ericssan

My quest to find ideal mate for AKG K701

hi all

I think many forumers and possibly lurkers of SGH are using AKG K701. With my limited listening experience with cans, I read and learnt that this 701 is very challenging. On one hand, it has so much potential to unleash. My first impression is that it provides almost very wide and airy soundstage, female vocals also sounded so sweet.

My FOTM music is classical and vocals now. Sigh. This cans definitely need a good headamp to mate to bring out its potential.

I've tried it with Xenos, iCute battery headamp, MF X-cans v3 and the latest been Little Country tube headamp by firestone audio.

The latter is the latest and newest of the block from Jaben. I just visited Uncle Wilson today. It is a double-decker design with a supplier block below, comes with step attenuator. I'm very impressed by its amping of k701. Instrument timbre is softer and more fluid and less harsh on the ears, compared to X-Cans. That is of course coming from my limited brief auditioning.

I am also surprised that when I switched back to iCute, I simply can't tahan the same song (just 5 seconds into the same song).. it sounds harsher and brighter... alamak, what happened to my ears??? :no:

Had I not been rushed by my wifie, I would have paid for Little Country.

a pic to stir some emotions in you... :whistle:

IPB Image

Can owners of k701, share with us about your relentless pursuit of the ultimate headamp for k701? :cans:

Edited by ericssan

Mrs Ericssan... a Happy man is one with a tube amp and a nice can to boot. He would stay home !!!

Agree. With that killer combination, music at karaoke lounge won't attract hime anymore :P

Weren't you the guy auditioning the headphones/amps at Jaben on Sunday? Cool setups there though... Sigh, wished I had time, or money. :P

Weren't you the guy auditioning the headphones/amps at Jaben on Sunday? Cool setups there though... Sigh, wished I had time, or money. :P

yes, hi. But we didn't introduce each other.

Back to topic: Any other 701 users? Care to share on what amp u using now to partner ?

hi eric,

if you find that they match well, then go to Jaben again.

...buy first worry later.. :P

Had the K701 for a couple of weeks, courtesy of Stereo electronic. During that period I tried it with several amps, these include the Corda HA1 MK1 (corda blue), Grace M902 and RA1. I still prefered it with my pre-amp followed by the Grace M902.

' date='11 Aug 2006, 12:08 AM' post='73381']

Initial impression:

Amp does not get too hot, wondering why, maybe it's the huge block of alumium encasing it. It's only warm though.

YEs it only warm that place is air-con it will get warmer without air-con.

Tubes rolling may improve the SQ, but I wish it had a lower output gain. ;)

Read review that the Stello HP100 amp goes well with 701. Is this available in Singapore?

post-2565-1155399034_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1155399084.jpg

post-2565-1155399124.jpg

Edited by laukinkon

Here's a review of the 701 with Stello

http://www.soundstage.com/allinyourhead/al...rhead200607.htm

The Channel Islands headamp/650 review is also very good - not sure about partnering with 701 though. By the way, does anyone know who is the dealer for Channel Islands? Got the review copy from the HiFi show but no dealer info.

Edited by laukinkon

thanks top gun. just called but they only carry the pre/dac 200 at $4K....beyond my budget.

Will check out the Channel Islands amp reviewed on Stereophile but their dac does not use usb. Actually will be great to get a good amp/dac - likely cheaper than separate.

have partnered the 701 with cayin (tube rolled with mullards), xiangsheng 708B, diy RA-1, porta corda mk1 and diva amp.

never liked it with either xiangsheng or RA-1, seems like can't bring the 701 to life.

interestingly the porta corda, especially with wall wart, can drive the 701 rather well. i actually preferred it to the xiangsheng or RA-1

remembered that it went very well with the cayin, especially on guitars and other string instruments ...

diva amp also does a good job in driving it. pity i had sold my cayin, hence couldn't do a direct comparison with the diva amp ...

as usual ymmv ...

have partnered the 701 with cayin (tube rolled with mullards), xiangsheng 708B, diy RA-1, porta corda mk1 and diva amp.

never liked it with either xiangsheng or RA-1, seems like can't bring the 701 to life.

interestingly the porta corda, especially with wall wart, can drive the 701 rather well. i actually preferred it to the xiangsheng or RA-1

remembered that it went very well with the cayin, especially on guitars and other string instruments ...

diva amp also does a good job in driving it. pity i had sold my cayin, hence couldn't do a direct comparison with the diva amp ...

as usual ymmv ...

Hi flemingoh,

would like to read a detail review for diva + 701 from you. Thanks!