source

-Operates on (2) "AAA" batteries (not included) for 15-20 hours of usage

stereophone specifications

Frequency Response: 30-20,000 Hz

Impedance:

Weight:

Sensitivity:

Distortion: <0.3%

Ear Cushions:

Cord: 4ft

Plug:

He told me that it comes with a 1 meter long 1/8 cable.

my cans freq resp is 18-18000Hz....does it matter if i use that amp with my cans?for the headphone out of that amp, the impedance should be matching my 32 Ohm cans... How would you guys think? Hope to hear from you all in recent days. Thank you!

p/s: attached is the picture of that EQ 50

post-2-1057201326.jpg

Besides doing a search for reviews via google, the best way to decide is to make time for an audition. If U like it, buy it baby. Who knows, U may be one of the very few to own this unit.

I've contact the boss to let me audition the amp, but for the meantime, it's still out of stock yet. For what i was told, it was still on the production line. I don't know why so slow. Don't tell me they are all hand-made portable amp biggrin.gif

well...i may buy it if it's within my budget. Coz u never try,u'll never learn something new. If it suits me, then i will survive it until my next upgrade headphone.gif

look forward to my first amp tongue.gif

would try burn-in and look for any sound improvement. Anyone else has any more contribution? yes.gif

Edited by mychew

hi mychew, how much does it retail at?

hm from the specs it looks quite alright. Like mackie said, try it out before you buy. If the improvement is justifiable, then by all means get it laugh.gif

I still duno yet...so u mean i should audition it on the spot?or can i ask to audition it at home on my own free time?btw, i had ask the permission audition it in his shop before i bought. I also ask whether i can test it at home first or not, if he believe me.

Well...btw..hope to have a touch on it first...hehe....

yea... as a rule of the thumb, you MUST audition the stuff that you intend to buy. No point buying and regret later if it doesn't live up to your expectation, right wink.gif

I think you can try asking the boss to let you test it on the spot. Best is if he can lend you.. biggrin.gif

hehe....maybe pay some deposit to borrow from me if he doesn't trust me?lol

but i would bring my amp there.....but for source i think i wont be bringing my source there.eg.laptop...coz it's quite heavy...somemore the CD player i borrow from my fren is going to be returned tomorrow. So maybe can ask for his source to have a try?do u think this is a good try?

mychew, how much doe it cost BTW? headphone.gif

What amp are you using?? rolleyes.gif

I have a slight suspicion that you won't need it, I any case better to try it out first. Spend some time in the shop with your portable setup and really have a go at it! Good Luck thumbup1.gif

oh yeah...before i forgot...other than sound improvement...what other things i need to take note of?i think there should be a nice source and pieces available there for me to try out rite?wonder what a tiny pocket size portable amp can do to my cans...at least should be ok for that to-be-considered ebtry level cans tongue.gif

matbon0013,

i'm currently surviving with my laptop...but i did have an old amp which bought by my father long time ago... the Brand is called Sansui i think...but i havent touch on it much before...tomorrow would make a trip to malaysia to test it out with my headphone...besides...he did has a receiver as well...I'll try as many source and devices combination as i can. It's a noob first time cans test here... LOL

my father the amp is quite popular during his time...but dun see can blast...but the treble is handled quite well by that old amp...anyway...it's just a test...haha headphone.gif

By the way the boss had agree to let me test it out...but don;t know where would it be...maybe his shop or maybe can borrow home?hehe....if can let me bring home to test and do some burn-in before i return to himwould be nice.. yeah.gif

p/s: I had check the price from Koss website,the retails price is US$ 19.99 wink.gif

Edited by mychew

LOL...i don't think he would be stupid until seeling me at used price...haha....

But i think it's all based on my taste and sound improvement right? Coz i can't think of anything to test out on that portable amp smile.gif can you offer me some tips,matbon0013? tongue.gif

If you are going to test it at the shop make sure you bring your own CDs that you are familiar with. Your own cables, headphones & player (where possible) so that you won't hear a different sound after you purchase it.

Personally I feel that if an amp has equalisers or tone controls it's not up to the job in the first place (unless for car audio applications due to the compromised speaker installation). Never the less, if you find out that you do like the sound or you want to have the flexibility of changing the sound then in my book that's US$19.99 well spent.