tropicalrips

Digital Camera

took some potrait shots today smile.gif below are my "victims" lol.gif

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

MRT series

user posted image

Edited by tropicalrips

i think tropicalrips is going to the dark side already naughty.gifnaughty.gif

we'll be anticipating tropical's special mrt series soon w00t.giflol.gif

lol.gif the first uncle now works in "Bally photo" here he is giving his "bookie" pose lol.gif

the girl in the potrait series is the daughter of "Mega Snack House" towkay in SLS smile.gif

laugh.gif special MRT series biggrin.gif i actually saw a very good shot today while waiting for the MRT, it was an indian/chinese girl who was looking very sad...before i took the shot i realise why she was sad sleep.gif the boy friend walked up and sat beside her biggrin.gif i think they were arguing, i hav seen the girl before...she works in SLS too, i thought she was chinese until the guy spoke to her in tamil tongue.gif

Took during a Cosplay @ fort canning tongue.gif

user posted image[/url][/img]

ahh... I've seen bad pictures coming out from dslrs at the lower range(mainly due to how cheap they are ie the 300D and d70 so now everyone can join in the show). But for some noob to commit that kind of money on 1dsmkii and not to mention the lenses.. I think the chances are almost zero...

There're rich squirts who know nuts about photography but just buy the most expensive available.. LOL..

I don't believe that the cheapest DSLR can't produce a good shot in the hands of a skill photographer.

Nor do I believe that a EOS 1Ds MK II with a nice CZJ lens can produce good shots in the hands of a hopeless photographer.

Anyway, the low cost of the DSLR doesn't relate to how the pictures turn out. And I've seen people who buy a Canon EOS 350D and at least 2 Canon L lenses to go with it. Also EOS1Ds MK II users who do not use L lenses..

Anyone who is investing in an SLR is buying into a system. My advice is to look at your needs, analyse your future expension into other areas (like macro photography, sports etc) and buy a camera whose system with lenses, tripods, lighting (not just flash), best suits your needs.

Dont just buy the longest zoom lens because you are shy to go near your subject but because you realize what the long lens will do to things like perspective, depth-of-field at a given apeture etc.

Focus on the 50mm lens (in35mm format) and look into things like composition, highlighting, shadows, rule-of the thirds (and when to break them).

I personally find that about 70% of general photodraphy (not sports or macro) is well served by a 50mm lens.

Blues, you have potential. Keep it up man.

firefox: .. yeah my sentiments exactly.. DSLRs .. heck even compacts can produce good shots.. in the hands of good photographer. Looking at bram's shots one can be convinced that it doesn't take a dslr to produce amazing shots. What I wanted to say initially was that, many are tempted to get dslrs especially at 300D's/350 and d70's initial starting price which is very very close to high end prosumer like fz-20, sony f828. However many are not familiar with their equipments and end up getting shots that are easily achieved by normal compacts(this is the what u refer to as bad shots from dslr users). And yeah I agree like you said, there are only 2 possibilities that people own 1dsmkii: professional working in the photography line who needs the best, and rich fella.. but I believe 'most' singaporeans are sane enough when it comes to spending their money on a 15k equipment... err.. tongue.gif

rameish: thanks alot w00t.gif

Edited by Blues

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Allright, spill the beans. Are those mugshots for some new local movie (Talkingcock The Movie: Part 2, or Return of the Ah Beng?)?

biggrin.gif

Great shots, rips, the series on the uncles. Really nice.

ahh... I've seen bad pictures coming out from dslrs at the lower range(mainly due to how cheap they are ie the 300D and d70 so now everyone can join in the show). But for some noob to commit that kind of money on 1dsmkii and not to mention the lenses.. I think the chances are almost zero...

I definitely disagree with you... sleep.gif The quality of a picture has nothing to do with the price of the equipments. It is really up to the photographer, not the camera. My friend has the 1Ds, and almost never take good pictures, only reach so called 'documentational' photography.

Take a look at Henri Cartier-Bresson, one most famous photographer who shot his famous photos with only pocket cameras.

http://www.photo-seminars.com/Fame/bresson.htm

So the chances for pocket camera and 1Ds to take bad and good photos are equal, depend on the man behind the camera wink.gif

So for those with low budget, never underestimate your talent, you might be the Bresson of this century happy.gif

To re-quote what I replied to firefox:

What I wanted to say initially was that, many are tempted to get dslrs especially at 300D's/350 and d70's initial starting price which is very very close to high end prosumer like fz-20, sony f828. However many are not familiar with their equipments and end up getting shots that are easily achieved by normal compacts(this is the what u refer to as bad shots from dslr users).

I think I phrased my words wrongly so u all get the wrong message of me saying that those 300D and d70 can't take good pics compared to higher end models..

tropicalrips, I think the uncle photos you posted up there were great! Especially their facial expressions.

As a newbie, I got a question. For example the leftmost photo.

user posted image

The lighting on the uncle's face is correct, but I find the flourescent lighting on the upper left to be too bright and white. How do we correct this?

Edited by red_ryder

Allright, spill the beans. Are those mugshots for some new local movie (Talkingcock The Movie: Part 2, or Return of the Ah Beng?)?

biggrin.gif

Hehehe! Good one!

Some of these so called famous photographers I feel are overrated. Either that or I just don't get it.

Wow, this thread sure has been busy...

I think that a lot of people get caught up with comparing cameras that they forget to take pictures. Im sure this has been said over and over but alot of people just dont get it. Camera's just a tool, its the grey matter behind it that does the real picture taking.

The mugshots look great Tropical, i like the whole theme/idea behind it.

Red_Ryder, i dun think there's anyway unless u photoshop but that might ruin the whole picture. Another way would be to recompose so that the lights are not there in the background. U shud take things like that into consideration when u take pics. I think its quite a great shot. Sort of like a stark contrast to the face itself.

N@Z, to each his own i say, sum get what that guy wants to portray and some dont. No real right or wrong to me.