ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

errrr...finally succumbed to all the talk about vinyl in this thread...so decided to give it a spin (no pun intended). Bought an entry level, easy to use Denon DP-300F...high-end audiophiles will probably snigger at this product but due to space and budget constraints decided to get this...it comes with an in-built phono stage and thus can be directly plugged into any headphone amps. It comes with attached line out rca and power cables. Very easy to set up too.

And the sound...wow...it really kick ass; this budget turntable is surprisingly good. Bought my favourite Queen album (news of the world) from Roxy and compared to the CD of this album, the vinyl wins hands down; so much fuller and warmer...and the bass is unbelievable.

you are the best, no need to poison! Haha.. Jump in yourself!

I'm also waist deep in this damn vinyl crap, but only halfway.

If you happen to see "blondie" knock his head a few times for making us spend more money.

Edited by jig_sg

so good to have an audiophile uncle..

he got me into all this to be frank and the help of my bandmates!feel like "killing" them now!LOL,my savings all gone now..and bank left with $9

so good to have an audiophile uncle..

think I'll just call up all my uncles to see if they hv a nice tt lying ard somewhere too. No harm askin, especially if they happen to hv a Linn LP12! One of the best TT around, if properly setup & maintained. Lots tweaking possibilities but needs some experience.

think I'll just call up all my uncles to see if they hv a nice tt lying ard somewhere too. No harm askin, especially if they happen to hv a Linn LP12! One of the best TT around, if properly setup & maintained. Lots tweaking possibilities but needs some experience.

eh,one of the best?he told me it is mid level TT leh..he bought the whole set for 4k :call:

and and he play audio for almost 30 yrs le..

Edited by ito

Hi Kachui, that means you bought the Denon TT new? Which Alpha outlet did you go to? From what you described, it can be connected directly into any input on any amp right? Thanks.

Yes, got it new from Alpha at Adelphi. It has an in-built phono stage so you can connect it directly into the RCA input on an amp.

Yes, got it new from Alpha at Adelphi. It has an in-built phono stage so you can connect it directly into the RCA input on an amp.

Thanks for the info. I have been considering to go experience LP but was hesitant because of the setup and maintenance etc. But it seems this model is a good place to start. How did you decide on this? Beside this model, was there any other brand/model that provide equal convenience?

actually set up a TT system is easy like one two three :grin:

what you need is a TT (with arm & cartridge), a phono amp & interconnect to your amp.

if your amp (Hi-fi amp I mean) already come with phono stage, u already saveup.

beside kachui easy plug & play TT, for starter like us, Project Debut III or Rega P1 - both around 600 including cartridge & phono. P1 could be lower. Project Debut III colour version will be higher price.

or can get used Technics SL1200MK2 or above, low model Thorens within your budget.

no experience wise, my advise is buy new low budget model to play around. get familiar with those stuff then upgrade to further model.

if you have cash, may consider to get something around 2-2.5K for start. this will keep you busy for a while.

Thanks for the info. I have been considering to go experience LP but was hesitant because of the setup and maintenance etc. But it seems this model is a good place to start. How did you decide on this? Beside this model, was there any other brand/model that provide equal convenience?

I was looking for a entry level with an in-built phono stage, did some search on the web and this model came up among others. The reviews on this TT are pretty decent and price reasonable; the hassle-free setup and usage helped in my decision too, and of course, the fact that it is available locally.

Read that this TT can be further improve by changing its belt, cartridge, or stylus. But the stock ones are decent enough, unless backside gets itchy later...and look for tweaks.

Agree with Kidult. Get a budget one to play around first to familiarize with it.

Edited by Kachui

you are the best, no need to poison! Haha.. Jump in yourself!

I'm also waist deep in this damn vinyl crap, but only halfway.

If you happen to see "blondie" knock his head a few times for making us spend more money.

heh, heh...actually started with vinyl when I was young...my first vinyl was a birthday gift when I was 10. My dad has a big collection of vinyl records as well. But later progressed to cassettes, then CDs due to their convenience. So now, has come a full circle...back to the old vinyl.

"Blondie" has been busy...so have yet to see him for a while...maybe he is hiding from us. :grin:

eh,one of the best?he told me it is mid level TT leh..he bought the whole set for 4k :call:

and and he play audio for almost 30 yrs le..

Not in terms of price. For the its ability, you'd have to spend alot more to get the same results IMHO.

The LP12 has a very huge following, many 3rd party upgrades are available.

what you need is a TT (with arm & cartridge), a phono amp & interconnect to your amp.

beside kachui easy plug & play TT, for starter like us, Project Debut III or Rega P1 - both around 600 including cartridge & phono. P1 could be lower. Project Debut III colour version will be higher price.

or can get used Technics SL1200MK2 or above, low model Thorens within your budget.

no experience wise, my advise is buy new low budget model to play around. get familiar with those stuff then upgrade to further model.

if you have cash, may consider to get something around 2-2.5K for start. this will keep you busy for a while.

Well, for me I'll be getting a used one to play around with until I upgrade it... erm, actually, more like mutilate! :grin:

Thanks alot for the advice. I guess, I will seriously consider the Denon like what Kachui has. For me I am more into music than equipment. But having said that, can someone advise me what is the difference between lower end and higher end TT system? Is it same as what we have in our CD-based audio system where we compare about Transparency, Musicality, Sound-staging, etc etc...? Or are there different set of "criteria"?

I was looking for a entry level with an in-built phono stage, did some search on the web and this model came up among others. The reviews on this TT are pretty decent and price reasonable; the hassle-free setup and usage helped in my decision too, and of course, the fact that it is available locally.

Read that this TT can be further improve by changing its belt, cartridge, or stylus. But the stock ones are decent enough, unless backside gets itchy later...and look for tweaks.

Agree with Kidult. Get a budget one to play around first to familiarize with it.

Thanks. Think I will go for the Denon to get familiarised first. For me, think it's better to save and spend money more on software than hardware. From your earlier post, I believe you got yours for around $400? Can you tell me how was your deal and which Alpha staff you bought from? If not convenient to disclose here can please PM me thanks.

an audiophile goal - High fidelity!! so to say a low & high TT difference!

errrr...finally succumbed to all the talk about vinyl in this thread...so decided to give it a spin (no pun intended). Bought an entry level, easy to use Denon DP-300F...high-end audiophiles will probably snigger at this product but due to space and budget constraints decided to get this...it comes with an in-built phono stage and thus can be directly plugged into any headphone amps. It comes with attached line out rca and power cables. Very easy to set up too.

And the sound...wow...it really kick ass; this budget turntable is surprisingly good. Bought my favourite Queen album (news of the world) from Roxy and compared to the CD of this album, the vinyl wins hands down; so much fuller and warmer...and the bass is unbelievable.

Welcome to the club. :party: The Dark Side is hard to resist. :grin:

@Ito...ha, ha...no...not selling my 740c anytime soon...still using it since I have quite a few CDs.

Ito, his 740C is not normal. His is a fully Effective Audio modded which eat 840C for breakfast. Cost of mod alone is about the same as the player. :smoke:

i also bought about 200 CDs now..difficult to convert actually..but i do have a turntable coming in soon which will be a Linn Sondek LP12 with Naim ARO tonearm installed..from my uncle and about 100 classical vinyl for my 21st bday..hope i am not poisoned..

LP12 is a legendary TT. If properly set up, it can beat those that cost much more.

Edited by ical

Ito, his 740C is not normal. His is a fully Effective Audio modded which eat 840C for breakfast. Cost of mod alone is about the same as the player.

wow!haish..die..now my breakfast have been eating AIR for about the past 6 months already..lucky he not selling..if not i also bo lui whack..haha..have about $700 for a CDP now