Sign in to follow this  
kursed

Weston UM-1, Panasonic HJE 70, Total AirHead - Help to choose...

i different of muddy and non muddy is very easy to hear. juz listen to a Ety and listen to to ur apple in ear or sony Ex71/51 u will noe... i did not list um1 as it bass extension izzn't really that heavy if u r cumin frm a bass heavy earphone... um1 lack of bass extension...

That I'll do for sure. And UM1's bass is not even upto Apple Inear's level?

yup... most IEM bass izzn't heavy. it better that you try the IEM urself b4 commiting to it... i came frm Ex71, 51, EP630 in the past and find um1 bass extension is far frm on par... im716 when amp in bass mode is even heavier bass sounding and bass extension is way deeper... even more than sf5pro

i think the Apple In-ear is pretty muddy and heavy bass tones. If he is addicted to the Apple In-ear already, he should probably go for Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB, Shure's E2Cs, E3Cs.

The E2C & E3Cs should fall within his budget. If you're a basshead, then switch your iPod EQ to Electronic which draws out a true bass tone while preserving the high and mids. What's even better is that the bass tone is not muddy at all.

The UM1 bass tones are really very tight IMO. Nice mids and highs but as for basstones, anything below (let's say 80 Hz) will be hardly audible.

Thanks for the reply Zonal, I really didn't have an idea that Inear is considered bass-heavy (mind it I was too was initially only comparing it with PX 100)..

Anyways, most probably I'll audition both E2Cs and E3Cs at SE, any ideas about their prices? Any suggestions from the Etymotic lineup? And yes, thanks alot for the IPod EQ suggestion, it works :D.

Edited by kursed

The UM1 bass tones are really very tight IMO. Nice mids and highs but as for basstones, anything below (let's say 80 Hz) will be hardly audible.

I thought um1s are supposed to be good at bass, weak in treble?

Thanks for the reply Zonal, I really didn't have an idea that Inear is considered bass-heavy (mind it I was too was initially only comparing it with PX 100)..

Anyways, most probably I'll audition both E2Cs and E3Cs at SE, any ideas about their prices? Any suggestions from the Etymotic lineup? And yes, thanks alot for the IPod EQ suggestion, it works :D.

Ety are bass shy.. unless it AT den diff case... AT is Ety sound sig but bass oriented....

I thought um1s are supposed to be good at bass, weak in treble?

ok... um1 is made to be a stage monitor and nt for listen... so there is slight mid bump... the treble is roll off and the bass extension is very limited... try um2 and u'll understand the bass extension lacking on um1. try any Ety and u'll understand treble roll off on um1

ok... um1 is made to be a stage monitor and nt for listen... so there is slight mid bump... the treble is roll off and the bass extension is very limited... try um2 and u'll understand the bass extension lacking on um1. try any Ety and u'll understand treble roll off on um1

And try the UE10s for a whole sound... :P

Anyway, in my opinion, the UM1 has a rather tight bass/mid-bass, and works really well for smaller drums. However, if you do come from very bass-heavy or muddy earphones/headphones, I think you'll find it slightly different and more inclined to the mids (am I repeating?... <_< ) Ask either Stereo or Jaben for pricing, I guess that'll be the best source. :D

Edited by aaron-xp

Bring your source down to Stereo and try all the IEMs Within your budget, decide what to buy based on

what you hear and not what other people think.

Bring your source down to Stereo and try all the IEMs Within your budget, decide what to buy based on

what you hear and not what other people think.

Best advice in ages. Trust your ears the most. :yes:

Try, try, try and try again. If you can't make up your mind, go home. Then get down someday and try again. Repeat the process till you really know what you're looking for. Trust your ears and not you're head.

LOL - I just might as well do that. Thanks alot for your advices people, I'll write in this thread again after I've bought one.

Edited by kursed

I've just emailed SE asking for which earphones will make it in my budget of S$300 and following is the list that I received:

Westone UM1

Panasonic HJE-70

Shure E2G

Etymotic Research ER-6i

Audio Technica ATH-CK7

Sennheiser CX-300

Shure E3G

No E2C, No E3C???