Morgan Wu

DIY guide for LOD

Ok, call it the "after exam nothing to do syndrome", this is the second LOD i did using the last bit of SXC cables from Habba.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This one is just slightly different from the previous one i posted.

Oh, and something trivial, i did this too:

IPB Image

Its a dock connector with a Neutrik jack in it.

Probably my last LOD for the year,

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just for everyone's info, Neutrik does sell the gold plug with the nickel cover together. No need to buy 2 and combine them into one. Available at Farnell.

IPB Image

Can people who has DIYed their LODs to also post their pictures here?

Sorry, my bad, wasnt thinking just now. You should have soldered pin 11 and pin 15 together. I have no idea why it doesnt work. Do not have a iphone 1st gen to test. My observation is that sometimes the although the line out of the pins didnt change, apple might have changed some circuits in the motherboard. For example, if you use pin 1 as ground, it will work perfectly fine for ipod 5G and after, for ipod color, there would be static, and the backgound would not be perfectly black. No idea why is that so too.

Sorry, my bad, wasnt thinking just now. You should have soldered pin 11 and pin 15 together. I have no idea why it doesnt work. Do not have a iphone 1st gen to test. My observation is that sometimes the although the line out of the pins didnt change, apple might have changed some circuits in the motherboard. For example, if you use pin 1 as ground, it will work perfectly fine for ipod 5G and after, for ipod color, there would be static, and the backgound would not be perfectly black. No idea why is that so too.

i'm using pin 2,3,4 and 11 & 15 ..

hmm.. could it be because i didn;t use pin 1? but it doesn;t seem likely since i have tried it on 1st gen iphone and it works perfectly normal??? :rclxub::rclxub: and sometimes it doesn;t on other iphones? could firmware have do with this i wonder..

I do not know the exact answer, but i feel it shouldnt matter. Pin 1 is simply ground, and so is pin 15. There are many ground pins in the connector, and i feel they should all achieve the same thing.

Ultimate link's signature series uses only pin 1, 2, 3, 4 and 11. It doesnt even use pin 15. And it states its itouch and iphone compatible. I checked the schematics, and it says pin 15 is also ground. I tried using only pin 11 on a LOD and connect it to a iphone, no reaction. Hence my guess is Ultimate link used pin 1 as the ground instead of pin 15. Why i do not know. But if pin 15 can be substituted by pin 1, that means any ground pin can be used.

I say the above is because there seems to be many combination around, and sometimes they work, sometimes they do not work. I will stick to pin 2, 3, 4 ,11 and 15 since they seem to work in most cases. I am not sure whether using pin 1 and 2 as ground together will improve the sound.

But i cannot touch pin 1 because my reviewer will be using a ipod color. And pin 1 produces static on ipod color. Why it produces static, again i do not know. Haiz, and i asked this question on this forum many times already. No one seem to be responding. Surely there is someone out there who knows?

yup, its confirmed, its firmware issue..the lad upgraded his firmware and its working fine now.. :D

I do not know the exact answer, but i feel it shouldnt matter. Pin 1 is simply ground, and so is pin 15. There are many ground pins in the connector, and i feel they should all achieve the same thing.

Ultimate link's signature series uses only pin 1, 2, 3, 4 and 11. It doesnt even use pin 15. And it states its itouch and iphone compatible. I checked the schematics, and it says pin 15 is also ground. I tried using only pin 11 on a LOD and connect it to a iphone, no reaction. Hence my guess is Ultimate link used pin 1 as the ground instead of pin 15. Why i do not know. But if pin 15 can be substituted by pin 1, that means any ground pin can be used.

I say the above is because there seems to be many combination around, and sometimes they work, sometimes they do not work. I will stick to pin 2, 3, 4 ,11 and 15 since they seem to work in most cases. I am not sure whether using pin 1 and 2 as ground together will improve the sound.

But i cannot touch pin 1 because my reviewer will be using a ipod color. And pin 1 produces static on ipod color. Why it produces static, again i do not know. Haiz, and i asked this question on this forum many times already. No one seem to be responding. Surely there is someone out there who knows?

i never used pin1 as ground before so i'm not sure why it produces static sound? it should not unless you tested it in an enviroment where there were many mobilephone users and your amp is not shielded??

Nope, its tested in a room with no mobile phones. Somemore it's tested using a pico. Picos dun really have shielding problem (i got a D3, its the worst, so i know, lol).

There is no static if i use my ipod classic. That guy is using a ipod color. Thats the only difference.

Duck in the box, i am compiling one. But in my excitement i actually forgot to take photos of the braiding process and dock connector soldering process. Now overseas, so cant work on it too. Got to rush it when i am back in Singapore in Jan if not i will ganna from heady again, lol.

In the mean time you can search in Jaben forums and headfi, quite a lot of guides, but none comprehensive enough for my liking. But the materials there are enough for you to try to make one yourself.

Duck in the box, i am compiling one. But in my excitement i actually forgot to take photos of the braiding process and dock connector soldering process. Now overseas, so cant work on it too. Got to rush it when i am back in Singapore in Jan if not i will ganna from heady again, lol.

In the mean time you can search in Jaben forums and headfi, quite a lot of guides, but none comprehensive enough for my liking. But the materials there are enough for you to try to make one yourself.

What do you mean? Hah? :bash: I so bad meh? :innocent:

Just joking... :P