ablaze

Lets change servers and get our own domain name!

Will you pay $1-$2 to kickstart the move?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

after doing a lil research,

I think http://www.iwi.com.sg/june.asp seems quite liked by the members of the forum..fast and reliable

anybody have any opinions or counter-suggestions?

basically its S$12.99 per month ie. for our first year, we'll need $150 or so. including the domain registration.

hmm..sounds like a bit. 50members contributing $3 each? or 30 members contributing $5 each? donno can or not.. rolleyes.gif

ps. any dealers interested in officially sponsoring the forum? wink.gif Scorcho, Rameish?

You have been busy as a bee! I voted yes of course as I would like to pay a small fee. However I'm against mandatory fees as it may turn away future members or discourage present ones as well. A voluntary minimum yearly fee can be suggested, anyone wanting to contribute more (or less even depending on how much they can afford) are welcome. Another way would be, anyone wanting to post a For Sale or Want Ad in the Classifeds is required to pay the minimum fee. Otherwise it is free to login, search & post in threads. Not all of us have steady jobs, there also might be students etc. I think it is unfair on them if the fee is mandatory. Remember, Head-Fi and nearly all other forums are still free!

That also applies to our vendor members. They are allowed to post a banner on the main page to link to their web site or details but the fee becomes manadatory for them unless they don't advertize officially. We could also have auctions in the future! Profit goes to funding the domain name/hosting.

Once money is involved it becomes more difficult, more care has to be taken, keeping tabs of the finances (audit). Members will have higher expectations for their money & hence more moderators will be required to keep tabs on things. Maintaining the close community spirit is the key.

ablaze, ever think of approaching duckling (xtremeplace) and jason (echoloft) for info on their hosts? These 2 forums are very stable. U could even develop an affiliation to one or both of these forums for recognition and access.

Edited by Mackie

Aaaaaaaaaargh, both Xtremeplace & Echoloft are hosted in Singapore and i always have a very HARD time accessing both sites. SGheadphones is so much faster when its up...

But then again I'm speaking for perhaps less than 10 australians so I guess you can ignore me dry.gif

ablaze, ever think of approaching duckling (xtremeplace) and jason (echoloft) for info on their hosts?  These 2 forums are very stable.  U could even develop an affiliation to one or both of these forums for recognition and access.

Actually Quek is the owner and administrator of Xtremeplace. But Xtremeplace host also has it's several downtime and I haven't experience any downtime with echoloft.

Edited by jtfoo

Ablaze,

I'm of course in. Let me know if there's more I can do. I'm thinking of an auction to rasie money. No I'm not a Jan Meier and give products but I can subsidise the cost of say a Porta Corda II. I workout the details for ya privately bec I don't wish to disclose my margins obviously. Call me.

ablaze, I have a friend whose willing to host. He'll let you park the in his server for a small fee!

I'll research further and report back.

I am fine with $1-3 per year smile.gif

let the sgheadphone spirit lives on!! kicking.gif

mat, any updates?

I think I might go for this promo

Promotion 3

http://www.c-genesis.com/webhostsg.htm (their promo's not on their page though)

SGWHT Webhosting Promotion

>> No Hidden Costs! Just Pure S$69.99! / Year!

>> Server is hosted in Qala, Singapore

>> 100 MB WebSpace

>> Unmeterred Bandwidth

>> 30 POP3 Email Accounts

>> 5 Subdomains

>> 1 MySQL Databases

>> 1 Free Domain (.com/.net/.org/.info/.biz/.us) for 1 year

>> Ensim V3.5 Control Panel

>> PHP, Perl, CGI Support

>> Unlimited Technical Support

they're located locally in Qala, and should be fast. got everything we need, plus the price $70 a year, including domain registration, is less than HALF that of www.iwi.com.sg's! any objections?

ps. btw, mat, thanks. but I think a local server would be better for us.

also, as N@Z said, "contributions" will be strictly voluntary. and anonymous if you like wink.gif

That sounds good to me! What does everybody else say?

Is there a way to try them out on a test run or something??

Dude, check them out personally maybe get some ideas from the website they have hosted already and make an inquiry with the people that have engaged them. Sounds tedious but better safe than sorry! IME innocent.gif