Sign in to follow this  
cranberries

Sennheiser HD600 the best?

Seeking opinions from the gurus here... tongue.gif

My headphone amp is a Creek OBH-11

Music: 60% rock/pop, 35% jazz, 5% classical.

Looking for something comfortable and I can use for hours without fatigue.

Eyeing the Senn HD600 but still seeking opinions ... Any suggestions?

hi cranberries,

u put a sensitive thread title biggrin.gif . I not a guru. Only thing I can say maybe it depends also on the source u use.

U won't get much with a pcdp->creek amp->senn600. My -2cts.

Basing on your music preference, I'll recommend DT770 but if U're a matured listener; DT880.

If you are intending to get the HD600, you will benefit more with a change of cable. However, if you do not wih to change the cables, you may want to get the DT880 as recommended by Mackie.

The best bet is to wait for the next headphone meet and try out the cans and the amp. There is certainly more than enough DT880 to go around. headphone.gif

Charismatic: that's the whole idea laugh.gif ... to "invite" the gurus in to comment. i'm using a dedicate cdp, not the best, but better than a pcdp. i see u have the creek obh-11 and senn hd600, care to comment on the sound and the type of music you listen to?

Northen Oak: i also dun know... maybe anyone using this combo can tell me?

Mackie: what's a matured listener?

lengcm: can tell me when/where is the nx meet?

I do not know when is the next meet but I guess we are still hammering out the details. If you stay in the West side, you maybe able to bring your amp down to my place and have a listen to both the DT880 and the HD600. headphone.gif

Edited by lengcm

Mackie: what's a matured listener?

As in age..... need for invigoration tends to be reduced with age for some....like me! tongue.gif

I tend to favour finer and subtler aspects of the music for now.

ohmy.gifw00t.gifyucky.gif

Oh no!! i came across www.head-fi.org and found that Sennheiser is going to discontinue it's flagship HD600, and a new "HD700" will come out!!!! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

here is the link to : http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=40646

Hey cranberries, OBH-11 has no problem driving Senn HD600.

BTW, read this review here, Audio Technica ATH-A900 is not bad according to review in Head-Fi. http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=22964

kicking.gif

hey lengcm, which do you like better dt880 or stock hd600. i have both of them with me right now, and find the hd600 is more engaging, more vocal presence (ie forward), more mid-bass too?

creek should power hd600 fine.

Look into dt880 also wink.gif

see here http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....20&pagenumber=4

Dear headfellows,

Today I had a small chat with the Sennheiser representative. Apparently there have been some delays and the HD650 will be launched somewhere around December. However, he's trying to get me a demo-copy that I hope to receive somewhere around the second half of august. I'll give you my impressions as soon as I have the phone.

Cheers,

Jan

yea.. maybe you should wait and give hd650 a try..

and I believe hd600's price will drop a little when hd650 comes out.

too bad sennheiser never changes their stock cable rolleyes.gif

Edited by Blues

hey lengcm, which do you like better dt880 or stock hd600. i have both of them with me right now, and find the hd600 is more engaging, more vocal presence (ie forward), more mid-bass too?

Taking everything into account, I would prefer the DT880 to the HD600 with stock cable because the treble of the HD600 sounded pretty veiled. However the vocals still sounded pretty good for the HD600 with stock cable. IMHO, the HD600 would benfit much more with a change in the cable. party.gif

Hmm I have been reading this for some time now:

For your type of music 60% pop/rock I would say go for a Grado SR-225 or SR-325, Beyer DT-931 and Beyer DT-880 (in order of preference)

The main limiting factor here is the Creek amp and if you don't intend to change that then I would say: Grado SR-225 or SR-325 and Beyer DT-931 (this last one is a maybe as I have not heard the 931 with a Creek).

Now the only this missing here is what type of CDP you have - by that I mean is it on the bright side of things like Sony or the warm side of things like Marantz.

Lastly the interconnects and power cords (if any).

Basically, I need nore infomation from you Cran.