Northern Oak

Cayin HA-1A : Initial Impressions

I'd received my Cayin HA-1A for about 2 weeks but I've yet to change all the stock tubes so I wouldn't be giving a full review just yet.

However, I do wish to provide an initial impression of this amp since no one has done so previously.

Build/Look :

user posted image

This thing weights in at slightly more than 7kg. Nice brushed aluminium finish for the front plate with a hard convex lens which gives you a clear nice view of the tubes inside. There are 2 versions of finishing for the amp cover, either in silver or black. Between the the 4 tubes placed in a diamond formation lies an LED. If I'm not wrong, the black cover comes with yellow LED while the silver cover is accompanied by the blue LED. Personally, I preferred the yellow LED as it compliments the glow of the tubes.

Interior :

Has 2 sets of built-in transformers for each of the channel and the topology looks almost like the RKV's Impedanzer. These transformers are used to match the impedance of the cans. These transformers are placed in the rear of the top deck.

user posted image

As can be seen from above, there are 4 settings available.

The power supply's toroidal transformer is placed in the rear of the lower deck and has a shield on top and surrounding it. The power supply circuit however, is placed in the front of the bottom deck and uses some ELNA caps. (Sorry but I didn't notice what range of ELNA caps they used). There's another shielded transformer at the front of the bottom deck but I'm not sure what it is for.

The tube ampilfier circuit is placed inverted underneath the tubes, i.e. the underside of the top deck. Will update later on the quality of the parts being used.

Edit:

It has a preamp switch which meant that the preamp can be turned off when not in use. Speaker binding post is also included but having only 2.2W x 2 coming out of this amp, it would only be able to drive highly sensitive speakers (96dB and above, as I was quoted elsewhere).

I remembered that Joe Lau mentioned the Cayin HA-1A as an Single Ended Triode (SET) amp. The tubes used are : 1 input tube 12AX7, 1 driver tube 12AU7 and 2 power tubes 6P14/EL84.

Sound with the stock Chinese/Russian tubes:

Airy

Grainy

Deep but loose Bass

Has weight but doesn't presses onto you

Very wide soundstage, only slightly smaller than RKV

Midrange is sweet and very much enjoyable

A bit bright though.

Lacking in body, though it doesn't sound very thin, just not thick enough.

This amp needs TUBEROLLING. I've only changed the input tube to a NOS Mullard ECC83 and noticed some differences immediately. The harshness of the treble is gone. Less bright but more importantly, the midrange is very smooth and yet detailed. In fact, the Mullards does add the magical touch on the midrange. I've also heard this amp with the Mullards ECC83 and 12AX7 tubes and I must say that this amp carries alot of potential.

Couldn't give a full review as my new tubes will only be in this weekend. Incoming tubes would be a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy EL84s and a Amperex Orange Globe 12AX7 driver tube.

As there's going to be a local sgheadphones meet this coming weekend, I hope that I would be able to compare the Cayin HA-1A with the RKV.

Website below is in chinese but has pics of the exterior/interior of the amp.

http://www.ks-hifi.com/products/product015.../product015.htm

Phew! Sorry the replacement tubes can't come any sooner! Looking forward to comparing it with the RKV.

Yes, looking forward. Perhaps I will take the tubes from you on Saturday so that I can get the best combi first before the meet.

Hehehe... if you can pick me up from Changi, why not wink.gif !

most importantly, how much did it cost? tongue.gif

Hehehe... if you can pick me up from Changi, why not  !

Would love to, if only I'd a damn CAR!!! Seriously, can I meet you on Saturday instead? My itch is getting unbearable! lol.gif

Fingers crossed. Hope that with the NOS tubes, the Cayin will come close to the RKV.

adhoc:

It retails for RMB 2900. However, dun forget to add in the costs of the NOS tubes which you will definitely need.

sounds good oakley!!!

can't wait to hear your full blown review with those NOS tubes.

If it does come close to RKV...

argh why do I suddenly feel itchy? tongue.giflol.giflol.gif !

I hope the local scene would not be saturated with the Cayin HA-1A, just like the DT880s. Too many of the same thing results in less things to try out at our headphones meet.

Hmmm, perhaps I should go for the RKV or the EAR HP4?

........one.........two..............three..............four...........five...............(Counting the pennies in my piggy bank)

Errrmmmmm .........

I think I will keep the Cayin around for a year before I move on then! laugh.gif

ohmy.gif for a second I thought you were saying 'pen*s instead of pennies'

lol.giflol.gif

yeah agree too much of the same thing won't be good..

so.. I urge you to spring for RKV!! tongue.gif

then sell me ur cayin biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Blues .... there you go again ... playing with that 'little elephant' blush.gif thought of yours. I think I'd better change it to coins instead.

Strangely, a tingling sensation in my brain tells me that I should keep the Cayin, even if I do get the RKV/EAR, aww man.... it must be that 'little elephant' toying with my brain. tongue.gif

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

OK I'll PM you my h/p no. later if you don't already have it.

Oak,

Just wondering how do you know that Blues has a little elephant?

I can't wait to hear the Cayin and the RKV. I guess these 2 will be the "show stoppers"

Just wondering how do you know that Blues has a little elephant?

LOL lol.gif Yeah .... little elephant could be a vicious anaconda in disguise!!!

I can't wait to hear the Cayin and the RKV. I guess these 2 will be the "show stoppers"

I just hope I can get the Cayin to be a show stopper!

Marc, do U want my MF A3CD to partner your Cayin during the meet or U've intention to bring your CD17Mkiii?

Oops, forgot to reply you on this. Yes, I would want to partner with the A3CD cos' my intention is to bring the Cayin only! Thanks brudder!

Just read tomcat's reply on the Cayin at head-fi and apparently, with the Cayin's output transformer tuned to 33~64ohms setting, there's alot of humming in the background. I've yet to try the lower ohmage settings that but there isn't any audible humming when set at 121~300ohms. Unless I turned the volume knob to > 1 o'clock.