Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

First Sgheadphone meet impression

Adhoc... just add 2 more from Brunei, a few from australia & Malaysia plus the present members from Spore, I think it might reach 30.

Proposal for the next meet date, how about December before/after christmas? Or is that too far away? The only other date that is convenient for me is late October.

october?

hm... alrite, maybe can lah.

Would prefer it before the christmas holiday because I will be in indonesia . laugh.gif

Time for a new thread? Say proposal for next Meet date.

mid november.

so all those amongst us who have something-levels (eg O, A, N) can finish our papers.

good idea adhoc. November also quite good. October is also ok for me , I guess. I mean even if have exams going on, I wouldn't expect to lock myself up in the room 24 hrs rite?

Guy, not everyone thinks like u smile.gif

some ppl need to concentrate fully on 1 thing at a time

happy.gif alrite alrite..

then the date is open for me.. I am always fine as long as I am still in Sg wink.gif

You are booked, thank you in advance. yes.gif

BTW, I checked the amp this morning for a while, the hum seems gone, I will check it again later (just came back from outside).

And I also quite don't understand your tast of music and the way of auditing equipment, it's sounds like you just use a piece of music you burned into the cd-r and listen for less than one minute to make the conclusion, what music is it? What aspect are you paying attention for? What is the reference, live concert? Just curious, I think other guys also want to know, right? innocent.gif

As for your moded 570, it sound a bit weird to me, while the bass is quite strong and tight, but the vocal are not well defined, that's why you found me jerk up the volumn so high and normally I listen quite softly. headphone.gif

My favourite music of course... Mainly soft rock & alternative. There are several tracks I select though. Those are not burnt from MP3's or anything. They're exact duplicates of original albums (which I dare not bring out to maintain them in mint condition).

They are (in order of testing):

Girls & boys - blur ('Best of'; Live at Wembley arena 1999; Europe EMI)

TENDER - blur ('Best of'; Live at Wembley arena 1999; Europe EMI)

TENDER (Cornelius Remix) - BLUR ('COFFEE + TV'; Japanese import; Toshiba-EMI)

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face - COLDPLAY ('A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD'; Import; Europe EMI)

The Scientist - COLDPLAY ('A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD'; Import; Europe EMI)

A Rush of Blood To The Head - COLDPLAY ('A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD'; Import; Europe EMI)

The effect of the vocals not sounding so defined can be attributed to the cable I used. It's slightly more detailed in the high range but the vocals aren't that well defined. I have another cable which is less detailed but more smooth sounding. The bass on that cable isn't as tight as well.

My way of auditioning may seem wierd but I choose the tracks and music I'm very familiar with. Tight bass, nice vocals (many headphones give the lead singer a dry/ raspy voice), string instruments with a 'twang' that you can feel & music that is very involving are what I look for in a pair of headphones. The soundstage also matters to me. That's what the live tracks are for.

Do you think that long-term usage of your HD570 has somehow become your 'reference' cans? Quite sometime ago, my only pair of cans were the AKG501 and I tested many other phones including the HP1s and RS1 but found that they were severely lacking in soundstage. After having more experience with cans, I realised that the 501's soundstage is in fault having too large a soundstage and therefore sounding a little fake.

Perhaps the vocals should sound dry and raspy but sounded otherwise through your 570? And whats the killer track which made you reject all the cans in such a short while?

Edited by evil-zen

hm evil I agree with the 'reference' thing you pointed out.

The dt770pro was my reference can quite some time ago. I had lived with it for close to a year and listening to every other headphones seemed bright and 'wispy?'. When I first came to mackie's house to audition his dt880, I wasn't impressed by it. Alright it has big soundstage but I felt that my 770 sounded much rounder and solid. The 880 seemed like very diffused and you need to turn vol v high in order to hear the things.

It turned me off, then.

After I got the etys and got accustomed to it for 1 week, went to rameish's house 2-3 times and auditioned the grados, and 880s, I finally accepted that my 770 is at fault.

The sound is a lil boxy(typical for closed cans) and the mid is a lil recessed. Also bass is way overblown.

Today, 880 has become my reference for almost everything. Imo, the bass is very deep and tight. I am v happy with it in every area.

I believe the etys helped alot in correcting my hearing 'reference'. As ablaze also pointed out, someone has to live with the cans long enough in order to audition it. There is no way to say this can is good/bad in just a session.My humble 1 ringgit biggrin.gif

hrmm. i might be interested in your dt770 guyferd.

oh maybe not.

where did you get it from? how much can i expect a new one to cost?

I say screw it all. if one has a unique way of defining 'reference', and thats how he likes it, shouldn't bother what the others think, or whether its the 'ideal' way to listen. if for eg. firefox likes doing it that way, I say, good for him. or if guyferd likes his boomy DT770, and everything else sucks. so be it. I think its sorta like religion. you think what you want. I think what I want. don't force your ideas on me, and I won't force mine on you! happy.gif

adhoc: already sold my pair to my housemate, as I needed the money for the 880.

new.. around 270 from hung bros.

Edited by Guyferd

Do you think that long-term usage of your HD570 has somehow become your 'reference' cans? Quite sometime ago, my only pair of cans were the AKG501 and I tested many other phones including the HP1s and RS1 but found that they were severely lacking in soundstage. After having more experience with cans, I realised that the 501's soundstage is in fault having too large a soundstage and therefore sounding a little fake.

Perhaps the vocals should sound dry and raspy but sounded otherwise through your 570? And whats the killer track which made you reject all the cans in such a short while?

Not quite really. The HP-1's sounded better than my HD570's to me. Especially with vocals. I guess, most cans are ok-sounding to me w/ the exception of a few cans. However, they don't sound better on the overall to allow me to consider purchasing them.

I guess this is where one man's meat is another man's poison holds true. I might well have a very different taste of type of sound for my music. Some cans like the HD570's and HP-1's just sound very musical and involving to me, some just sound terrible to me (Closed + HD600). And the reverse probably holds true for some of you.

If you have to know, it's 'Boys & Girls' Live play that made me reject the cans.