ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

ok let me rephrase lol. just woke up from nap.

wanted to ask if a DAC is important in a normal headphone rig.

a DAC rig will be.

Digital Transport (i.e. Computer, Wadia, CD Transport) -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphone

and most of the guys here are using.

CDP -> Amp -> Headphone

these are the 2 options?

dac r meant for wide versatible of usage provided if u dont have the space/storage to put cds and so forth

cdp/turntable :sweat: r still the best source for headphone rigs and they r usually have built in dac and easily surpassed dac bout 500 to 1k.....

if u wan to get a dac , then u will need to spend around 2k to 4k for it.....

if u wan to get a dac,

dac r meant for wide versatible of usage provided if u dont have the space/storage to put cds and so forth

cdp/turntable :sweat: r still the best source for headphone rigs and they r usually have built in dac and easily surpassed dac bout 500 to 1k.....

if u wan to get a dac , then u will need to spend around 2k to 4k for it.....

if u wan to get a dac,

yeap, I connect my PC , CD and ipod dock(coming soon) to my DAC

Used to own a Electrocompaniet ECD-1 which worked really nicely for me, not to mention quite chio too.

But sold that cos' I wanted to simplify my setup though I still have a Logitech transporter, which I am considering selling. Its quite a good and very flexible DAC as it can connect to the internet via wifi and receive internet radio on top of streaming music from a wireless NAS setup.

sell sell sell! i wana try. any chance you going down anywhere?

Not so soon la, maybe after I given it a proper listen. But I do have too many cans lying around and may consider selling it and my HF2, which would mean that I'll be done with dynamic cans. If that's the case, my beloved HP4 will have to go too. Just too little time to provide enough love for all my cans :grin:

There is still another choice, not dynamic and not stat.

Ortho?

Going LP route must also consider RCM (record cleaning machine) eh...... :)

Clearaudio, VPI got some pretty ok, utility grade RCM.

Our local make also got a cheaper version using spinning to dry, but vacuum function still a good feature, i think.

Loricraft, Keith monks, Hannl are bling, bling liao eh. :)

May also consider using paper sleeve and newspaper cut out to LP size. (It does absorb moisture). Got budget, go for anti-static sleeve.

Otherwise, maintain room temperature in LP storage.

Our local weather is humid, not really that conducive for LP well being in ambient temperature, especially for those staying near east coast, i guess. For indoor smokers, condition will be lagi worse...

But for nostalgia (older recordings), and analog heaven, LP has bragging rights, i presume :)

Edited by jpcc

Our local make also got a cheaper version using spinning to dry, but vacuum function still a good feature, i think.

May also consider using paper sleeve and newspaper cut out to LP size. (It does absorb moisture). Got budget, go for anti-static sleeve.

Our local weather is humid, not really that conducive for LP well being in ambient temperature, especially for those staying near east coast, i guess. For indoor smokers, condition will be lagi worse...

But for nostalgia (older recordings), and analog heaven, LP has bragging rights, i presume :)

Lots of arm exercises too. Lots of gaps between songs due to many pre-play procedures :doh:

But CD can't beat the emotion of the songs, especially vocals. The singers voice is just so :lust:

another TT user here ? B):grin:

another TT user here ? B):grin:

Waah!!! This thread is Evil :bash: ... Anyway, just got back I have yet to try those fabled TT + Stax combo. :sweat:

jojo, get yourself a copy of Black Eyed Peas - THE E.N.D. LP for TT audition!! :grin:

I have yet to see Nickelback records!

No TT nevermind, some guys already started buying vinyl :grin::beer::whistle::smoke:

Edited by kidult

:) dormant TT user now :)

TT is enjoyable when u have time and patience.

CD is convenient and easy maintenance.

Digital is very convenient.

Edited by jpcc

:) dormant TT user now :)

TT is enjoyable when u have time and patience.

CD is convenient and easy maintenance.

Digital is very convenient.

Totally agree :grin:

Well, until I have more free time...... then again, free time better go pub or KTV chat with xiao mei mei :lust:

Waah!!! This thread is Evil :bash: ... Anyway, just got back I have yet to try those fabled TT + Stax combo. :sweat:

BEWARE my friend the slope is a slippery one.....

Totally agree :grin:

Well, until I have more free time...... then again, free time better go pub or KTV chat with xiao mei mei :lust:

BEWARE my friend the slope is a slippery one.....

Xiao mei mei may be even more costly than all our rigs combined! :P

Then again.. :grin:

Well, its burning in nicely in my can burn-in setup. Out of the box, compared to the HF2 (the only other Grado I have) its way more neutral. The HF2 sounds recessed compared to this. Vocals are more lively and airy. Haven't compared with my other cans, but I consider the others a different group :ppth:

Must borrow one of 2 PS1s I know of to compare, but of course that wouldn't be fair to the Magnum. Nonetheless, I'm curious to find out. Wonder how the PS1000 fairs?

IPB Image

Xiao mei mei may be even more costly than all our rigs combined! :P

Then again.. :grin:

Its a different kind of heaven... :P