Sign in to follow this  
Adelfin

Help chooing IEMs?

Hi...

i'm new around here...and i just wanted to find out what would be a good choice for my first pair of IEMs.

Budget: around $200 or below

type of music: Classical, Jazz, occasional pop and rarely rock

player: creative zen neeon

Since i listen to mainly classical and jazz, I find details and clarity more impt than the strength of bass. I want to listen to an accurate reproduction of what was recorded on the cds/mp3s.. to be able to hear exactly what each instrument is playing... rather than the muddy unclarified sounds that lower end earphones produce... the original earphones that came with my neeon were disappointing..treble was too high, bass unheard, and basically many parts of my music were drowned out by traffic/trains/people coz the dynamic ranges of my music is so vast...i've already looked around and found the following:

Shure e2c / e3c

Ety er6 / 6i

um1

super.fi 3

What I've seen from my research so far is that the shures should not be the ones for me.. many have said that they give strong bass but lack the clarity... so far i've been inclined to try out the etys..seems that everyone supports it for it's clarity and details... um1 is popular in singapore, and it's a close choice to the etys, so i'm wondering if anyone has had both and could tell me how they sound?

i haven't heard much about the super.fi 3...so if anyone could tell me about that too?

also, etymotics label the er6 to have more accurate reproduction then their 6i, while 6i is supposed to be made for portable audio players.. since i mostly listen to my neeon, which would be more suitable for my needs? should i sacrifice the accuracy?

I know i should personally head down to try them out, but just want to get more second opinions before i do, at least i can narrow down my choices. Would help if you can give me pointers about how to go about testing the products at the shops.

Thanks! :))

Edited by Adelfin

I second the suggestion, though I believe that UM1 would be a more versatile choice. You seem rather fixed to your genres though, which is good, especially when choosing headphones/earphones/canalphones/IEMs. ;)

I agree with the suggestion too. If clarity and details is really impt compared to bass then the ety will be the IEM for you. The UM1 would be a good all rounder and it will suit your jazz preference but it loses out in details when compared to the ety. However the ety might be alittle above your budget of $200. Hope this helps in your decision making. :)

yupz...that's just a general idea of what i listen too...

basically don't like the "louder" ranges of music like rock....so the bass part is less impt, i just require it to be there, and not absolutely missing like my current earphones...

i do occasionally listen to pop, blues, soul, and some jazz require bass, but i figured i could just up the EQ...and some people have said the bass isn't really that bad on the etys, gotta try it out and see for myself....

how clear are the um1s compared to the etys?

you can oso buy the im716 frm amazon which has the sound sig of ety......

im716 is better than er6i and abit of less equal to er4

or you can oso consider buying the ety er6i and im716 online which would costs less than $150 each.......

Classical and Jazz under $200?

The Ety ER6 seems to be your answer, or you can go try out the ATH-CK7 =)

If you want to recommend ER6, it will not sound it best unamped. Try a 6i instead.

Why dun u just head down to Jaben and audition both the ER6i and the UM1 and you'll get your answer right away. Just remember to bring along your source and favourite tracks to test.

i would recommend the ety to u since u mainly listen to the type of tracks the ety excels at.

But just be warned, u *will* become a slave to the ety. The build of the er6 is probably the most fragile ive seen yet, even worse than the ever notorious ex71. The wire is uber thin... so good luck if u get one ^_^

you can consider the higher end er4p. If you lurk around head-fi.org you can get it 2nd hand for around 120usd.

That's how I got my er4s...just be careful who you buy from.

Some people don't like it's rather clean, analytical sound. But I love it. :etys:

oh.. thx for the info zephyron :) learnt sumthing

in that case, i will recommend UM1