afbug

The Little Dot Micro+ thread!

Hi afbug

sorry to revive this dormant thread.

What is the difference btw low gain & normal gain LDM+?

I am thinking of pairing with a CK7. Is it a gd idea?

Gain settings will affect the volume control. Basically, it means that with a lower gain set, you have to turn the volume knob more to achieve the same loudness as a normal gain set.

So normally, lower gain sets are recommended for earphones or headphones that are easily driven. So I think it is better to go for a normal gain set unless you plan to use it exclusively for sensitive earphones. Read my 1st post. It will give you a rough idea how much you'll turn the knob on a normal gain set.

Hi afbug

for ck7, a normal gain set will be gd nuff...

Hi afbug

Gain settings will affect the volume control. Basically, it means that with a lower gain set, you have to turn the volume knob more to achieve the same loudness as a normal gain set.

So normally, lower gain sets are recommended for earphones or headphones that are easily driven. So I think it is better to go for a normal gain set unless you plan to use it exclusively for sensitive earphones. Read my 1st post. It will give you a rough idea how much you'll turn the knob on a normal gain set.

and i'll just add that i do not think you should get a low gain LDM+. i did a comparison with a normal gain set and have come to the conclusion that there really is no reason with a low gain set since, with my UM2, it does not reduce, much less eliminate, the hiss, nor does it afford a wider range of volume control. in fact i have a low gain set myself - and you're welcomed to make an offer for it hehe.

p/s: i'm selling the LDM+ not bcos it's crap or it's lousy or what. i'm selling it bcos i've just heard the Hornet.

Read somewhere that low gain didn't really help in IEMs, or was it you who said it? Sigh, getting forgetful... :P

(Side note: Could you PM me the selling price of the LDM+? Thanks)

may i enquire how will i be informed when my LDM+ is in low batt mode? will the blue power indicator light change colour? or will it just die on me abruptly when i'm listening joyfully outside?

thanks.

Once you notice that the blue LED gets dimmer, its low batt. But even so, it can last for at least 4-5 hours before it conk out.......at least for my case. The bad thing is, the batt can last so long that you'll forget when you charge it and approx how much juice it has inside. :P Mine ran for 150hrs continously before it die so thats the approx batt life.

150hrs is about 6 days.

1 day = 24 hrs

Assuming you use 5hrs a day, it can last about a month.

150 hrs seriously feels long. since my collection from haxyer in early august, i haven't charged it at all. crazy amp... :rclxub:

anyway will there be a step up in sq after 1st charging?

no... i seems to hate it sound sig more day by day. and i'm trading for a PA2V2 soon...

no... i seems to hate it sound sig more day by day. and i'm trading for a PA2V2 soon...

Hi theory_87, happen that I was comparing these 2 I got, and just my 2 cents worth here (I only newbie in audio, and my views are just IMHO)...

I got a PA2V2 most recently , and I was listening to different tracks using it and comparing to my earlier acquired LDM+... along with the iCute Beyond...

My findings is that though the PA2V2 plays with more warmth and bass than the LDM+, when I was playing a Wang Chieh song, there was one part when the sound just went muffled with some hiss... the iCute Beyond just drive smoothly thro it and the LDM+ managed that part ok too, albeit not as smoothly as the iCute. I went playbacks thro that quite a few rounds, switching between the Cardas and the Ultimate Link Black Emperor Interconnects I have.

Btw, the PA2V2 really sounds great most of the time, and is more musical and warm unlike the rather clinical sounding LDM+.

As stated very accurately by [J]-ohn in his thread "Ultimate link cables, Good news for little dot owners", I find that the Black Emperor goes rather well with the LDM+ and makes it more musical. The Cardas just did not sound as good with the LDM+. Of course there will be other ICs (DIYs or non-DIYs) which may suit better.

For the PA2V2, I feel that it can drive much louder than the LDM+(important for me as I enjoy some spare power for the oomph! sometimes) and the Cardas works very well with it. Sometimes I do try the Black Emperor with it, and find that though the Black Emperor expands the sound transparency, the results varies with the music types or songs played.

Well both will be for keeps at the moment at least as my portable setups. My iCute Beyond will too as my desktop setup. The Source I am using is line-out from a simple Panasonic SL-CT720. Cans used is Beyer DT990 (250ohms, 2005 ed -- the one with the champagne gold tinted venetian blinds).

I may try the Go-Vibe V5 again somemore based on the good reviews I read... somehow the music thro it did not impress me during my previous trials (except that I really luv the volume pot!).

May you get to enjoy the kind of SQ u looking for.

Cheers,

Tristram

Edited by Tristram

i have crossroad amp too... so comparing, ldm+ is not for me... i tried wif black emperor but it do not sound very much diff frm my diy canare ic...

i have crossroad amp too... so comparing, ldm+ is not for me... i tried wif black emperor but it do not sound very much diff frm my diy canare ic...

Probably more or less the same type of material.

Probably more or less the same type of material.

the emperor does have more solid bass but price wise does nt justify for me... lady misty and casdas sound pretty gd to my ear...

the emperor does have more solid bass but price wise does nt justify for me... lady misty and casdas sound pretty gd to my ear...

I find cardas a little bit too warm on Crossroads/LDM+. I'm a PSilver guy anyway.