Sign in to follow this  
kursed

Weston UM-1, Panasonic HJE 70, Total AirHead - Help to choose...

I am currently using my Ipod 30 gig 5 gig with Sennheiser PX100 and Ipod In-ear headphones...

Now I'm looking forward to an upgrade. Do keep in mind that while I won't be buying an amp right now but will be going for Total Airhead amp in about a few months from now.

Now what I needed help in is deciding whether to upgrade to Panasonic HJE - 70 or Weston UM-1? Keeping in mind that I will be adding an amp in the set-up in the near future....

Thanks alot for your help (in advance)

it would be best if you test it yourself as different pple have different liking of sound......

you can test it at SE(causeway point there) which has a wide range of earphone for you to test out....

Edited by dle4e_2005

' date='10 Aug 2006, 12:56 AM' post='73249']

I'd say u can list out a budget.

Then I can list down a range of headphones that are rouhgly around that budget for u 2 try.

I'd recommend u head down to Jaben to try out the Westones UM1/UM2, Shures E3c/E4c, Ety ER6/ER6i and maybe the CK7s?

Budget would definitly be around and not more than 300 S$. I am into rock (soft, hard, progressive, garage, 80s). And currently prefer the in ear Apple headphones for their rather clean sound. But I'd like something with somewhat more power and more comfortable.

Then I can list down a range of headphones that are rouhgly around that budget for u 2 try.

I'd recommend u head down to Jaben to try out the Westones UM1/UM2, Shures E3c/E4c, Ety ER6/ER6i and maybe the CK7s?

Budget would definitly be around and not more than 300 S$. I am into rock (soft, hard, progressive, garage, 80s). And currently prefer the in ear Apple headphones for their rather clean sound. But I'd like something with somewhat more power and more comfortable.

You can also ask Jaben to make earmolds for your apple earphones. I've seen one being made.

You can also ask Jaben to make earmolds for your apple earphones. I've seen one being made.

But I suppose the ear molds are going to cost me alot more than I intend to spend on my earphones.

you'd be surprised :)

hmmm, head down to jabens, test out a couple of earphones and see if you can get a custom earmold along with it, like a package deal! :)

May I suggest you spend a little more cash on a better earphones. No use getting an amp to power an entry level IEM. No doubt entry level IEM might benefit a little from amping but it will be not a great difference. I would strongly recommend a better earphones over an amp. And of cos, getting a good earphones now will save you the urge to upgrade later

Edited by Newbie123

agree with newbie123... UM1 &HJE70 are entry level IEM, and will serve you fine with a direct connection to your ipod. However if you intend to get an amp, strongly suggest a better IEM like UM2, ER4 or E500...

if u wish to benefit frm amp, Er6, Er4, iM716 and e4 will be a good one... but frm wad i noe of apple in ear, it a bassy and muddy fone... so if u define tt as clean, den i guess sf5eb, sf5pro, um2, e2 and e500 will suit u more... however of the listed IEM, only e2 fall in ur $300 limit...

Does the $300 include the airhead?

Rather pricy amp though, but it is still pretty stuff... :P

Nope, the 300$ are meant for the earphones only. The amp comes recommended to me by a friend whose been using it for a while now, paired with his Senn HD 595. He swears by 'em.

May I suggest you spend a little more cash on a better earphones. No use getting an amp to power an entry level IEM. No doubt entry level IEM might benefit a little from amping but it will be not a great difference. I would strongly recommend a better earphones over an amp. And of cos, getting a good earphones now will save you the urge to upgrade later

agree with newbie123... UM1 &HJE70 are entry level IEM, and will serve you fine with a direct connection to your ipod. However if you intend to get an amp, strongly suggest a better IEM like UM2, ER4 or E500...

Thank you for your suggestions but my problem is that just the thought of spending more than 300$ over a pair of earphone sends shivers down my spine :P.

What if I do not buy the amp? Should I still go for the above mentioned options?

f u wish to benefit frm amp, Er6, Er4, iM716 and e4 will be a good one... but frm wad i noe of apple in ear, it a bassy and muddy fone... so if u define tt as clean, den i guess sf5eb, sf5pro, um2, e2 and e500 will suit u more... however of the listed IEM, only e2 fall in ur $300 limit...

I'm not exactly what you'd define as an audiophile in its strictest meanings. But I'm an avid listener and as of now trying to venture in the audophile territory.

As for your finding In Ear muddy/bassy, the sort of music I listen to favors earphones which are a tad bassy. And I defined Apple Inear's sound cleaner as compared to my Senn PX100 but then again that's a personal preference, your idea of clean might be totally different than mine :)

From the above I see that you didn't mention UM1. May I ask why? Since from what I've heard and read on this forum prior to posting here is that UM1s are a tad better than E2Cs especially in bass..

Edited by kursed

f u wish to benefit frm amp, Er6, Er4, iM716 and e4 will be a good one... but frm wad i noe of apple in ear, it a bassy and muddy fone... so if u define tt as clean, den i guess sf5eb, sf5pro, um2, e2 and e500 will suit u more... however of the listed IEM, only e2 fall in ur $300 limit...

I'm not exactly what you'd define as an audiophile in its strictest meanings. But I'm an avid listener and as of now trying to venture in the audophile territory.

As for your finding In Ear muddy/bassy, the sort of music I listen to favors earphones which are a tad bassy. And I defined Apple Inear's sound cleaner as compared to my Senn PX100 but then again that's a personal preference, your idea of clean might be totally different than mine :)

From the above I see that you didn't mention UM1. May I ask why? Since from what I've heard and read on this forum prior to posting here is that UM1s are a tad better than E2Cs especially in bass..

i different of muddy and non muddy is very easy to hear. juz listen to a Ety and listen to to ur apple in ear or sony Ex71/51 u will noe... i did not list um1 as it bass extension izzn't really that heavy if u r cumin frm a bass heavy earphone... um1 lack of bass extension...

Thank you for your suggestions but my problem is that just the thought of spending more than 300$ over a pair of earphone sends shivers down my spine :P.

What if I do not buy the amp? Should I still go for the above mentioned options?

which IEM u refering to? all the above can be easily driven out of a dap. but amp of coz will enhance the sound... but i think u will be happy wif dem even without an amp...

i different of muddy and non muddy is very easy to hear. juz listen to a Ety and listen to to ur apple in ear or sony Ex71/51 u will noe... i did not list um1 as it bass extension izzn't really that heavy if u r cumin frm a bass heavy earphone... um1 lack of bass extension...

That I'll do for sure. And UM1's bass is not even upto Apple Inear's level?