Sign in to follow this  
soundsync

Sennheiser HD800

Both about the same amount of time. If I find that certain track is is flat or boring with HD800, I'll just switch to PS1000. PS1000 is more forgiving. It add flavor and dynamic to lousy or old recording.

I guess there are no one perfect phone for everything...just like speakers.

The combo running HD800 at the launch sounds completely off from what I've been reading, so still no clue how it actually is capable of.

Am I right to assume that HD800 is like a studio monitor that's good at revealing everything that's on the recording chain like ATCs and PS1000 is something euphoric like the lower end Harbeths?

I've yet to hear any audio component that's perfect. Matching is still the most critical factor in audio equipment so there's a need to understanding the characteristic of your components in order to get the right match. Any mismatch will bring down the whole system so an audition is a must. Follow by tweaking them to your preference. There's a lot of hard work involve in getting it right. Doesn't meant the most expensive one will works. If it does, I'll be most happy to pay and save all the trouble. I've heard too many super high-end hifi system in this hobby that sound really bad.

If compare within Harbeth speakers, PS1000 reminds me of Harbeth M40.1, HD800 like M30 and ED8 like C7ES-3.

Edited by ical

I guess there are no one perfect phone for everything...just like speakers.

The combo running HD800 at the launch sounds completely off from what I've been reading, so still no clue how it actually is capable of.

Am I right to assume that HD800 is like a studio monitor that's good at revealing everything that's on the recording chain like ATCs and PS1000 is something euphoric like the lower end Harbeths?

It is true that the HD800 is revealing, but that does not make it "not fun". I enjoyed even rock and pop on it with my rig, though I must admit, when you have bad recording, you can really hear the bad recording. I have noticed certain distortions in recordings of certain songs in the past when I was using the RS1i, but the HD800 makes the flaws really pronounced.

The PS1000 was one of the cans that I was considering earlier, and after auditioning it on my rig (thanks to iCal), I found the bass to be too overwhelming for me. But with the HD800, I find the bass to be just the right amount, deep and tight.

Compared to the RS1i, which I have sold off, the soundstage of the HD800 is of course bigger in all directions. I can hear more details probably due to the bigger soundstage that accentuate the airiness and the separations of instruments.

I find the transparency and clarity to be as good as the RS1i, but it does not have that "shoutiness" in the upper mids and highs in some songs that can be hurtful to the ears, thus it is less fagiuing than the RS1i. I think this is the main characteristic in HD800 that won me over.

In terms of lushness or fullness of sound, the HD800 trumps the RS1i hands down, but it may lose out a tiny bit to the PS1000, if my memory serves me right.

A lot has been said about the right pairing of the HD800 and amp; and I believe this to be true, not only with this can but all others as well. But being one with 300 ohms impedance makes its compatibility with amps much more limited.

I have about 120 hours on my HD800, and I am certainly enjoying it; and at this price, probably I will not be doing any upgrading on my rig anytime soon. :cry:

have about 120 hours on my HD800, and I am certainly enjoying it; and at this price, probably I will not be doing any upgrading on my rig anytime soon. :cry:

This sound familiar. Seem to hear it from that "someone" not long ago. :think::grin:

I agreed with that "someone", PS1000 bass does sound overwhelming. Ideal for bass head or those rig that lack bass.

Ok lah, I'll share with all of you a share a little secret I have. For those having problem with it's bass, you can easily tame this beast by using a two Acoustic Revive QR-8 each on back of the plastic L/R and another two each on the cup near to the exist of it's cable. Bass is tighter and mid is fuller as well. Enjoying it now. :party:

Edited by ical

This sound familiar. Seem to hear it from that "someone" not long ago. :think::grin:

I agreed with that "someone", PS1000 bass does sound overwhelming. Ideal for bass head or those rig that lack bass.

Ok lah, I'll share with all of you a share a little secret I have. For those having problem with it's bass, you can easily tame this beast by using a two Acoustic Revive QR-8 each on back of the plastic L/R and another two each on the cup near to the exist of it's cable. Bass is tighter and mid is fuller as well. Enjoying it now. :party:

I'd really like to thank Cal for his generosity in letting us hear the recently released Flagship phones at his place. But I still want to... :bash:

now a HD800 is on the way and my Wallet will not recover until next year. Lol! =p

Sigh...that "someone" probably got tempted by all the high end cans that his friend was flaunting around. :bash:

I've yet to hear any audio component that's perfect. Matching is still the most critical factor in audio equipment so there's a need to understanding the characteristic of your components in order to get the right match. Any mismatch will bring down the whole system so an audition is a must. Follow by tweaking them to your preference. There's a lot of hard work involve in getting it right. Doesn't meant the most expensive one will works. If it does, I'll be most happy to pay and save all the trouble. I've heard too many super high-end hifi system in this hobby that sound really bad.

If compare within Harbeth speakers, PS1000 reminds me of Harbeth M40.1, HD800 like M30 and ED8 like C7ES-3.

Thanks for your feedback.

Glad to hear HD800 sounds like M30 and not one of those sterile & etched monitors. I've heard the M30 and owns the C7ES3, the M30 will need a lot more attention to sound good. I have pretty good & lush digital source which will be a good start but will need to get a really good amp.

I imagine a good tube amp will be easier on the ear with the HD800.

HD800 does sound a little warm to me in my rig.

For tube amp, you can look at Woo Audio WA22, EAR HP4, Zana Deux SE or the reasonable priced DNA Sonett.

Edited by ical

HD800 does sound a little warm to me in my rig.

For tube amp, you can look at Woo Audio WA22, EAR HP4, Zana Deux SE or the reasonable priced DNA Sonett.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've also been following postings on Headfi awhile BACK and is eyeing the WA22 as it looks good and have option for both SE and balanced. I've seen the ZD in a meet, it looks more like a science project, I think my wife will flip if I set it up permanently in our bedroom.

Ironically, I sold my tube amp awhile back to replace with a Naim headamp as I have children around that may grab the hot tube and it is compact and unobtrusive. Unfortunately, it did not match my current DT880 at all.

Edited by sonq

Jig_sg right? That damn fellow!! :bash::bash: Now flaunting with his newly arrived HF-2. :grin:

:blink::blink::blink:

Dun think its me leh. HF2 hardly "Hi-End" lor... dun deflect lah...

You just want people to say "ITS YOU CAL! ITS YOU!!! YOU KING LIAO" siboh?

But got a feeling deep in my gut that that "song" feeling of having all the flagship won't last....

... look to the horizon.. discover the new urge... seek the new thrill! Explore the new high!

What are you waiting for??

Got prize??!! I know you want to hold my hand and join me in this journey? :grin::grin:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've also been following postings on Headfi awhile BACK and is eyeing the WA22 as it looks good and have option for both SE and balanced. I've seen the ZD in a meet, it looks more like a science project, I think my wife will flip if I set it up permanently in our bedroom.

DNA Sonett look very interesting to me. Look simple and cool. It make me want to go back to tube again.

Edited by ical