Sign in to follow this  
headphonecrazy

A New & Improved Cayin HA-1A

Thanks Mackie for the website. Are the prices bargainable? Do they allow for auditions for tubes?

Also, was eying the E88CC Mullard tubes but don't understand the difference between CV2493 (S$85) and CV2492 (S$55).

Can anyone explain the difference?

Thanks.

Scriberex

Frankie of Wells is an OK guy but I personally do not think he will allow auditioning of tubes.

And the Mullards CV series are all NOS "new old stock" military grade tubes - rare + end of production - in other words can command the "price", IMHO his prices are fairly reasonable.

Dang, they're out of ECC803s Teles.

headphonecrazy,

IIRC, tomcat (head-fi) mentioned that the ultralinear mode is the mode that the previous Cayin HA-1A was design upon.

Hmm... whets my appetite! Forgot to ask, HC, are both the units the same finish?

Hmm... whets my appetite! Forgot to ask, HC, are both the units the same finish?

Cosmetically the "white" version is different from V1 as the circular ring that holds the glass opening is also white in this version.

Sound wise, from my very brief listening episode with them, I personally preferred the triode mode.

Basically triode - less power but better handling & less noise: ultralinear - more power but noisier (like in on steroids). There is unquestionably a difference in sound between V1 & V2.

wink.gif

How much power is it putting out now in integrated mode?

The "white" version is probably similar to my set with silver chassis and cover while the rim around the gazing window is finished in shiny "platinum".

Naz, the Cayin produces 2.2W on 8 ohms load for my set.

I'm confused now, will the ones we ordered be the same finish as the photo above & have the black or silver chassis cover.

Naz, the Cayin produces 2.2W on 8 ohms load for my set.

Woo.. Powerhouse! w00t.gif How much worse will V2 be?

Mine is here & up & running-in right now. Have about 4 hours under it's belt so far. Initial listening seems very positive. Using Triode mode & the DT150. Initially after 30 mins powering up it sounded a tad harsh but it seemed to have gone now. Bass is WOW! Weighty, punchy & tight. For the first time I hear airy sound from the DT150.

I'm very surprised at it's physical dimensions as it looks smaller that I remember it initailly from the meet. It runs quite hot compared with the MG Head. The casing is hot to the touch especially around the vents.

Enjoy your new toy. Hope you arn't thing of sticking NOS 2A3 tubes into them are you? Kidding of course as you would have a single ended triode amp that goes poof! They aren't even pin compatible.

tongue.gif Very funny! The MG Head's NOS tubes will be the sacrificial lamb so to speak. Once I've put some mileage into the new toy & I've familiarised myself with the stock sound of the chinese tubes that when the 'rolling' starts.

Yup. Want me to check if frankie has some nos e84s. Just to let you know what prices are like he sells Mullard EL34 for S$300 a tube. So in my speaker amp I would need to spend S$1200 just for the power output stage. I would hazzard a guess and say if he does have any special ones like telefunken they wouldn't be lower than S$100 a piece. Cheap IMO as some pre-amp tubes go fo a lot more. EL84s are generally cheaper then EL34s.