Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Amp for the Sleeping Pill,

Rameish, do you mean the ra-1 makes the hd600 more forward? or still as sleepy?

hurry up chris, make me one!!!

The RA-1 does not make the HD-600 sleepy. It's more dynamic. IMO

It has better extention but the sound has less weight.

In current config the RA-1 lack weight/presence. However in a non-ra-1 config it shd. How to change it is the million dollar question. I will be consultinging with firefox on this. Retain the RA-1 flavour but give it more weight and bottom end.

In current config the RA-1 lack weight/presence. However in a non-ra-1 config it shd. How to change it is the million dollar question. I will be consultinging with firefox on this. Retain the RA-1 flavour but give it more weight and bottom end.

More juice or higher gain?

Would higher gain make any difference at all?

Would higher gain make any difference at all?

Higher gain offers greater S/N ratio (signal-to-noise ratio). However, too much gain can contribute to a clinical sound and difficulty in minute volume adjustment.

Edited by Mackie

Sounds a bit like the Sudgen Headmaster. Will have a head to head comparison the next time if possible.

I have heard quite a few amps with the HD-600s, but I can’t say I have heard one that was outright better than the RKV, maybe different. The RKV with its super high damping factor, strong voltage swing, outright power at almost 3 watts per channel, and OTL designed seems to me almost like a match made in heaven for the HD-600s. Many other OTL amps I have heard have that magic midrange on up, but just don’t cut it in the bass control department. I think the RKV signifies a very good balance of what’s great about solid-state designs, and tubes all in one package. A product that has definitely stood the test of time.

Basically from what I understand the the HD-600 need low impedence output and higher voltage.

So I was thinking of asking Mr. Firefox to make a Grado RA-1 clone with say 12 volts per channel. It might fry the op-amps but I don't think so. Then if it is possible to increase the value of the Solen caps.

Lets see avel lindberg dual mono transformers (about S$220 in cost). Elna blue 1st stage regulation with black gates in second stage (another S$200 or so). Larger Solens some Holco resistors a black gate pot and.... Muhahaha.

Right... Then it wouldn't be a clone.. More of a mutant, yes?

Any takers for the BB? lol....

cool !!! .... hope to try out during this coming meet ! if he is bring wub.gif ing !