fu01

CD source difference?

Hi dear forumers,

I am getting a CD player to be used solely for my headphone amp-headphone, thus only using the line-out of the cd player.

May I know does it make a lot of difference in getting a budget marantz(say 4000 or 5001) or a mid-range one(around $600 - $900)?

I know I should try to post this question in headphone forum(e.g. sgheadphone/headphonehaven/head-fi) but most of the forumers there are using portable/mp3 sources.

Hope to have some assistance here.

You can try them out if I'm not wrong. The CD5001 I have was more or less bought because of its price and reviews. I didn't try it out, but it turned out to be a good buy at the price range.

What headphones amplifier will you be using, and what headphones? Given that you have (a decent?) amplifier, a decent headphone out (ie. CD5001) would not really be needed.

I don't really think there is an actual answer to this question. It is the same as asking whether a $300 headphone or a $600 would be a better buy. It'd be good, though, if you could state which "mid-range" sources you are looking at.

FYI this is a headphone forum LOL

More information is needed to give you a better answer. What headphone amp are you using or intending to get, likewise for your headphone. If you amp or headphone isnt very resolving then maybe you can get away with a poorer quality source.

Think in terms of a system. The system is only as good as it's weakest link.

Like Rameish said, it will depend on your headphones and amp. If the rest of your system is up to scratch, a better source can make a substantial difference.

I, for one, heard a marked improvement when I upgraded from a Marantz CD63 to the Rega Jupiter . Of course, there would be a real problem if I didn't, given the price disparity.

Hmm, maybe let me repharse myself. Since this is the first time I am buying a CDP myself, I am wondering if between a budget player and mid-range player, the difference is in the lens used, or function or does the line out 'upgraded' as well. Sad to say I am not comfortable in bringing my cans/amp/interconnect around to auditions...

Just to add further,

Cans: AKG K501, Audio Technica ATH-A950LTD

Amp: Heed canamp

Interconnect: QED 2

Any recommended CDP below $1000?

I am asking for recommended CDP just for some guidelines as to facilitate my auditions.

-Rameish

Ok I know this is a headphone forum, but I am setting up my rig for headphone use so I thought may get some advice from fellow headphone users here..

Do you mind buying used CDP?

In echoloft there's a Rega Planet 2000 selling for less than $1000.

Just FYI and I have nothing related to the seller.

You may even consider a DAC running off your PC's USB or even a squeezebox3 to you head amp.

I think the main areas are both digital & analog out stage.

I'm no expert in these things but just auditioned a DAC with single ended discrete output design instead of run of the mill op amp and noticed the high level of refinement in the treble & mid range.

just to share with u my limited experience in cdp, i have moved from a marantz 5400 to a cambridge azur 640c v1 to finally to a ts lim modded marantz 63se (doesn't mean i will stop here, just that i limit my listening to new cdps to protect my wallet).

my 2 cents, to my years (ymmv), i can hear a big enough difference moving from one cdp to another.

u can either buy the cheapest "decent" cdp or go max of your budget. the best is try both and see whether you can tell the difference and if the difference is worth the money. if you buy the "decent" one now, u may be tempted to upgrade later (probably like many of us). but if you go straight to the most expensive one you can afford, you may realise later it may not be worth the difference, ymmv.

:grin:

Stick to what you're comfortable with and build your system. If you're not comfortable in bringing in your headphone amp and cans for audition then you'll have to do it by trial and error and it's an expensive way to do things.

Cayin/Spark make some nice CDP from $800 approx upwards. Marantz still has the CD-17 MKIII I think.