Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Closed Headphones

Besides the Etymotics, Sennheiser MX-400/500, Beyerdynamic DT770 (Pro or non Pro), Sony MDR-7506/V6 & Sony MDR-D66SL (eggo variants).

What are your experiences. It should not be audible to a person right next to you at modeartely loud volumes.

No constraints on price & sound. I want to know as many as possible.

Edit:

List so far:

AKG271S - I would prefer to hear these first before deciding as the comments about them varies greatly.

Beyer DT-150 - I really like the look of these, build & modular construction is fab. Hard to find used. If anyone can find it at good new prices let me know.

Beyer DT-250 - Coming soon but not soon enough!

Senn PX200 - Bought these recently, though the sound is good for the price I didn't like the fact that I had to get it into position perfectly otherwise the bass is lost & isolation is reduced. So these will leave the 'stable'.

Senn HD-25 - No longer considering these since encountering the above problem.

Sony CD3000 - Not keen to buy new I'm patient enough to wait for cheap used (Yeah blue moon & pigs fly! You never know, Blues is so fickle so someone might benefit!)

Edited by N@Z

From the Beyer stable we also have the Beyer DT-250 (Senn HD-600 type of sound, Beyer DT-831 (bright sound), Beyer DT-150 ( balanced buy a bit dry).

From the Senn stable we have the HD-25 - good all round performer (but expensive).

From the AKG stable there are a couple but I don't know them.

Any comments on how they isolate compared to the DT770 & 7506 Rameish?

DT150 dryness how is it compared with say the ER4S?

For domestic bliss...

I need absolute silence. I prefer that it does not leak out sound more than it allow sound in, although that would be a bonus.

Only the ER4S has fulfilled both criterias 100% but used mostly when sitting/lying still.

The DT770Pro/7506 is good at containing the sound but outside sound is not isolated very well. Eggos are ok not as good as the 7506. Similarly the MX-400. Not so good late at night when a faint tish, tish, tish... can be heard.

You know I'm going to say it, so I'll just say it - CD3000s laugh.gif

i dont' know your definition of 'loud' but at low-medium volumes, the lady sleeping beside you shouldn't complain wink.gif (notice I didn't say wife haha)

Sneaky! You tried oledy ablaze? Not just for sleeping lah watching TV in peace also.

tried? sleeping beside someone with my headphones? *ahem* too personal right? blush.gif haha..

anyway, what I said about sound leaking out at low-med volumes holds true. it doesn't isolate outside noise as the other closed cans like the V6 though. but sound leaking out is pretty minimum as long as the cups are sealed ie. resting on your ears. of course, if isolation (both ways) is more important to you than pure sound quality, then there're other closed cans like the V6 that'll do a better job.

how about being a guinea pig and trying out the AKG271S? smile.gif

We need to ask the lady that works on the desk next to jarthel laugh.gif

I'll try if I find any el cheapo. Saw plenty of those on Classic MTV recently on the 'We Are the World' video.

N@Z, I lost you there. are you talking about the AKGs? I think they were just released a couple of months ago? joelongwood's got a pair I think. but I recall he wasn't too impressed.

Ah... it would seem I was lost on the AKG model numbering system. Not so familiar there. I was thinking of something else then.

px200s?

slightly boomy and slightly recessed upper mids but ok for non-critical listening.

rather impressive isolation for their size and hardly any sound leaks out at ridiculous volumes.

Plus it's less than SG$100! Have you tried it amped adhoc? Any changes made to the sound?

<$100? so are the mx400/500s!

and never tried it amped.. sorry. IIRC either ting or tee have the px200 too. you could ask them how it sounds amped.

you could also pm julery about his philips hd890s.