ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

o.o

then how to get the 404LE in singapore?

The local distributor is not that keen to promote Stax. You'll have to get it online.

Edited by ical

or u can ask Kingsley to bring in. but u must pay up-front... then wait....

But there'll be many happy days in the meantime. :D

I really must find time to sneak in and enjoy the K1000. :lust:

The K1000 is EXCELLENT. I was very impressed. I greatly favoured it over the HD800.

or u can ask Kingsley to bring in. but u must pay up-front... then wait....

full sum? nevermind i go try out if i like Stax ornot first. heard that they are very neutral.

or any seniors here can let me have a try of their setup? :whistle:

If I can get T1+404LE at what Kidult got it for, can consider. :P

I must say that the deal Kidult got on his amp is, perhaps, one of a kind? I, too, was surprised at the price it was listed at and further, it was listed for sometime with no buyer. I guess it was meant to be Kidult's... :P

Or rather he was "enlightened" at just the right time :D (I admit I am biased towards electrostats; Staxheads FTW!)

Nonetherless, any of the following would be a good acquisition:

SRM1/MKII (solid state)

T1 (tube)

T1S (tube with balanced inputs)

T1W (tube with balanced inputs, preamp function & variable bias)

More expensive as it goes down the list.

The SRM1/MKII is generally easier to find and is a cheaper option as well. It performs respectably too.

Of course, the best (2nd wise) would be to find a 717, which generally costs between US$1,200 - US$1,500, based on recent transactions online.

If all fails, an 007t is also not bad, though would not cheap (still cheaper than a 717).

This should have more than sufficient, if using with any of the Stax earspeakers other than the O2. But it does not mean it can't power the O2, it can, like the the T1. However, if you listen to the O2 with the 717 or any more powerful stax amp then you will feel that it can do with more power than what the 007 or T1 can offer. Then again, this is only if you are very very particular. Nonetheless, with the other earspeakers, the 007 and T1 can be very musical so long as you are not a headbanger or half deaf.

But do beware of the 006t variant. Its not that it lousy or something, its a good amp in its own right but only if paired with an efficient earspeaker like the 404. Not sure about the 404LE though, I suspect it may not be a perfect match. I had the 006t and 404 once upon a time and it sounded good together but when I tried it with a Lambda Pro.... :blink: i could only turn the volume up to 2 o'clock and beyond that the volume didn't increase with the attenuator.

Edited by jig_sg

full sum? nevermind i go try out if i like Stax ornot first. heard that they are very neutral.

or any seniors here can let me have a try of their setup? :whistle:

You can pm us. I'm at far east, kidult at far north, jig_sg at west. We covered almost all corners of Singapore. :grin:

Edited by ical

there are only so little SS to choose from? i think i will prefer SS ones :whistle:

these are all still available from stax? or have to get them from those people that are selling.

looks like i can pm jig. i live in the west.

jig :whistle: are you free? :innocent:

Edited by Duck-in-the-Box

I must say that the deal Kidult got on his amp is, perhaps, one of a kind? I, too, was surprised at the price it was listed at and further, it was listed for sometime with no buyer. I guess it was meant to be Kidult's... :P

Or rather he was "enlightened" at just the right time :D (I admit I am biased towards electrostats; Staxheads FTW!)

Nonetherless, any of the following would be a good acquisition:

SRM1/MKII (solid state)

T1 (tube)

T1S (tube with balanced inputs)

T1W (tube with balanced inputs, preamp function & variable bias)

More expensive as it goes down the list.

The SRM1/MKII is generally easier to find and is a cheaper option as well. It performs respectably too.

Of course, the best (2nd wise) would be to find a 717, which generally costs between US$1,200 - US$1,500, based on recent transactions online.

If all fails, an 007t is also not bad, though would not cheap (still cheaper than a 717).

This is a 4 tube amp, power should be more than sufficient, if using with any of the Stax earspeakers other than the O2. But it does not mean it can't power the O2, it can, like the the T1. However, if you listen to the O2 with the 717 or any more powerful stax amp then you will feel that it can do with more power than what the 007 or T1 can offer. Then again, this is only if you are very very particular. Nonetheless, with the other earspeakers, the 007 and T1 can be very musical so long as you are not a headbanger or half deaf.

Thanks for all the pointers. The T1+404LE was sounding very very nice indeed. But poor recordings are more obvious than ever on Stax. :doh:

there are only so little SS to choose from? i think i will prefer SS ones :whistle:

these are all still available from stax? or have to get them from those people that are selling.

SRM-717 is out of production and quite hardly to come by though it pop up in headfi once a while.

Present model is SRM-727II, Most still prefer the old 717.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRM727II.html

Edited by ical

Thanks for all the pointers. The T1+404LE was sounding very very nice indeed. But poor recordings are more obvious than ever on Stax. :doh:

Well, HE60 does help in poor recording. Listening to those oldies and mono recording has never been better. As usual, you'll need more than one cans to cover all genres.

looks like it is difficult to try both and then choose one that i like. :wacko:

Just buy both and try them as long as you want at the comfort of your home. Then sell off the one that you don't like. :grin:

For the price of 727II, it more wise to get Headamp KGSS.

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/index.htm

Edited by ical

to make it even more complicated - SRM1/MKII Pro (solid state) had 3 serial as "A", "B" & "C".

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?ti..._SRM-1/MK-2_Pro :P:P

Generally, it is said that the latest rendition of the SRM1/MKII ("C" series) is better than the earlier ones. But then again, I guess you'll have to have a good but fussy ear to tell them apart. For me? I can't hear these differences at all, though I never had the chance to compare, I just know myself :grin: I did at one time (again) own the SRM-1/MKII C series and loved it but decided to sell all my spare and sinfully underutilized amps. Now, I have only 1 tubed amp, 1 SRD-7/MKII transformer (upgraded speaker outputs & powercord) and 1 SRD-7 transformer (mutilated).

If you have a speaker amp already, you can always try the transformer route; ie, via one of the Stax transformers (SRD-7/MKII, SRD-7SB/MKII, SRD-7Pro) which taps the signal from the speaker outputs of the amp. This is a convenient little device as you can switch between listening to the earspeakers and your speakers as there is an output for speakers which act as a loop out. This generally just takes the signal and adds bias power to the earspeakers so the "sound signature" would be that of your amp.

Just a small update....

Been getting lots of "bad influence" from some toy collector here :angry:

Ended up getting poisoned. Added a new "tweak" to my system.... right at the top peeking through.

IPB Image