Blues

How long do you listen to your cans everyday?

How long do you listen to your cans everyday ?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

& NAD 541i of course.

lol.. ok, thanks scorcho smile.gif

mackie: wow!! if it's like ur speaker system.. I would rather listen to it than the headphone.. but of coz this is just my preference la .. ehhehe

the alex to's song - wang le ta sounds so nice man!! the guitar and all. somemore the voice like really in front of u. Hm.. I just got hold of that cd.. 99 qing ren, it's actually hdcd.. hehe.. so I wonder how fantastic it would be to pair them to hdcd capable cd players smile.gif

Guyferd,

Thanks for the compliment but cans offer a good substitute to the speakers system as it's less critical and hence more relaxing for me. Furthermore, it's good to let my ears rest with music at low volume after a full day of stress at work.

No doubt pop cds with HDCD mastering seem to sound more analytical and spacious but they are not necessary better. There are so many I've come across as really lacking in body and basslines. The Alex To cd U've heard at my place is one of the better recordings. Luck U er?

Hi Guy,

Sidetracking a bit, what is the best HDCD player currently available in the market ? I have a first generation decoder from X-DAC of Musical Fidelity. Are those from Rotel equipped with second or third generation chips ? Is Microsoft channelling resources to make it a standard in net music ?

Generally, HDCD sound reproduction (based on my X-DAC) provides greater ambience feel, but there is a tendency to sound slightly brighter with some sibilant effects. Has this compromise been addressed in the current generation ? wink.gif

Hi tee,

Perhaps I may answer on Guy's behalf. I have the latest generation MF X-24K dac and it also does not have HDCD capability. HDCDs are driven by Pacific Microsonics chipset which is available in some NAD and Rotel players in the sub $1000 range. Despite the good credentials of this technology, consumers do not often agree as there are too many cds with HDCD mastering that sound rather bad. For eg, latest limited edition of Norah Jones on Blue Note label is actually a HDCD as many users of Rotels cdps would concur. However it sounded awful...bass is lumpy and overall tonal balance is too warm. Vocals are great though. An older recording of Patricia Barber on the same lable sounds much more superior....try Nightclub album.

To date and IMO, only on Reference Recordings mastered by the Father of HDCD technology himself do I hear the real strengths of HDCD. U get a huge and 3D soundstage and highs are never too harsh or lacking in extension. Hence, I deduce the technology is sound but just the software may not be up to scratch. This applies to some XRCDs and SACDs too.

well said and thanks, Mackie. A lot of HUGO CDs have also been put on HDCD format in the past. Some are quite well recorded and mastered. I will highlight some of these selections in the other thread on audiophile CDs. The company is now starting on XRCD and SACD issues. Would XRCD be the standard format for all CDs one day ? And SACDs substitute for all vinyl records (these are just questions, not opinions, so no missiles pls). wink.gif

Oh yes, I agree Hugo is one of the better labels aside from RR. Too bad the latter maintains a collection mainly of classical, jazz and swing genres only. Hugo XRCDs have a fine track record without a doubt. party.gif

There're some XRCDs which are not superior to the stock eg Tsai Chin "Min Ge". Some actually preferred the stock version of this album than XRCD. As yet, SACDs is the format closest to the analogue sound but in a spar between an Accuphase SACD player and Mitchell Orbe turntable, the latter wins but not by a huge margin during one of the pow wow sessions. To avert an imbalanced view, both gears are of equivalent cost bracket. The winning edge is the attention that vinyl is able to draw from a listener....at least, this listener. laugh.gif I still think both SACD and vinyl will exist alongside each other until a new digital technology comes around beating both formats in sound. yeah.gif

Edited by Mackie

would that be DVD-Audio format by chance, Mackie ? wink.gif

ahh.....this is one contender but industry is still trying to find its bearings in employing a standard. DVD-A has the highest potential as the format has been trusted and proven superior by its employment in DVD video, which superseded LD without a hustle.

I listened to the normal edition of Norah Jones through my etys last night. The recordings are probably screwed up with many parts of the album distorting or on the verge of distorting. The first track was the worst. HDCD edition probably sounds better than the normal CD but maybe not as good as other similar recordings.

Oh my and I thought the original edition could be an US import and sound better. What a bummer. Btw, the SACD version will be out soon.

Btw, now i recall my Shangling CDP has a second generation chipset from Pacific Macrosonic, no wonder it produces much more smoother and warmer voicing from HDCDs than usual sounding from X-DAC. Of course, there could also be a part played by its tube output section that makes the overall sonic presentation even more palatable ! wink.gif

I listened to the normal edition of Norah Jones through my etys last night. The recordings are probably screwed up with many parts of the album distorting or on the verge of distorting. The first track was the worst. HDCD edition probably sounds better than the normal CD but maybe not as good as other similar recordings.

You are spot on. It is such a bloody shame that the album won so many Awards but the recording is just so sh*tty! no.gif