Alejandro de Los Robles

Portable Amps

I'm trying to find a portable amp around 50usd or less. I'm low on cash so I need something simple and inexpensive but with reasonable sonic qualities. I'm aiming to use them with my grado sr 80s. Any suggestions?

for that buget, you MIGHT wanna try out the crossroads2 or the PA2V2, plus the little dot micro as what was stated above.

however dont expect a "WHOA, SO NICE" kinda thing, entry level amps cant do that :))

question, does the improvement from using amp can be felt even with headset like PX100?

i bought Xtra-X1 amp from jaben, using lineout from iPod, the difference is not so "wow" from listening directly from iPod. Any idea? The Xtra-X1 amp also considered as "entry level" too?

Or maybe the PX100 can be driven so easily, so it doesn't make big difference when i plug it into the amp? Elighten me.. please ^^.

question, does the improvement from using amp can be felt even with headset like PX100?

i bought Xtra-X1 amp from jaben, using lineout from iPod, the difference is not so "wow" from listening directly from iPod. Any idea? The Xtra-X1 amp also considered as "entry level" too?

Or maybe the PX100 can be driven so easily, so it doesn't make big difference when i plug it into the amp? Elighten me.. please ^^.

I don't think this is just a matter of the PX100 being easier to drive. I think another factor is that the PX100's resolution of sound may not be good enough to hear the difference between amp and unamped. If you have a 10M camera but print it at 3M resolution, don't expect to see a lot more that a pic taken with a 5M camera.

That's MHO.

if you wanna hear the difference, maybe its becasue your headphone cant progress anymore, strap on a pair of MS1's and try again, i am QUITE sure the difference will be huge.

also check the bitrate of the music you are listening too.

just borrow the MS1 from jaben for awhile, dont think he will refuse :))

the Xtra made a huge difference to my K81's even though i was i was using a headphonejack, so i think the difference with using a line out should also be quite substantial :))

try to upgrade to Sr225 or 325i u will notice quite alot of dramatic difference

I am using Px100"s with an iBasso p1 and I can tell an improved difference. The improvement is definitely worth the 100 bucks I paid. That being said, I don't think you would get enough improvement to warrant spending 200 or 300 buck on an amp. Keep it simple and you will be happy. Go with the iBasso and you will love your PX100's.

I am using Px100"s with an iBasso p1 and I can tell an improved difference. The improvement is definitely worth the 100 bucks I paid. That being said, I don't think you would get enough improvement to warrant spending 200 or 300 buck on an amp. Keep it simple and you will be happy. Go with the iBasso and you will love your PX100's.

I just got the iBasso P1 to use with my MS-1... a good improvement... This is a very decent amp...neutral sound that adds body and much more clearly defined bass notes to the sound... plus that sweet IC that comes with it.

I think synergy between the earphones with the amp is important. X1 would pair well with a ER-4P/S because X1 by itself is bassy and ER-4P/S is famous for being lean on bass. On the other hand, PX100 is bassy and add another bassy bass, it might not be synergistic.

i believe the iBasso P1 also allow opamp rolling which mite greatly improve the sound sig. the ebay price of about us100 makes the p1 a superlative buy. however the slightly bigger/heavier size and a medium battery life (20hrs or so) mite make it an issue for some.

another great choice is the new govibe v6. i believe norm delgarno will customize the gain if u want it specifically for the ER4. its also similiar in cost to the iBasso P1.

im sure theres also a whole buncha other porty amps available now. great time for portaphile headfiers to be alive!

I think synergy between the earphones with the amp is important. X1 would pair well with a ER-4P/S because X1 by itself is bassy and ER-4P/S is famous for being lean on bass. On the other hand, PX100 is bassy and add another bassy bass, it might not be synergistic.

I agree with you that headphones and amp synergy is important. I find that the synergy of X1 with ER-4S really decent. I'm glad I'm not the only one.