Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Official 17th Jan SGH-meet thread

I'll post some more photos later & some of my comments. I would have posted the photos earlier had I had the time at the airport but other priorities had to be attended to. I won't go into much into detail on the equipment as most of the time was spent meeting everyone & enjoying the conversation plus I didn't make any notes!

Hope the guys in your photos HPC didn't mind being posted online.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see the HD650 sad1.gif

btw, keep the pictures coming guys jump.gif

yea i was pretty disappointed that the HD650 wasn't there.

one of the few headphones i want to try were the shure e3c, AT L3000, beyer dt150.

both evo and i agreed that the shure e3c, compared to etys 4 series, were muffled sounding. the bass seems loose and there is something weird with the midrange too. wasn't too impressed so i didn't compare again.

as for the beyer dt150 on rotel 971->grado IC-> gilmore V2, i found that the bass seems to be slightly overwhelming and sounds closed in. rameish said it might be due to both the rotel and the IC which were heavier at the bottom. need to try the DT150 again on some other setup.

the most impressive setup i heard was cmk's Toshiba SD-5300 + Melos SHA-1 + AT L3000 playing Diana Krall DVD- Audio. honestly it was one of the best audio i heard but most of it might be due to the well recorded album. vocals were simply heavenly and diana krall seems to be singing to you. me, blues and kenshinz were pretty amazed by this setup too. however rock doesn't sound as good as though. cmk seems to like the W100 more but the AT house sound is apparent.

when i tried the L3000 on the A3->tara labs ??-> gilmore v2, the magic was lost. might be due to the synergy with melos and source?

tried the beyer 860 for a while. the drums on it sounds like taps and not like proper drums though. slightly too bright too but the beyer 860 isn't burned in properly yet so......

Evil the Gilmore is bass heavy as well. Goes to show that system synergy is in most cases more important and any single piece of gear.

i felt that the rotel 971 -> gilmore v2 ->dt-150 was smokin good. I spent quite some time listening to bossa nova on it and i was really impressed.

Ok something about the shures, I felt that e1 went deep in its bass. IMO its quite neutral (read: quite), but its mids sound like those earbuds kind. A little cheapo sounding. Nevertheless it was a very nice bud.

E3 was fine. But I felt it was slightly muddy, and the bass had no extensions. Not tight at all as well.

I think I only got a fit on 1 ear for the Etys, so not being too sure, I dare not comment.

yea i was pretty disappointed that the HD650 wasn't there.

one of the few headphones i want to try were the shure e3c, AT L3000, beyer dt150.

both evo and i agreed that the shure e3c, compared to etys 4 series, were muffled sounding. the bass seems loose and there is something weird with the midrange too. wasn't too impressed so i didn't compare again.

as for the beyer dt150 on rotel 971->grado IC-> gilmore V2, i found that the bass seems to be slightly overwhelming and sounds closed in. rameish said it might be due to both the rotel and the IC which were heavier at the bottom. need to try the DT150 again on some other setup.

the most impressive setup i heard was cmk's Toshiba SD-5300 + Melos SHA-1 + AT L3000 playing Diana Krall DVD- Audio. honestly it was one of the best audio i heard but most of it might be due to the well recorded album. vocals were simply heavenly and diana krall seems to be singing to you. me, blues and kenshinz were pretty amazed by this setup too. however rock doesn't sound as good as though. cmk seems to like the W100 more but the AT house sound is apparent.

when i tried the L3000 on the A3->tara labs ??-> gilmore v2, the magic was lost. might be due to the synergy with melos and source?

tried the beyer 860 for a while. the drums on it sounds like taps and not like proper drums though. slightly too bright too but the beyer 860 isn't burned in properly yet so......

Hi

nice report, honest opinions. Thanks for the nice comments.

I'd like to add a couple of comments about the gear I brought. I actually took the Toshiba just to show what a good DVDP can do if properly setup. Not every DVDP will sound good, there are some bad ones too, but I won't mention brands.

The Toshiba=Melos combo is fairly reveiling but still could be improved upon. Perhaps with the next meet, I'll bring down my other source and interconnects, but that would be a major exercise. wink.gifwacko.gif The thing to pay attention to is the power supply. I don't know how many of you saw the little white box on the table - the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. I needed it to connect the US plug equipment I had, also to lower the noise floor and let the equipment operate with a lowered noise floor.

The reason why I didn't quite like the L3000 but prefered the W100 was because the L3000's sound was centered on the mids. Don't know if it was run in yet. huh.gif The W100 was more balanced, highs, mids and bass, but more importantly, the emotion in the music was communicated. thumbup1.gif Quite a rare thing.

IMO the Consonance CDP and amp are a pair made for each other. Fast detailed CDP paired with a warm tubey transparent amp = kissing.gif I don't know why no one mentioned this, but its really worth looking at. Also Firefox's One-of-a-kind headamp is something you guys should consider getting him to build.

One last comment, I notice some of you use CDRs. If you use such high resolution gear and use a copy, I think you're not getting the best sound out of your gear.

Let's not get into the cdrs issue as some of the valiant defenders of these format will get into debate wink.gif (I am also one of those. Just FYI I've tried copying a japanese press Zard album to a memorex blac cdrs. Out of my humble system, I can't hear any difference).

I was also stunned by the presence of diana krall in your setup, cmk. It was with L3000, as I could recall. Didn't have the chance to hook the w100 to it though.

CMK,

Like you I prefered the W-100 to the L-3000 on the set-up's I tried. But I do think this headphone (L3000) is something special - it needs a high current amp to drive it (typical for a low impedence can). The W-100, W-2002 (and from memory the W-1000) are more forgiving.

Please do take note that my comments on the Toshiba and Melos are based on the combo with Beyer DT-931 only. I send alot of time looking for amp that will sound better than the Corda with the DT-931. This headphone is also a little amp fussy.

duckling,

I didn't try the ultrasone at the meet unfortunately.

Also had a brief listen to the Beyer DT-860 - nice but a bit pricy for its performance. Hopfully we can have a burnt in unit for the next meet - hint hint :-)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Lengcm for organizing the venue.

Rameish, no worries, I understand. We all look for that mystical beast that can transport us to audio nirvana. biggrin.gif Don't get me wrong, I do accept that the L3000 is special. I think HPC should look to AT for their own dedicated headamp to drive it. Dunno the model, but I know it exist.

BTW, it was great meeting you guys for the first time. grouphug.gif

Edited by cmk