Morgan Wu

DIY guide for LOD

Yup, the main reason is because its much easier to get. I find it illogical to chase after something that is already out of production, and i couldnt bring myself to pay a few bucks for a capacitor.

Furthermore, there are multiple sources on the internet that suggests that the ELNA Silmic II is as good, if not better than the black gates. So why not give it a try, right?

one examples: http://tech.juaneda.com/en/articles/electr...capacitors.html

There are a couple more reviews, but i couldnt find it now.

Blackgates has got this "legendary" status, but think about it, how can it be possible that not 1 modern (and existing) company can produce caps that match the blackgates? Caps are something that improves with tech, although the materials used obviously plays a big part.

But truth to be said, i have never heard a blackgate before. If anyone of ya got a SXC blackgate LOD, lets have a comparison and write a review about it. It should be interesting.

direcow, what material are u using to make ur dock? i am making a wooden box now too! but has got trouble getting the right angles, u got e machinery? or all hand made?

hahaha nonono not that kind of dock... the usual small one with caps inside for the iMod. Not that pro... yet? heh

I'm looking at premade boxes, but have not decided on any.

hmm, i wouldn't want to start a flame war, but based on my own experiences, preferences, and opinions, i find black gates are the best for soundstage, a little on the muddy side though. Elna silmic caps are more on the analytical side, while i personal favourite is elna cerafine caps. And just as morgan said, i've only ever made 1 LOD with BG caps to try out, the caps cost more than the dock/cables/jack put together... i can't justify buying BGs for that price. strictly IMO.

dennis, i rmb ur blackgates LOD are also SXC right? Wanna pass them to someone with experience to review? Seriously, i have not seen a ELNA Vs BG LOD review anywhere. If we do it, it could be the first!

hmm, morgan, do you have any LODs with Elna and SXC? cos i only have a elna cerafine cap LOD with vampire cable, the SXC i have is with BG, i sort of lost interest for LODs after the vamp cable haha.

Okay, since dennis is on, the offer is open to all sgheadphone members. Who has got the ability and experience and equipment to test and compare the Blackgates LOD and ELNA Silmic II LOD?

Review results would be posted... Er, somewhere appropriate in this forum. Any reviewers interested to do everyone out here the favour?

No idea, i am more inclined to pass to someone for a period of time and let him/her do the review peacefully. Dunno how dennis wants to do it though.