Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

just got my sennheisr hd600 initial impressions

I hope you didn't buy the HD600 solely for listening to rock blink.gifunsure.gif ..

coz IMO it puts me to sleep with rock music lol.gif

You should get an amp that's capable of driving headphones to their maximum 'dynamics' potential. Although the amount of dynamics and top-end extention on the HD-600's aren't very much, it'd make your music listening more enjoyable. Previously I couldn't put on the HD600's for more than 30's.

Now I can plug it into my BBamp for at least a few tracks though it's not as exciting as the Grado SR-225's or Beyer DT-931's.

That's considering that my amp's design just about squeezes every last drop of dynamics out of any headphones plugged into it (ask av98m, he can vouch for it). The other amps that at least match or have more dynamics than the BBamp that I've heard are the Sugden Headmaster and Kevin Gilmore Class A dynamic headphones amplifier.

One major fact about the HD600's is that the stock cable simply needs replacement. It's an absolute flop. Consider the Zu Mobius or Stefan cables. The Clou's a bit too stiff but otherwise sounds reasonably better than the stock.

the main genres i listen to are rock, blues, classical, oldies, new age and a little metal. but i was expecting it to have reasonable performance for rock, but then again i dun haf a good interconnect and a good amp and cdp, so its still early to tell, if reli sway sway not my cup of tea den ill just let this one go and try another one

ill slowly upgrade as i go along, but one thing is for sure i wun vomit 400 over bucks for a headphone cable upgrade, thats just so wrong for a headphone i bought for 210

The RA-1 didn't do too badly with the HD600s either, as far as I can tell.

BTW, you can try out that giant headphone yourself at Musiclink, they had a pair the last time I was there. They're known as Jenkins Floats, I think. lol.gif

the main genres i listen to are rock, blues, classical, oldies, new age and a little metal. but i was expecting it to have reasonable performance for rock, but then again i dun haf a good interconnect and a good amp and cdp, so its still early to tell, if reli sway sway not my cup of tea den ill just let this one go and try another one

ill slowly upgrade as i go along, but one thing is for sure i wun vomit 400 over bucks for a headphone cable upgrade, thats just so wrong for a headphone i bought for 210 

Believe me, I have tried various more than decent amps, cdp,interconnects and the various replacement cables with the HD600. They are not not suited for rock or fast paced music. It still can't beat a a SR225 paired with PCDP.

Edited by lengcm

Just my 2 cents worth, if rock is what you listen to often, the HD600 is not the right pair of phones. I've heard them before, and they are smooth and polite.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a good pair of headphones for rock music. Generally, if strong bass is what you want, closed headphones are better at that.

If you want, you can come over to my place to test your headphones. I've got a headphone amp and a Beyer DT880. The DT880 sounds quite neutral to me, and I think it will suit someone who listens to different types of music.

Bring your CDs though as I don't have any rock CDs. tongue.gif

Edited by sayhitojason

Hey Jason. Glad that you like the amp+dt880 combo, afraid if not u will kill me for recommending that amp. tongue.gif what source u r using btw?

papaya, u use hd600 for rock.. oh my god.. ohmy.gif u really have special taste sleep.gif , i agree with blues that rock with hd600 will make u sleep. biggrin.gif btw, what amp u got from digi?

Rock is a fairly generalised word. I don't think the HD600 fails completely. In some of the varied types of Rock music I listen to I find it acceptable if not quite enjoyable however this is in my system & my somewhat different "driven by mood" taste to sound compared with you guys. The Grados do have more excitement I must admit & sometimes being able to have a choice to swap works for me.

Don't be too dissapointed papaya86, at least you bought it at a bargain. I still think you need to listen to it with a better amp & source. It won't make it a rock headphone for sure but at least it will perform better, who knows you might even enjoy it. If after a while you still cannot get accustomed to the sound signature you can always sell it off here.

i wasnt going to use these for rock music, but i was expecting a more reasonable performance for rock, im going to get a grado sr225 in future so ill see how it goes. it does fairly well for pop rock, like beatles and those gu niang rock like ben folds five etc but for heavy rock its a torture to listen to. but anyway its still early ill run it in 24/7 for 2 more weeks and when the amp comes i'll confirm my findings here, even more leceh is that i haven even got a decent cd player, any recommendations for budget cd players to tide me through until i have enough dough to fork out for a good one? thanks for all the input, appreciate it.

Would this be out of your budget? Heard it during one of the SGH meets I attended, with the DIY Big Ben amp & CD3K awesome combination.

Well i recommended that player to him, N@Z, but is up to him to decide ....

O.o ya i am afraid that i don't have time for you, Papaya86 cos i am rather busy with my school works and other stuffs ... plus i cannot confirm i still had that player when i am free to let you try out, because my good buddy is returning back in 1 week time ?? ( am i right blues ? ) happy.gif

Well Papaya, please don't keep saying that a $200 cans cannot or not worth to match a $400 cable .. you never know how it sound until you heard it !!. O.o ya also another good point is if you like the sennheisr sound you may upgrade the cans and use that very expensive cable for the new one !??? ( well it will save you some $$$ ) laugh.gif

plus you may not really need a player, i suggest a PC to amp combo is good ( of cause, you must purchase a good sound card ) wub.gif

no comments on the can's comparison beacuse i am not expose much to sennheisr can's sounding !! Well i dare to say i am a BIG fan of beyer 150/880 and Sony CD3K hehee !! lol.gif

chances are i'll get the olbach cable, 400 bucks for something i bought so darn cheap just sounds so dumb to me, i rather spend the 400 bucks on a grado sr225.

It does make good economical sense. Since U're already bent on buying SR225 for your rock collection, concentrate and utilise HD600 for what it does best in other genre. As yet, no one cans perform perfectly well in all genre.

It does make good economical sense. Since U're already bent on buying SR225 for your rock collection, concentrate and utilise HD600 for what it does best in other genre. As yet, no one cans perform perfectly well in all genre.

Actually, I wouldn't say that. I've found the Joseph Grado Signature HP-1000 series HP-1's to perform extremely well in virtually any kind of music. Alas.. They're hard to come by.. And not exactly very cheap at US$700 - US$1k.