heady

Best headphones in the world?

STAX SR009 are possibly the best in the world, however it is exceptionally subjective.

Very true. It would be nice in a way if manufacturers could get together with customers and work toward some kind of standard of measurement that gets close to that "neutral" or "flat" thing. But on the other hand, it might not be a good idea. Sometimes competition is better than manufacturers working together.

hehe interesting listened to the new akg k550 today at stereo

other than the biggest closed can that i know of sounded really nice and neutral

just the highs were abit piercing at times

other than the biggest closed can that i know of sounded really nice and neutral

Uh-oh those were highly rated. Did you check them for sibilants?

Uh-oh those were highly rated. Did you check them for sibilants?

No sibilants detected, the midrange was seemingly uncolored and to some may be dull, but i would say it was just right and natural. The bass was detailed and not emphasized as well, no bass humps just good bass, highs were well extended not shrilly but bright. Overall it beats the HD6xx and most headphones in that range.

No sibilants detected, the midrange was seemingly uncolored and to some may be dull, but i would say it was just right and natural. The bass was detailed and not emphasized as well, no bass humps just good bass, highs were well extended not shrilly but bright. Overall it beats the HD6xx and most headphones in that range.

That sounds near perfect. I wish I could get a bunch of those Shure foams without the earpads so anytime I get a bright one I can try the foam mod on it.

What the foams do is reduce just the most irritating of the highs but leave the rest of the highs intact as well as the rest of the sound. Changing distance will have an effect on everything - not good unless that's your intent.

Had a chance to audit it during a headphiles gathering last Sunday in Kuala Lumpur. Basically, for a pair of closed headphones, the K550 is really nice and neutral.

Sad to say, the K550 in particular was subjected to some childish bashing over at HWZ : AKG Headphones Users

I read the 3 pages at HWZ - it looks to me like some of them didn't get the synergy right with their amps. Impressions that differ a little on the bass and treble make sense, but some of those experiences don't match up with the known 550 issues.

I read the 3 pages at HWZ - it looks to me like some of them didn't get the synergy right with their amps. Impressions that differ a little on the bass and treble make sense, but some of those experiences don't match up with the known 550 issues.

Actually the K550 sounded pretty decent driven straight out of the iPhone, just not enough volume, for me at least :grin:

Come to think of it, I used to get that underwater sound with a very old ripper and 128k MP3's. Makes me wonder.