Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Marantz CD7300 cdp

Sorry for the late reply, Naz. In my own context, bass extension and depth are the same and yet different depending on what U're trying to point at. To me, bass depth accurately refers to the regions near the low end of human's hearing range ie, 20Hz whilest extension can either refer to the same detail or simply loudness on a certain band of low freqs.

For eg, speakers A can produce signals at 25Hz with +/- 3db rolloff while speakers B experience a rolloff at 45Hz +/- 3db. Technically, A can project better bass depth than B.

Another eg, speakers A and B are able to produce signals at 25Hz but A has a rolloff of +/- 3db while B has +/- 6db. These readings in decibel refer to extension.

Please note I'm no expert in this area but this is my take on Naz's query.

Edited by Mackie

er.. I don't know leh..

but when I had 770 in my possession I felt it sent the shiver also, just like 880. I call it extension though , is it the same biggrin.gif

Maybe I should take the 770 from my friend again later and compare.

Blues,

As yet, I've not heard any cans that can produce the effects of low bass as mentioned earlier and what U heard on the 770pro is only lower bass at most...not deep bass.

So what then is deep bass? As a case study, my Paradigm PS1000 sub can produce bass down to 35-40Hz......nowhere as deep as my friend's SVS sub which goes below 20Hz. On certain movies like the nuclear explosion scene (hospital staff blown backwards) in Tom Clancy's " Sum of all fears", the bass does not boom but sweep U from the feet up and the glass cabinets in my kitchen rumbled. The bedroom doors also creaked. This is the vibration I'm taking about. yes.gif

hm ok.. I will audition them side by side again. I still believe that 770 rocks in all kind of bass ( in fact it's my reference for bass blink.giflol.gif )

As always, thanks for your in depth reply. It helps to understand what the jargon is all about so we understand each other on the same lines.

My pleasure as always but beware..........it could be the blind leading the blind............. tongue.gif

tried a few tracks..

L'arc~en~ciel - dive to blue(click singles 13 best) , Nanase Aikawa - loving you (ID album)

tetsu's bass guitar goes slightly deeper with dt880. The bass is very good , deep and tight without being too lingering. You can feel more 'thump' with 880(in ya face thump, which I think is body feeling)

Dt770 on the other hand, loses slightly to bass extension. Still the bass is headbanging good, lingering, powerful, slamming. Those who knows what I am talking about.. 770 has bass and air around it.. like pumping the rel subwoofer lol.gif whereas 880 is basically 770 without that bass 'air' around it.

Nanase aikawa. The drum carries more weight and realism to it. Whereas in 880, it's deep and tight but somewhat very quick and like 'snap and go'. So it might depend on which one you prefer more.

Conclusion: a slight nod to 880 in bass depth department. However, I would've preferred the bass to carry more weight, thicker like in 770. dt880 as it is, is a very good performer in bass but it's what I would call lightweight bass performer. If we can combine the depth of 880 and slam of the 770 it would be the perfect bass beast for me. Still.. headphones for rocking out: Dt770.

Dt880 is a good overall performer because it's more open and neutral sound.. but once in a while I will still rock with my friend's 770 wink.gif

Ah well.. I am so delighted to hear my ex-baby again biggrin.gif

this time around I don't think the bass is overblown as when I had the etys.. darn that ety is a brainwasher mad.gif

Edited by Blues

Blues, you need to stop listening to 770s and continue listening to etys. biggrin.gif in my ears, etys has the best bass depth, ie they go down lowest but not well in terms of extension or visceral. 770 is the brainwasher.

Blues, you need to stop listening to 770s and continue listening to etys. biggrin.gif in my ears, etys has the best bass depth, ie they go down lowest but not well in terms of extension or visceral. 770 is the brainwasher.

I don't have etys around...

unless you are willing to lend me your pair for a week or so(while you toy around with your new 880) tongue.gif good idea ? biggrin.gif

Blues, a paradox isn't it? The reality is such if U can hear the kinda bass weight of 770 on the 880, I don't think your ears will be able to pick up the latter's deep bass performance because of masking effect.

wacko.gifwacko.gif I don't understand.. pardon my poor comprehension skill wacko.gifwacko.gif

explain in simpler english pulleassee blush.gif

well 880's bass is quick, tight and deep but it still stands like snap and go. If only beyer enhances it with the thickness and slight ' boom' it would be great. Just like the koss... the bass is deep(not as deep as either cans obviously) but has that nice slamming boom.

But ah which headphone is perfect

Lower/deep bass is not as easily discernible as upper bass, just like "air" on recordings which is actually treble extensions. If 880 has similar strong bass output of 770, your ears will not be able to pick up deep bass which has lower spl (in decibel) than upper bass.

Edited by Mackie

hm.. and strong bass is? I don't think 880's bass is strong though. deep and tight, yes. but definately not 'strong' . By strong I mean it is very impactful, slamming and has BOOM biggrin.gif

hm but then again I don't own any test tracks or anything to hear that particular low bass. I was just listening to rock music (bass guitar)

Do not be perturbed with this issue as much have to be learnt by all, myself included. What matters most is how the music appeals to U on whatever cans U're using. Like U said, can't have it all. Any manufacturer who is willing to produce an audio gear capable of excelling in every department is deemed stupid in the business world but a blessing to consumers. Afterall, it's better to sell a range of products with various compromises to rake in more money than just having one perfect product. This also helps to cater for different crowd from the not-so-rich to super rich.

I think I'm pretty OT from the main topic.

Maybe Jason should take hold of this thread and tell us about his experience with the CD7300.

Edited by Mackie

hm.. and strong bass is? I don't think 880's bass is strong though. deep and tight, yes. but definately not 'strong' . By strong I mean it is very impactful, slamming and has BOOM  biggrin.gif

hm but then again I don't own any test tracks or anything to hear that particular low bass. I was just listening to rock music (bass guitar)

Blues, re-read my post. I did not say 880 has strong bass but only deep bass. I was raising a hypothetical example if 880 has strong bass like the 770.........

Btw, I have a test disc which goes from 10Hz to 20Khz and it's really fun and definitely an eye opener to hearing bass from different spectrum. Of course, one will need a sub to hear these.

Edited by Mackie

yeap.. you're definately right on that happy.gif . Afterall I don't know and am not too interested to know all the terms and which is which.. I am just out to enjoy the music and relax cool.gif

jason.. where are you? don't tell me after getting his 7300 he has locked himself in his room listening to the cdp 24 hrs a day? lol.giflol.gif

Edited by Blues