Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Closed Headphones

having heard the V6.. I'd say the dt250 will definitely be a keeper! tongue.gif

Hi everyone.. this is my virgin post... tongue.gif

I've got a pair of DT-48's from Beyer... isolation at this level is close to lab-worthy though I haven't really tried many others, except for the CD3000's, DT-990, HD580,HD590, K141's-240's. would love to have the ER-4P for comparison...

The DT-48's are legendary in their own right, being standard equipment at Abbey Road studios and favourites for the Beatles themselves..

Warning : 1. Fatigue sets in after 30 minutes. 2. the stainless steel brace (vice?) clamps on your skull with a death-grip, either that I have a big head.. which I don't think so.. size 7.25 for beret? if anyone remembers.

David

Edited by Primesource

Hi Primesource,

Welcome to SGH. Appreciate your input. What sort of equipment do you use it with and how does the DT-48 sound compare with the CD3K & HD580?

Do you have any links referring to this headphone? Specs, details or images. As my google search turned up not much useful info. Is it this one? user posted image

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/com/product/sh...heets/d211.php3

This are the exact one... I'm using it with 1. Yamaha O2R digital console board.. hopefully I can get my grubby hands on a really good solid state amp with DC direct power and MIT Caps in them. anyone?

user posted image

Warning : 3.They are quite hard to drive. 4. They are unforgivingly accurate. Crap stuff sounds like crap stuff under a microscope. so do not try this without really good works. 5. the seals need to be changed every 3 years of daily heavy use under hot sun and perspiration... they wear down... though not too quickly..

As an ENG tool, this baby is your best friend... CD 3K.. nice... plush.. delivers whatever you want... it's a turbo 911... HD580... it's like a GTR... accurate... raw power... DT-48... is like formula Kart.... no creature comforts... point wherever you want to go and you're there... be it sand/grass/gravel or bitumen.

hope I'm clear enough... if you guys don't like cars.. paiseh ah..

ps. Thanks N@Z for the kind reception.

Edited by Primesource

Primesource, can I confirm U're using the 200ohm version of DT48? How much did it cost ya?

Edited by Mackie

I'm using the 200ohm version.. $500...

yes, HD580 is accurate...

remember... there is sharp... and there is razor sharp...

Edited by Primesource

Thanks for the link Primesource. The b*tchiest to drive headphone I've owned so far is the 150ohm AKG K501, infact the 300ohm HD600 seems easier to drive.

BTW, where exactly are the seals you referred to that needed replacement every 3 years? Looking at them up close with the larger image the build doesn't look like a typical chunky Beyer. Even compared with the DT-100/150 Pro monitoring headphones. The DT-48's look very utilitarian especially the 'thingy' that holds the drivers & headband extension. That's not to say I don't like the look, just looks a little strange for a modern dynamic headphone design.

The earpads look like pleather, is the headband material covering vinyl?

Naz, I can attest to the fact tha DT48 is chunky and heavy and except for the rather dubious headband material, the rest is very typical of German engineering.

I reckon Beyer wanna retain the looks of their first dynamic headphone which were employed during WW2. Apparently these were used extensively by sonar men and owing to the 48s wider freq response, the Germans were able to hear sounds which the allies couldn't.

Edited by Mackie

Hmmm... I have requested for a DT48 to be shipped over for another round of review....properly this time. My first encounter was not encouraging but then again, different times; different gears

Took that off the other thread, felt more comfortable discussing about it here. Where did you have the DT-48 shipped from Mackie? Just wondering whether your source has access to the DT-150 as well.

My relative who helped in the DT880 power buy. Let me check if he has DT150. Btw, he doesn't carry much stocks and most if not all, are gotten by request. Will pm U if available.

Thanks!

Not sure I am in the same frequency.

N@Z, are you considering HD280pro?

Naz was showing interest in Beyer DT150. Btw, it has the most isolation in the Beyer range......20dbA as opposed to DT250/770's 16dbA. DT831 is specfied at 12dbA.