aaron-xp

Headphone/Earphone Sightings

It's not technology nor quality that matter most in a similarly priced/quality full size cans and IEM. It's the medium; airspace that both tranducers work with. As such, cans will present much better soundstaging but IEM betters in isolation. Other areas are open to contest. This is why they can co-exist.

Technology can overcome many barriers... Today's normal scientific calculator would have been hailed the breakthrough of the century 100 years ago...

True but in the case of supraural/circumaural cans vs IEMs, the physics governing them cannot, as yet, be altered by technology. This same underlying factor applies to speakers vs cans. That's why an audiophile who owns a speakers system may also possess cans and IEMs. Even the decades old cd technology has yet to totally render LPs in the way of the dodo ie, obsolete and extinct.

Edited by Mackie

That's true, and probably why there are that many alternatives to just plain circumaural cans.

Waiting for future advancements though... :D

Someone at headfi commented that cans gave the impression of two halves of a can of mountain dew being clamped onto one's head... Weird... tongue.gif

Sorry for quoting myself, but I found the guy! This thought can be found in skudmunky's (of headfi) signature.

"whenever I hear someone call headphones 'cans' I think of someone wearing caffeine free diet mountain dew cans, sliced in half and stuck over their ears, playing hip hop."

Saw a guy at tampines interchage in the morning using a grado. not sure wats the model though.

Time: 930am

MGR: tampines interchange near the Q-bread shop

Ahem, we are looking at headphones/earphones/IEMs, and not people... :P

Seriously though, it seems that seein different people wearing headphones will give different impressions.

For example, if you see a so called "geeky" looking person usnig IEMs, you would probably feel happy for him, and nothing else. However, if you see others, such as the above mentioned, it seems to be a different case altogether.

argh. i dont see many people around who wear headphones or IEMs.

so far, i only see ibuds all around, and mostly others are wearing clips-ons. at some times, i see a couple wearing sony canals (those where the cables rot).

so far, the only IEM i saw was a shure e2c late at night in a bus, and the only few headphones i saw was only sennheiser lower ends...

Edited by aloy

argh. i dont see many people around who wear headphones or IEMs.

so far, i only see ibuds all around, and mostly others are wearing clips-ons. at some times, i see a couple wearing sony canals (those where the cables rot).

so far, the only IEM i saw was a shure e2c late at night in a bus, and the only few headphones i saw was only sennheiser lower ends...

yep same here... been seeing ibuds everywhere..have yet seen anyone using headphones though.. the only IEMs i saw was mine :))

I doubt so. People don't really look at what earphones/headphones/IEMs you use. It is split to around 3 catergories.

iBuds,

non-iBuds,

Incredibly geeky full sized headphones.

Edited by aaron-xp

...........Incredibly geeky full sized headphones.

Yaawwwnnn.....something just woke me from my slumber....... :cans::lol: