Sign in to follow this  
variablefeedback

Recommend headphone with out-of-the-head sou

HI,

Current using Senn HD565 Ovation.

The headband has disintegrated over the years and it cannot be replaced.

Its an OK can .. especially I got them cheap many years back.

Very warm and dark SENN sound ...

Can anyone point me in the right direction ...

which can has the most out-of-the-head kind of sound?

and I am not talking about the AKG K1000 please ... $$ not enough.

want to try something different.

Currently, looking at AT ATH- W1000, good value here .. never heard it though.

Can must be available locally and must have replaceable paddings.

Thanks.

You can consider the HD600, however you need to budget in for a after market cable. I would recommend the Equinox since it gives more air as compared with the Zu Mobius. However you need to take into consideration the upstream equipment as well especaially your CDP and interconnects.

Mackie

Can you also do a comparison with the older DT990Pro and the DT990?

As expected, I also made a comparison between the two DT990s......the new version is at least a couple of notches up in terms of transparency. In short, the new DT990 breathes and emphasises one word - dimensional. I will elaborate on this in my upcoming review. I believe my modded DT990 offers greater transparency and leaner and tigher bass region and as such, I certainly would like to hear if my old 990 can pit against the new. One thing is for sure, there's no way the old 990 will surpass the new edition in the area of transparency unless virtues of the latter are not your cup of tea.

Details of my modded dt990:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=1012&hl=

Edited by Mackie

thanks for the short review.

I just heard the Grado 325i recently ....

seamless, fast and tight in short.

My Senn 565 sound warm and romantic in comparison.

Bass is slow and bloated by comparison

However I really dont dig the pads on the Grado.

Still find the Senn more comfortable.

Grado soundstage wise is not really what I expected ... it still makes you feel that you are listening to cans.

I am talking those headphones that really protray the soundstage "infront of the listener"

All headphones places me in teh band, not in frnt of teh band.

Maybe its not the headphone, but the electronics.

I remember when I was younger and my bro had this 1st Sony walkman called "Wu Dao Guan" ... really heavy and expensive stuff back then but I swear I hear the sound in front of me, not between ....

I am looking for those kinda sound.

I shd really try the DT900 (2005) next ...

From a hifi point of view, the music played during comparison makes a hugh difference, did you try the grado side by side with your senn? That's what i did the last time I bought the grado.

That's why in hifi I always go for home trial, especially when speakers are involved. Listening at your home, in your own sofa, with your own fav music always makes a great deal of diff.

Since you'll probably be going down to AA to audition the 990, I suggest you bring down your senn and fav cds.

I am talking those headphones that really protray the soundstage "infront of the listener"

Your will find your search to be elusive. Headphones are still headphones and not speakers. Your can perceive a certain amount of soundstage depth with some cans but not to the extent with speakers. Even having a crossfeed in the link offers a relatively small degree of what you are seeking. After all, lets bear in mind of the physics involved. The drivers sit directly on the ears. As yet, AKG K1000 may achieve your expectations but then again, these are known as ear speakers. tongue.gif

I remember when I was younger and my bro had this 1st Sony walkman called "Wu Dao Guan" ... really heavy and expensive stuff back then but I swear I hear the sound in front of me, not between ....

The Budokan.......Sometimes the software is the contributing factor, a well recorded live concert will sound more spacious than studio recording. Take this hint and see if it works for you......try the new DT990 and bring your attention to the vocals and the instruments in the extreme width of soundstage.

Edited by Mackie

thanks for the short review.

I just heard the Grado 325i recently ....

seamless, fast and tight in short.

My Senn 565 sound warm and romantic in comparison.

Bass is slow and bloated by comparison

However I really dont dig the pads on the Grado.

Still find the Senn more comfortable.

Grado soundstage wise is not really what I expected ... it still makes you feel that you are listening to cans.

All headphones places me in teh band, not in frnt of teh band.

Maybe its not the headphone, but the electronics.

I shd really try the DT900 (2005) next ...

Yup, the 325i is impressive indeed, I did find a bit of excess treble energy on a CD or two, probably the material - so it is not very forgiving of poor recordings (do take note). Nevertheless, the detail retrieval is quite amazing. The lower bass goes really low, certainly lower than most other cans I've heard, and it was very tight. I suppose some might like a little fuller bass, but it certainly went deep hitting around 20hz quite cleanly. The pads can be changed, so don't fret, there's some posts here on alternative pads - it will change the sound though.

When you try to compare to something you heard in the past, it is quite difficult to draw any parallels. Time does funny things to the brain and probably what you heard could never compare to what you are hearing now.

While you are at this auditioning stage, do have a listen to the Alessandro MS2i (a Grado 325i variant) as well since they are being brought in by someone in Adelphi - something quite rare.

indeed, the Grado SR325i bass is very tight. Some perceived as no bass, but is there when called upon and is very tight. Also, i am susprised no one mentioned this but the sound from thsi can is also very liquid and smooth. Yes, many says is vey detailed, bright in some cases, but its just revealing the source of the material.

When most review says this can can play rock well, I was thinking it might sound rough. All I can say that thsi is a very fast can, smooth and liquid at the same time thus it can portray a lot of power and slam through the drivers.

This is one of the can I will be shortlisting.

Hopefully I make a purchase and post it here somewhere is July/August.

My bonus time is in July lah.

Anymore recommendations besides the Grado SR325i and Beyerdynamics DT990?

Anyway, I work in Alexandra Technopark, so I'll guess I'll drop in SENN office soon, check out their cans.

I am happy with my HD565 now, just the bloody handband foam has collapsed and it is not repplaeable. Maybe I mod it lor ... kekekke ... or get my friend HD600 ... he si getting rid of it soon.

The good thing about cans for man with kids is: YOU CAN STORE THEM WHEN NOT IN USE.

Bear that in mind for those would-be father!

CHeers!

The Grado 325i shouldn't even be brought into counsideration when we're talking about soundstaging and all... I've heard it a few times and each time, its the lack of soundstage that's probably their weakness.

Talking about out of the head sound, a few cans come to my mind. First off, we have the AKG-K1000, ATH-AD2000, ATH-L3000, as well as the AKG-K701. For me, I find that the W1000 doesn't offer you what you are looking for. I've tried them and maybe its also due to personal preferences or our definition of out of the head...Anyway, I personally dislike the W1000's alot because of its thin yet thick sort of sound. It has anaemic bass for a pair of closed cans and the highs are a little edgy.

I can't comment on Beyers because I've not heard anyone of them long enough to tell the differences...

Just another thing to add, if you can't find the K1000's then your best bet would be the AD2000. But you may also give the beyers a try because I have no idea how great those new DT990 offers you that out of the head experience apart from the AD2000s.

The Grado 325i shouldn't even be brought into counsideration when we're talking about soundstaging and all... I've heard it a few times and each time, its the lack of soundstage that's probably their weakness.

Talking about out of the head sound, a few cans come to my mind. First off, we have the AKG-K1000, ATH-AD2000, ATH-L3000, as well as the AKG-K701. For me, I find that the W1000 doesn't offer you what you are looking for. I've tried them and maybe its also due to personal preferences or our definition of out of the head...Anyway, I personally dislike the W1000's alot because of its thin yet thick sort of sound. It has anaemic bass for a pair of closed cans and the highs are a little edgy.

I can't comment on Beyers because I've not heard anyone of them long enough to tell the differences...

Well, Grado do offer a good amount of slam and punch ... in a very smooth way ... something I heard for a 1st time.

Thanks Razer for your comments ...

I will take note of AD2000, I just realized the K1000 is outta my range.