ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

Jojo, you should check out the Astin Trew AT3500plus. Cost less than half of what you're looking at. It steal the attention from a high-end turntables at a recent Europe Hifi show. At a home demo, it matched a super high-end Japanese separated transport/DAC (I believe it's Reimyo CDT777 and Dap-999Ex).

http://astintrew.blogspot.com/

Stax as it very sensitive to source so I've been planning to get a high-end balanced cdp. But this cdp changed mine regardless of cost. I'm even willing to compromise since it only has unbalanced output. That's how good it is! Just replaced my standard version with plus and NOS Siemens CCa tube. Enjoying it now. Yes, it sound does remind me of LP.:grin:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by ical

EAR Acure and Nagra damn nice sia. lol.

AT3500plus win Nagra?

:blink:

I seriously doubt so

To be realistic, I'll be happy enough if it can beat those that cost double or the most, triple it's price. Yet to hear for myself how it compare to those high-end source side by side. So far, Wadia and Naim is the only high-end source that I've heard from headphone and I would say I get the same kind of enjoyment from Astintrew. It's performance really impress me!

then cal should get a Nagra straight :whistle:

Bro, you know how much is Nagra CDC? :bash: It cost about $18k depending on options. Worst part is it's look doesn't look that expensive but of course it's sound that's matter. Maybe if I own a Woo WES or BHSE then it worth considering such a source. There's no distributor locally so no way I'm putting my head out for something that cost so much based on good reviews without an audition.

Edited by ical

To be realistic, I'll be happy enough if it can beat those that cost double or the most, triple it's price. Yet to hear for myself how it compare to those high-end source side by side. So far, Wadia and Naim is the only high-end source that I've heard from headphone and I would say I get the same kind of enjoyment from Astintrew. It's performance really impress me!

Bro, you know how much is Nagra? :bash: It cost about $18k depending on options. Worst part is it's look doesn't look that expensive but of course it's sound that's matter. There's no distributor locally so no way I'm putting my head out for something that cost so much based on good reviews without an audition.

Hehee, I think EVERYTHING else got distro right? Yes? No? Organize a audition party and we go chiong and audition until we listen to all (Jojo can bring his apache and HD800 along to maintain consistency :P) or until we kenna banned! :grin:

Edited by jig_sg

By the way AT3500 and AT3500plus looks the same outside? Its the components inside thats different?

Yes, they look completely the same except for the parts inside and a certificate to prove that it's a plus version. Even their lower range AT-3000 and amp look alike. I believe it their way of keeping the cost down for housing.

Edited by ical

LOL! Didn't know it cost that much, never do homework.

I'm always for upgrading several notches in one leap so as to eliminate multi-staged upgrades which waste money and time. The best is to save until can upgrade substantially but of course it doesn't mean the most expensive is the best and as they have said over and over its about matching and how it sounds. But then again, it would still cost some to hear a substantial difference in quality, not forgetting it must look DAMN CHIO!!!

Edited by jig_sg

FINALLY you're saying something that make sense. :whistle: Ok, get back to your work! :bash:

Hehee, I think EVERYTHING else got distro right? Yes? No? Organize a audition party and we go chiong and audition until we listen to all (Jojo can bring his apache and HD800 along to maintain consistency :P) or until we kenna banned! :grin:

Haha! Why do just do it once and for all in a day at this Saturday hifi show. :grin: But don't ask me along. :whistle:

Edited by ical

I'm always for upgrading several notches in one leap so as to eliminate multi-staged upgrades which waste money and time. The best is to save until can upgrade substantially but of course it doesn't mean the most expensive is the best and as they have said over and over its about matching and how it sounds. But then again, it would still cost some to hear a substantial difference in quality, not forgetting it must look DAMN CHIO!!!

Amen to that! :prettyprincess:

But seriously after the rounds of testing (with consistency of the Apache and HD800 of course :grin: ). The EAR Acute seems to be the current winner. Even to a few CDPs that cost 2x the price. ;)

But some expensive systems I tried like Jig_sg's orpheus CDP even not using the Apache tells me it's way better in terms of Sound qualiity compared to the Acute but it's more that 2x the price of the Acute though. :shocking: Thus it's really important to be able to try out the source.

Anyway, the Astin Trew is also a great source from personal trials. My personal problem. I can hear the difference of having a balanced and an unbalanced source with my ears. :sweat: I know Astin trew is cooking up a balanced version but there is still no official word to its release and final price. :rclxub:

The Cary came into my mind because of the digital input capabilities utilizing the built in DAC. Though I have no idea of it's price localy and most importantly how it sounds. :think:

@jojo

Cary is known more for their amp than source which has many mix reviews.

From what I know, the balanced version of AT3500+ is going to cost much more. :cry:

Looks like your mind is set at EAR Acute. Go for it!! :party:

Edited by ical

I find Nagra damn chio. lol.

FYI that Nagra has a headphone output and can act as a preamp as well so can save some money :grin:

A worthwhile investment, no? BTW, you don't see many Nagra CDPs up for sale often on Audiogon lest to say Echoloft unlike Cary, Wadia, CEC, Esoteric, Emmlabs, etc.

Burmester is also good. Their 061 CDP has digital in/out, balanced/unbalanced outputs, solid design, proven transport, DAMN CHIO (shiny shiny can use as mirror for adjusting headphone somemore). Their 001 is up from the 061 and has preamp functionality! Price? Cheap cheap la... 061 $12K, 001 $14K..... USD :P About same range as Nagra. So choice is yours, one is German, other is Swiss.