Sign in to follow this  
headphonecrazy

A New & Improved Cayin HA-1A

There is however a very faint background noise noticed from the rolled tubes as presently I have the casing removed from the chassis & I don't have tube dampers/rings fitted. This is not noticeable at all with music playing even at low volume

I have experienced the same but much "louder" problem with one of the GE EL84 tube. If it is microphony or hum, try tilting the tube in all directions and different angles akin to handling a joystick and one position will surely "cure" the tube of this problem.

I love the bit about your hairs standing on ends! Now that's what I call sonic nirvana. The Cayin is not very responsive to power cord upgrades and this could be a boon, depending on how U look at it. If U are still using the stock cord, I suggest Belden 19364 for greater air but laidback sounding or Belden 83803 for better mid bass punch but adds a very slight tizz to treble; boding well for RKV but maybe not so for Cayin. However, both should sound better than the stock power cord.

Edited by Mackie

Does it matter what type of sockets & plugs I use for the cable & how effective is it for the outboard DAC?

To some, it matters....depending how discernible your ears are and if the extra outlay for Wattgate/Hubbel is worthwhile. Otherwise, a MK hospital grade 3-pin UK plug and Schurter/Marinco IEC connectors will do the job nicely.

GIGO applies and on this notion, I found power cord upgrades on the front-end (source) have greater impact and significance to the resultant sound than amplification stage. Your outboard DAC will benefit sonically from a good power cord.

In my previous MF X-setup, I yielded more sonic benefits in power cord upgrades on cdp > jitter box or DiP > DAC than the amplification stage comprised of X-PSU + X-cans.

Edited by Mackie

..... Belden 83803 for better mid bass punch but adds a very slight tizz to treble....

erm...can explain more on the treble part?

i dont understand the word "tizz" tongue.gif

Edited by Sipher

well ... time for me to try the cayin ! happy.gif

i dont understand the word "tizz"

It's actually a peak around the treble region but this characteristic augurs well for those gears that have rolled-off highs. RKV is one of them. However, this characteristic contributes to a "sizzling" sound, similar to sibilance but of a higher octave on other gears.

Edited by Mackie

welcome.gif arj! tongue.gif

DSCN0100.jpg

Edited by N@Z

nice and glowing..

should take one with all the lights off

even better! biggrin.gif

Great idea, however I still need to learn how to take low light shots.

DSCN1318.jpg

Edited by N@Z

Better if the window lighted up blue!

Shots of the EL84 Ei Yugo power (tall) tubes & Tung Sol 5751/12AU7 (fore/aft) tubes.

Notice the ELNA caps peeping at the bottom.

DSCN0104.jpg

N@Z, if U wish to reduce mechanical vibration of your chassis cover, try this velvety measure.

post-2-1071239793.jpg

Edited by Mackie

Maybe it's placebo but I prefer the sound without the chassis cover. Sounds less congested.

I notice you've got your amp next to the window as well!