Sign in to follow this  
mouz

Mini3 Front/Back Panel group buy

Thanks! I just realised one thing, if acrylic is used, there'll be no colour on the words unless gravoply is used. If gravoply is used, we'll need to countersunk the holes ourselves using a drill. LPPL...

Anyway, I read his thread and he has a way of colour etching aluminium. I just asked Nicholas if he has any way of putting colours into words on acrylic using the same method, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by mouz

nice design... simple, clean but looks profesional build..... n the most important.... its the trade mark of the effort made by Sgheadphones community.... :D

Thanks for the comments so far :)

A little update, Nicholas feedback that laser etch actually burns plastic thus turning whatever it burns white (by right), so we are back on track. Took a walk at bras basah Art friend just now, they don't sell matt black acrylic so we're stuck for now til I can find other sources. If anyone out there knows where to find a black, 2mm, A4 sized, matt surfaced acrylic. Do let me know, it will help alot :sweat:

Thanks loop, I'll give them a call but I doubt they sell in small amount, I only need a A4 sized acrylic. But gonna give it a try anyway.

mouz, I had tried working on a Multicomp ABS Black box from farnell before, and really like this material. It opaque, but had this sort of piano finish, and drilling is a breeze. You might like to look into this material?

I will search around and see if I can help :))

Drilling no prob oredi, we are using acrylic. So countersunk will be done by laser. BTW, i did consider what u have suggested, I saw an acrylic sheet at Art friend yesterday (4 plus only :)) but seeing that the black shiny surface is easily tainted by fingerprints made me think twice....

Drilling no prob oredi, we are using acrylic. So countersunk will be done by laser. BTW, i did consider what u have suggested, I saw an acrylic sheet at Art friend yesterday (4 plus only :)) but seeing that the black shiny surface is easily tainted by fingerprints made me think twice....

Art Friend has this type of acrylic? :drool: Somehow I like shiny black plastics very much... hmm..

Yah, and it was chucked in a corner with the less popular colours, like someone was trying to hide it... :whistle:

I've made a sample with clear 2mm acrylic, will post some pics if I can!

mouz, free to meet me at UE Square or Clarke Quay MRT tmr to take the sample? :))

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

some burnt marks due to the countersink. dirts as well make the picture look ugly >.<!

Will have to play with my machine's settings alittle if anyways to remove or lessen the burnt marks.

Edited by nicholaslee

Nice!!! :drool: I believed the words will be "lighted up" slightly by the power LED due to their depression... Looking forward to the finished product from mouz..

:thumbup:

nice. now its a matter of scratch protection. :)) I was thinking, perhaps we can coat it with some transparent layer. if i remember correctly, modelling enthusiast will apply a layer of clear coat over the model when their paint job is done. This layer serves to protect the paint. Now i wonder if a thick layer would help prevent scratches on the arcylic. Any ideas?

Corrosion shouldn't be a problem as these coating are applied on the plastic model.

Edited by Cloud

nice. now its a matter of scratch protection. :)) I was thinking, perhaps we can coat it with some transparent layer. if i remember correctly, modelling enthusiast will apply a layer of clear coat over the model when their paint job is done. This layer serves to protect the paint. Now i wonder if a thick layer would help prevent scratches on the arcylic. Any ideas?

Corrosion shouldn't be a problem as these coating are applied on the plastic model.

oh ya! I had some coated acrylic when I bought from the rowell court shop sometime ago. Maybe I'll try laser etching on them tonight :party:

Edited by nicholaslee

Nice job Nicholas!! Now we are really on to something good! Thanks for the tip on coated acrylic. Gonna head on down to rowell to check, hope they open on Saturdays though... BTW, I won't be able to meet you up today to collect the samples, but I'll be bringing down my kit to test the sample you made once I get the materials for laser etching. Think I'll have to settle for shiny black if I can't find matt black....

For the overseas guys who PMed me, sorry that you're not able to join this group buy. Tell you what, I'll upload the file (without the sgheadphones logo) used for laser etching once I'm sure that it works. Just download it and look for local shops who provides the same type of service as Nicholaslee. It should be cheaper since no shipping is required.

Edited by mouz