Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

The mini D70 users thread

I think the blue cast/slight underexposure is quite common for out of pic cam from Nikon D70. You need alot of PP to bring out the best in them. it's always quite tiring especially if you've got lots to edit. Sometimes I look at my friend's canon eos300D and wondered myself why I got the d70.. whistling.gif

Ok so you were using automatic mode for the flah and the cloth in fluroscent lighting - that should have given you a slight green cast. Ok try this, adjust your cam for fluorescent light (there should be 2 modes). Then test again.

If it's still blue your flash probably hasnt been used in a while - a week to a month (at full power).

Alternatively try a cc filter.

A cheap alternative is to use a white coffee filter bag and do a white balance.

Yeah all pics have some blue cast.

There's a discussion going on here :

http://www.dphoto.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1548

Edited by Rameish

Unfortunately Rameish, changing the WB to 'fluorescent' on the D70 doesn't make it any better in fact the blue/green cast is even worse than 'auto' mode. Using WB on' flash' mode gives a warmer cast but since I can change that in PS (as I'm using RAW files all the time) I don't bother adjusting the WB individually since I can change that anyway. I think I'm just plain lazy to do all the WB pre-shoot. Will give it a go next time.

In this case, it could be as you've mentioned, the flash was not firing at full power since I haven't used it for nearly a week.

Thanks for the link.

I think the blue cast/slight underexposure is quite common for out of pic cam from Nikon D70. You need alot of PP to bring out the best in them. it's always quite tiring especially if you've got lots to edit. Sometimes I look at my friend's canon eos300D and wondered myself why I got the d70.. whistling.gif

Actually I notice your shots (& mine) mostly are underexposed most of the time. Good for detail but not to my taste. What I'm trying look for is to get a more natural look without looking flat (i.e. default setting). I don't mind doing post processing on PS as fine tuning or for adding final effects however not major work.

maybe time to try and play with those custom curves.. biggrin.gif

i set my WB to "direct sunlight" when i use flash

when indoor under fluoresent light, if the lighting is strong like in public places or MRT stations tongue.gif i set to "standard fluoresent"

at home or when the fluoresent is not as strong i use "fluoresent -1" to remove the blue cast

i've change the default curve to "midtone boost" after about a week of using the D70 smile.gif this seems to "cure" the under exposure problems, i also usually shoot in 2 modes, i'll take a shot with A-mode then one more with manual mode with the shutter speed set to 1 or 2 stops slower then the A-mode

Just wondering, do you guys use "custom curves"? I've just uploaded "Digital_Fuji_Superia_Reala" (available from: ) to my D70 to see if it will help to reduce the under-exposure characteristics. I haven't tried it out yet though.

My understanding is once you've set it via shooting menu - Optimise Image -> Custom -> Tone comp. -> custom - the custom curve is activated, does it mean that if I use any of the other settings other than Custom i.e. Normal, Vivid etc, it will revert back to the default setting?

yes N@Z smile.gif

the custom curve only works when u set to "custom" on the D70

when u set other settings, it will be the same as the default, i leave my on custom

Does changing the other settings within custom has any affect to the Tone comp.?

Does changing the other settings within custom has any affect to the Tone comp.?

u can still adjust the color mode, sharpening, saturation & hue in the custom mode, but the tone comp will remain the same curve that u uploaded into the camera

Thanks 'rips.

Q00: It's "0" at the moment.

got a chance to try the new Tokina 12-24mm F/4 lens smile.gif

very cool lens, its also a DX lens like the kit lens, the front end does not extend out when zooming from 12 to 24mm very cool feature wub.gif price : $1090 innocent.gif

user posted image

Nice lens,rips, distortion and contrast looks very acceptable. What focal length did you use for that pic?

>

Edited by heady