alfasud14

Noise Cancellation Headphones

Hi all,

This is my first posting as a new member. I fly quite a bit and with the flights getting longer and more frequent, I constantly arrive tired due to the noise. I am getting a set of noise cancellors soon and have already seen the Sonys, Phillips and Aiwas. I have also tested the Bose QC2 and the Sennheisers PXC250. My question is: All you travellers out there, what would you recommend? I love the Bose for the fact that I can use it wireless if I just need the NC capability and from the demo at Plaza Sing, the sound quality was not too bad too. I love the Senn for the price but not the twin cable trailing down and the long and heavy battery pack and also the fact that it lies on the ear instead of covering them. Finally, I have seen the ER4 on the net but I don't know if I can stand having them inear for 12-20 hours. Plus I think they cost more than the Bose.

Your opinions please? Thanks.

Here's my 'plug' for the Etys:

• They are alot more convenient to store for travel & take up very little space.
  • They offer the best in terms of external (& internal) isolation & sound good to boot compared with any noise cancelling headphones (I speculate as I've never heard any before).
  • Even without music playing they act as ear plugs to drown out the drone of airplane engines.
  • You don't need additional power to operate them.
The drawbacks however are:
  • I find the cable 'microphonics' a little annoying when moving. However 'looping' the cable over the ears & using the clip helps to reduce the effects significantly.
  • I've never used them for very long periods before but I do admit that initially your ear canals will ache. It shouldn't ache that much if they are inserted correctly. I got used to them after only a couple of days use. Now I can insert them & get the correct seal in mere seconds even without the need to moisten the tips. The silicone flanged tips work best for me, the foam types not so successful.
OT: Do you own/owned an alfa sud? happy.gif

alfasud,

I second the Ety's but get the 4P and not the 4s. Easier to drive out of a portable and when you wish to use it at home use the 4P to 4S converter cable (you can diy this with 2x 75 ohm resistors or you can buy the original Ety version it when you purchase the Ety).

N@Z has covered the rest of the ground here.

For plane use, I would seriously recommend getting active noise cancellation headphones, i.e. PXC250. I havent really tried noise cancellation headphones but I've read that active noise cancellation can cancel lower frequency noise better whereas isolation removes highs better. Seriously, my EX70 cannot isolate very well with the bus engine. Friends with higher voices sound softer and friends with lower voices sound a little bit louder to me and you can hear its very muffled, like higher ends removed.

Neverthelss, they Etys actually isolate a huge amount. So it should do just fine as well for plane engine isolation.

Edit: Oh yeah, I think if you use etys, there would be no way you can hear announcements/stewardess talking. PXC250 might do better because You should be able to hear the announcement/talking a little and you can then take off the PXC250 to listen to whatever.

OK, thats what I think, but has been proven wrong.

Edited by lekguan

Definitely the Ety 4Ps. Especially since you won't be moving around much on a plane, the microphonics should be a non-issue. The isolation, and sound quality is excellent, provided you get the hang of inserting them into your ears(this takes a while to get used to). Just remember to give it a week or so to get used to them, and that the key is getting a good seal, and not shoving the buds as deep into your ear canals as you can. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. Properly inserted, they will be the most comfortable earbuds you'll ever own. I've owned my Etys for several weeks now, and have used them to block out/or at least reduce to non-irritating levels the following sources of noise while commuting on the MRT and bus:

1. People talking loudly to each other

2. People talking loudly on their cellphones

3. Irritating cellphone ringtones

4. TV Mobile (*&%$#@)

5. Engine noise.

6. Babies crying

7. etc etc etc

The Etys do not 100 percent cancel out the above(unless you listen to music at high volume), but reducing the noise level by 20+ decibels makes a huge difference, and allows you to listen to music at low volume levels without sacrificing details. Not to mention the fact commuting becomes that much more pleasant.

Note: I can hear the automated MRT station announcements when listening to the Etys. They sound a lot softer, but I can hear what station I'm at without having to remove them. lol.gif

Edited by av98m

Yes, announcements don't get unnoticed at all with the etys just muted due to the hi pitched screechy nature of the speakers used.

Conventional foam or enclose method would help to reduce high frequency noise. As for low frequency one (less than 100), the conventional means proven insufficient to "kill" these noise as they have different wave lenght.

Active noise cancelling is a better proven method for low freq noise. Had done a project at poly before... smile.gif

That is the reason why I bought the DT770, it will be modify... rolleyes.gif into.... kicking.gif (don't tell you) ppth.gif

Cool! Have you collected then jason?

OT: Do you own/owned an alfa sud? 

Thanks, all. Yes, I do believe I will end up with an active cancellation one. Who sells the Ety buds? Will they allow any testing? Btw, I notice that no-one even mentioned the Bose? Is it because it is bad or because it is expensive? Also, last weekend I went to the That CD Shop and tried on their AKG phones. Those were great except that they are not NC ones, I don't think.

And yes, I did once owed an Alfasud. Sweet ride....wakes the neighbours up every morning.

Edited by alfasud14

Btw, I notice that no-one even mentioned the Bose? Is it because it is bad or because it is expensive?

Expensive? Hohoho......it's a word that means nothing to some of the guys here.

Etys are In-ear monitors from Etymotics Research. Rather good at isolating, through passive noise isolation, not the active opposite sound wave thingy. Fellow competitors include Shure, Westone and Ultimate Ears.

Bose is known for being over-priced, but rather good for long flights (effective at dulling out airplane hums. Most people at headfi would disagree with me though. There is an active group of Bose Bashers.

Thanks for the info, guys. OK, I am an audiophile for many years, but completely new with headphones. After 3 long trips to the US in my new job this year, I am about to go crazy. I think I need to research more before deciding. This ETYS thingy, I don't understand how it block out sound, I mean physically, compared to a big cup over the ears. Guess I have to set my priority, sound quality or effectivess in blocking out sound.