Sign in to follow this  
headphonecrazy

A New & Improved Cayin HA-1A

Holy guakamole! $300 each?! I'll try my luck with ebay then. I wished I hadn't sold Oak my Amperex Holland bugle boys EL84 now! Hehehe!

Holy guakamole! $300 each?! I'll try my luck with ebay then. I wished I hadn't sold Oak my Amperex Holland bugle boys EL84 now! Hehehe!

N@Z,

heeheehee, it's too late to regret now.

However, Mackie did mention favourably about the Ei's EL84s and I'm getting them from Frankie too, if only I can get some time off my son to go down to town. Should be rather cheap (IIRC), about S$18 per tube.

N@Z, I reckon U're beginning to enjoy the same kinda sound I've experienced through DT150 on both my RKV and Cayin headamps. U might need to update your comments on DT150 in its thread later. tongue.gif

FYI, my Cayin was tube rolled to the following: CV4003, CV4004 and a pair of Ei Yugo EL84s. JJ 84s are not bad but sound a tad brighter and less airy than Yugo. Both are similarly priced.

Please let us know of your impressions of the Cayin operating in Triode and Ultralinear mode. Thanks.

Edited by Mackie

not alot more impression to write about yet only been burning it in since last night. Going out visiting again after morning gathering with His Majesty. BZ bee till probably this afternoon.

I have the Ei Yugo & JJ EL84 on standby for later listening. As I've mentioned earlier the DT150 sounded amazing with the Cayin & even preburnt in it is better than the MG Head with NOS tubes although only lacking it top end sweetness.

Imagine the potential after tube rolling the Cayin. I had high regards of it in stock condition but my eyes widened after the tube rolls. Get ready to pop dude!

Btw, if U have some wooden/ceramic/polycarbon cones lying around, place 2 at the front and one at the back center - just underneath the transformer. The sound might surprise U. I'm using BDR 4 cones in this config.

Edited by Mackie

Concerning tuberolling, does the output tubes 12AX7 & 12AU7 have to be from the same brand & same gain? Can I use different tube equivalent & in any gain rating I desire for each one?

I'm not an expert in tubes but I prefer to stick with the gain guidelines. Experiment with different tubes at the fore should be ok though.

OK, I know you use the Ei Yugo & JJ's for your Power tubes Mackie. What tubes do you use to replace the 12AX7 & 12AU7? Also which one of them is the Fore & Aft tubes? The manual doesn't say anything & I can't read Chinese!

What about Northern Oak & Headphonecrazy, what combo do you use?

N@Z,

ECC81/12AT7, ECC801S, 6201, 7728

12AU7 = CV4003 = ECC82 = E82CC = ECC802S = 5814 = 6189 = 7316 =7730 =M8136

12AX7 = CV4004 = ECC83 = E83CC = ECC803S = 7729 = M8137 != 5751 (lower gain at approx 70 - 75% of a 12AX7 - may not be used in all circuits- check with manufacturer before using).

ECC88/6DJ8, E88CC/6922, E188CC/7308, CCa, E288CC/6883

Thanks guys. So I can't swap tubes for the AX with the AU positions? Which position is which Sam?

The tube that is further back is the AU and the one closer to glass opening is the AX. If you look closely to them the AU has a simple two plate structure, whereas the AX insides are more complicated.

I got a pair of Mullards CV4003 from Rameish. I don't think he has any CV4004 or does he? That's why I was wondering whether the 12AX7 posistion can take the 12AU7 or equivalent tube. I only have a JJ 12AX7 but plenty of 5751 from GE, RCA, Raytheon & Sylvania. The lower gain output tubes are good for increasing the range of volume pot operation on the MG Head.