Morgan Wu

DIY guide for LOD

Nice.. looking forward to the comparison review.. :thumbup::thumbup:

here are the my most recent lod i made for a customer :thumbup:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Its vampire wire with solid silver core wire terminated with pailicc jack

I tried making a iMod LOD today after receiving the caps i brought. Well, it should be interesting to some people, just thought i share.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

VERY tight space inside. i consider myself super lucky that i even made it. The sound is, erm, alright i guess. Not that much different from a new LOD i recently developed, but havent post pictures of it yet.

i think the caps need to be burned in for a period of time before u hear any significant change in the sound signature. by the way, thats a tight squeeze but its nicely done =D

wats the full specs of your caps if i may ask?

Edited by kookie

You used the vampires for left and right and the silver for ground?

The full specs should be: Elna Silmic II 10u/35v/

I got a nagging suspicion that this is not a good capacitance. But nevertheless, sound came out. Lol.

You used the vampires for left and right and the silver for ground?

yup.. well to each customer its own customisation preference....

where can i find caps like this in Singapore? :D

and are these only meant for Imods..? how about non imods? would a normal ipod classic have any difference to it??

i wonder if Koba sells caps as well..

Edited by kookie

dude, you can get it from Alvin.

It works on non imods too. And thats where i am unsure what the impact on sound is. Havent really been listening to it, and no one has taken up the offer to do a review.

Koba got caps, but not these "expensive" and high end caps.

It works on non imods too. And thats where i am unsure what the impact on sound is. Havent really been listening to it, and no one has taken up the offer to do a review.

Alvin from where? which store har? :D and how much do they actually cost? :D

on the contrary, Koba does sell silmic and cerafine caps, which i think is one of the higher end, botique caps that i know of now. However, if u are refering to 10 uf 35v silmic 2 caps, i'm not sure. But if according the last time i've been there, they do stock 10uf 35v silmic caps.

just wondering, can BG 47uf 16v be used in lods for imod? got lobang to get it at about SIN30 each.. dunno is it considered cheap or not?? =X

err, in general, there are several different type of caps, made of different materials, and different brands. Consider polypropene caps, you will be able to find those that cost up to 300 or more, thats because they use exotic materials like silver and gold to make them. However, black gates are mostly electrolytic caps, and if i'm not wrong they are the most expensive of the lot. Usually, they go for a few dollars for the values that we use in the LODs, Unless you are talking about larger values that can never fit into LODs. Cerafine and silmic for example cost less than 1 buck each for the values that we use for LODs.

Thanks for the guide Morgan ! :))

Some iPod LODs I made with Wireworld Oasis 5 and Canare L-2E5

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image