Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

DT880 cord change

so that crossover thing is that blue/white cable? why don't you just strip one of the quad cables you got and use 2 of the conductors, twisted?

Those sort of photos make me cringe... brave soul you are!

no, no!

the blue and white cables are the left/ground and right/ground respectively.

that pcb junction in the left, that is the place where the 'crossover' (copper shield and white wire) go to the right enclosure.

i've managed to damage the black wire containing the copper spiral shield and the white wire. so i need a new one.

btw anyone know where to get black vinyl dye from?

Adhoc,

The black wires that go under the headband would be for the right trasducer right? Why don't you do this - since you've changed the whole cable just strip more for running it to the right transducer - it should be better than having a solder joint on a "PCB" (that circular thing).

I mean just bypass it altogether - sure you'll end up with the right channel having about 8 inches more of cable but that shouldnt cause any inbalance. Also the grounding should be only at one end - at the headphone jack usually.

Thanks for the picture.

I think he doesn't like the blue wire.

Just took a closer look at the DT-880. The right cup actually has a "etching/mold print" for the cable to go in. So you could actually make a Y cord instead of a one-sided one while you have your DT-880 in pieces. Also, I'll do away with the spring loaded strain relief and just use a cable tie to prevent the cable from being yanked out (the strain relief is good for protecting solder joints while flexing the cable but quite useless if the cable gets accidently yanked.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

thanks rameish, you're a gem. i cant believe that i didnt just think of extending the right channel!

however i'm a bit worried about shielding. will having my cables unshielding but in a twisted pair mode affect it somewhat?

i will either

a. dye them black (so as to make them less conspicuous)

or

b. use some heat shrink tubing on them

gosh, one of my main computer's hard disks failed.

had 2 80gb hdds in a raid 0 array. one failed... so..

never fear though! i've gotten my camera and photos should be up by this weekend! party.gif

thanks jason..

and i really think i owe everyone an apology over the INCREDIBLY SLOW progress of this thread. it's just that the past few weeks have really been incredibly busy ones for me with school restarting and all.

i guess my original intention was to do the entire project and then start this thread, but since ablaze made the thread-starting decision for me, i have to go along.

once again, sorry all!

not a problem.. school work is more important than anything else. wink.gif

adhoc, have you change your PSU. Some claim that most hdisk spoilt because of lower power rating PSU...

A bit OT.. tongue.gif

actually, my psu is a 450W and branded too somemore.. and most of my components (eg soundcard, lan) are integrated so i actually need less power.

just my suay luck i guess.

quite strange too that on a premonition i backed up my data last night, so i'm quite ok abt the hdd failure, except that i have to make a trip down to sls now.. sigh.

hey all, please go to this thread now for your daily fix of DIY cord changes!

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=746

enjoy!