Sign in to follow this  
kenshinz

Questions regarding building the CMoy

its 43ohms sorry smile.gif

i hav tried 43 & 47ohms, don't seem to hav any effect on the porta-pro

slight different with those low impedence phones, went with 43 cause i hav a 16ohm Koss plug

Edited by tropicalrips

Cmoy can be bias into class A but i didn't hear any difference. just connect a resistor between the V- and the out put will do. check this out in tangent's web page.

and bout volume pot. i think alps blue is overkill. Omeg is sucks, i tried it in three amps all failedl. dun know why?? the resistance will increase a lot for first turn then the rrest almost the same resistance.

soi think is it possible to use a lousy pot and a JFET circuit to control volume by biasing the jfet with different voltage and change their impedance....

is it linear??? possible???

If your source & headphones are up to par you will hear a difference with Class A. I noticed it while swapping from Class AB to Class A on the PCII. Sound became more open & better defined.

COrrect me if I'm wrong but the argument for Alps volume pot is not on quality alone but less channel imbalance at low volume.

I think HY is referring to the brand OMEG that is lousy, not the blue alps. Blue alps is imo decent for most audio diy, but agree with HY, for the price it's an overkill for a cmoy.. save the blue alps for bigger project like the meta42.

those big Elna caps only $0.20 each. anyone know why they are so cheap? i bought the one in the middle for $0.80 each

they are the same spec only different size unsure.gif

i will try laying the caps on their side so they can fit into the Cmoy case, will this cause problems? there is still a lot of room left on the basic cmoy board layout, going to try and make use of them hammer.gif

hav some extra parts so thought i try this smile.gif

micro Cmoy with gain of 6, it does hav enough space for the R5, tried it with my HD-570 no problem

post-2-1069182586.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

Ooh! Nice! Before long you'll probably build something like the SuperMini size! How does the sound compare with your original CMOY?

RS (or equivalent) has a nice little black (4x) AA battery case which should be able to fit it in including a single 9v battery. If you don't need it so small, use a Mint tin & squeeze in 2x 9V batteries wink.gif

it sounds the same i think, the mini may hav a little more bass impact then the micro because of the bigger caps headphone.gif but i think its just a psyhological effect lol.gif