Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Which is the most detailed can?

Guys

Good news! The STAX is IN! Ready for audition.

I should be at Kingsley this Sat afternoon.

Did I mention the OMEGA is there too?

Edited by cmk

hehe I know what you mean hc. Should I be tempted by going don on monday and spending a few hours there or shall I wait for burn in to occur and go down in two or 3 weeks time or shall I just pick up an AKG K-1000 or shall I pick up CMK's melos and go get a Grado HP-2?

I think my poor head is gonna hurt with decisions. And of couse if I do get any of the above a new source is a must sigh.

whoa! need to slow down a bit.

The Omegas are in a class of their own. Build quality, comfort, sound quality. It is clearly better than the 4040. On classical music, the sense of space and separation are really good. The 4040 was also good in producing that engulfing type of sound, but the bass was some what lacking and so the tonal balance was a little tilted. The one area which I think is the weakness of electrostatics is their dynamics, when compared to dynamic cans. However, these impressions are NOT conclusive as the Staxes were not run-in fully. Also, after we finished, they kept them back into the boxes. dry.gif

Suggest you go have a listen and hear if they light your boat. The one thing about them is their delicacy and nuances are really in a class of their own.

BTW, I was free, and kinda itchy backside, so I dropped by Retrospective today and heard these cans :

AD10

A1000

L3000

The AD10 leaked. Sounded decent, good detail, but lacked the bass resonating chamber of the other 2 cans. Highs were airy.

The A1000s were pretty good, very detailed, smooth, excellent separation. A more refined version of the AD10. The OFC copper voice coil and lead wire proving to enhance the tonal balance of this can.

The L3000 is a whole different kettle of fish. By far the most refined, having the detail of the A1000s, plus the added refinement of communicating the essence of the music. Amazingly good. Unfortunately the price is also very good. Although my first experience with this can was nothing to shout about, I am now convinced that this is a very special headphone, one that can keep you happy for a long time.

Note that these observations were done over a short period of time with the cans not fully run-in. Overall, I liked the A1000, but I liked the L3000 even more. Not sure if a tube amp driving the A1000 could challenge the L3000.

I wonder if retrospective does carry Audio-Technica A900 too, as the can is quite popular in the head-fi circle . I saw the A1000 and L3000 there though ...

where is retrospective?....hee the big bro of the A900! WoW!

The shop that has a lot of LPs and an aquarium fronting it. Almost directly opposite Soundscape Hifi.