Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Amp for the Sleeping Pill,

Basically from what I understand the the HD-600 need low impedence output and higher voltage.

So I was thinking of asking Mr. Firefox to make a Grado RA-1 clone with say 12 volts per channel. It might fry the op-amps but I don't think so. Then if it is possible to increase the value of the Solen caps.

Lets see avel lindberg dual mono transformers (about S$220 in cost). Elna blue 1st stage regulation with black gates in second stage (another S$200 or so). Larger Solens some Holco resistors a black gate pot and.... Muhahaha.

Or maybe go for a two box design i.e. Seperate the amp from the power supply. Not Unlike the Headline which you guys modded a couple of months back. I heard the Headline some years ago with the NAPSC and the higher spec'd HiCap and the difference was day and night. The noise floor with the HiCap appears to have vanished leaving the Headline to proccess the source signal in a clean environment, so to say.

And the Gilmore V1 and V2 designs are centered around a dedicated power supply albeit housed in one box, this is one voodoo that has to me been proven to reap alot of sonic benefits. Barradio's Headline/NAPSC combo in the last meet does give the Gilmores some lessons it should learn from IMHO.

I remembered when Headamp (antness) could not finalise the power supply issues with the recent power buy of the Gilmore Lite, was enough to make me not commit.

And yes I'm a believer of a seperate power supply and it's a good concept too, what say everybody?

Or maybe go for a two box design i.e. Seperate the amp from the power supply. Not Unlike the Headline which you guys modded a couple of months back. I heard the Headline some years ago with the NAPSC and the higher spec'd HiCap and the difference was day and night. The noise floor with the HiCap appears to have vanished leaving the Headline to proccess the source signal in a clean environment, so to say.

And the Gilmore V1 and V2 designs are centered around a dedicated power supply albeit housed in one box, this is one voodoo that has to me been proven to reap alot of sonic benefits. Barradio's Headline/NAPSC combo in the last meet does give the Gilmores some lessons it should learn from IMHO.

I remembered when Headamp (antness) could not finalise the power supply issues with the recent power buy of the Gilmore Lite, was enough to make me not commit.

And yes I'm a believer of a seperate power supply and it's a good concept too, what say everybody?

nope lets go for a 3 box design. 2 box for the left and right channel power supply and another box for the amp. That will be way much cooler!!

when you guys said that the hd600 sounded bright with the ppa, was that grado bright? like the vocals were more forward and higher? if so i like that laugh.gif

currently i have the mg head, it's good but it's a bit slow for rock music. i don't think getting another amp will solve this, but i am curious.

I strong recommand the MG Head OTL MKII.

It is designed and manufactured in PRC. It is real a good partner for HD600 at reasonable price.

And you also can try some DIY one like I mentioned before.

Some of those are designed for 501 and some for HD600.

Dont think the sound of those DIY amps is "cheap" coz the price is "cheap".

I have ordered one to drive my HD600. If anyone interest, I could let you audition it next month.

(still waiting for the package shipped to the singapore and need time to run in the circuitry and tube) w00t.gif

Edited by lszomb

In fact, there are three amps suitable for the HD600 with different styles.

but I could not order so many amps coz shorting the money whistling.gif

so i choose the one i think is best. headphone.gif

iconic - even the Grado RA-1 does this to the Senn HD-600. So far that little amp has a very good synergy with the HD-600 (even with stock cables).

But I'm looking forward to hearing Iszomb's amp when it comes in (after 150 -300 hours of burn-in).

The 'standard' RA-1 IMO sounded too dark & a little dry with the HD600 for my taste. Maybe it's time for a revisit or hear your Modded 'clone' RA-1 rameish.

How about the "Toaster" + HD600, Rameish hum?? headphone.gif

Have yet to listen to the Toaster with the sleeping pill.... Next week any chance?

Barradio, you wanna bring it to the next meet in January?

Do what (was it) headphonecrazy or mackie that brought all their stuff in a pelican/samsonite suitcase!