ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

Whats the meaning of Pro Bias? Seems like those newer models only have 2x Pro Bias and doesn't have the 1x Normal Bias on SRM-T1 already.

"Electrostatic headphones, like electrostatic speakers, work on a push-pull arrangement. When one of the stators is going up in voltage, the other stator must decrease in voltage so that the diaphragm can move due to the static charge. " Kelvin Gilmore

Unlike dynamic cans which have a signal and a return cable for each driver, electrostats have a additional bias conductor, which provides the power to "drive" the electrostatic drivers. As such, there are 3 conductors to each driver in electrostatic headphones.

The difference btw pro and normal bias is the bias voltage (abt 230V for normal and 580V for pro) that drives the earspeakers. Normal bias earspeakers have 6 pins on the connector while the pro have 5. Stax didn't have pro bias earspeakers and amps until 1979-1981 with the introduction of the SRM-1 amplifier. Thereafter, most of the amps have both normal & pro bias jacks.

The normal bias was removed from their amps with the advent of the SRM-717 in 2000, hence all (if I not wrong again) the newer Stax amps from them are all pro bias. However, it must be noted that different manufacturers have different bias settings for their headphones, which will affect performance and longevity of their products; eg, HE60 540V, Jade 600V, Koss ESP950 600V. Generally, more bias volt will better drive the headphone but over doing it will shorten the life or kill the headphone.

Note: You can plug in a pro-bias earspeaker into a normal bias jack, no damage but just poorer performance from being under driven. Do not, however, plug a normal-bias earspeaker into a pro bias jack as that would effectively kill the normal-biased earspeaker. (Stax headphones are known as earspeakers). But then again, you wouldn't be able to plus the normal-bias earspeaker into the pro-bias slot because of the 6th pin on the earspeaker end.

Any other pros please chime in if I made a mistake in the above. :grin:

More info on the history of Stax earspeakers can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Earspeakers

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html

Edited by jig_sg

ya loh.... saving $1.00 daily fm now :grin:

welcome!! :smoke:

can i try? lol. i miss the meet that time and my motive of going is to try stax :x

woot thanks jig_sg. lol

wa like that means. its best to use the earspeaker with an amp from the same company? so that it will have the maximum longevity and best performance?

Edited by Duck-in-the-Box

my dac is good ler but it can be better hehe :ppth:

been searching at website and found something interesting.......and it is custom build to yur preference :thumbup:

Doesn't look fierce leh. It like those diy from Sim Lim Tower. :whistle:

Edited by ical

can i try? lol. i miss the meet that time and my motive of going is to try stax :x

sure u can.

@ ical,

waw! your signature very hardsell leh :bash:

Much prefer mine :grin:

Edited by jig_sg

We called that computer not source. :whistle: Unless you want to go separated transport and DAC, if not forget about DAC and get a cdp!! :bash: SOURCE IS EVERYTHING!!

Right now, you just need a good transport for your Xindak DAC and with your coming fire chicken, your quest is complete. :party:

This is the real thing:

post-3069-1257184731_thumb.jpg

post-3069-1257184741.jpg

post-3069-1257184750_thumb.jpg

post-3069-1257184760.png

post-3069-1257185210.jpg

post-3069-1257185217.jpg

post-3069-1257185227.gif

post-3069-1257185233.jpg

post-3069-1257185249_thumb.jpg

post-3069-1257185257.jpg

post-3069-1257185266.jpg

post-3069-1257185273.jpg

post-3069-1257185460_thumb.jpg

Edited by ical

haha :D my wallet is crying otherwise :bash:

too rich for me but i guessing i can borrow my friend's Reimyo CDT777 and Dap-999Ex to try

will decide later whether in future i wan go for it

At $30k, they're the flagship series and one of the best combo around. Obviously they've to be good to commend that price. You want to borrow my friend Clear Audio Statement? :bash: Bro, compare with something within your budget. :ppth:

No need for Reimyo. Just get a normal cdp and use it as a transport will exceed what you've now. :smoke:

ai, i saw something :grin:

post your new toy pal :grin:

Camera down. :cry:

Edited by ical

lol then how bout this? :bash:

Wah... :drool: nice bro. At least, you have a nice Dac now. Woot!

We called that computer not source. :whistle: Unless you want to go separated transport and DAC, if not forget about DAC and get a cdp!! :bash: SOURCE IS EVERYTHING!!

Right now, you just need a good transport for your Xindak DAC and with your coming fire chicken, your quest is complete. :party:

This is the real thing:

Wah, you pictured my 2 favourite dream cdp leh.... Metronome & Burmester! :grin: Songz dah.