Rameish

Looking For A Cheap Digital Camera

Hi Guys,

Let you in on a good spot to pick up digital cameras. Have a look at the range and prices at www.cheapngreen.com Their showroom/sales office is in Sunshine Plaza, along Middle Road, not fancy but I think you will probably get the best prices there. Not a very big range but have a look anyway and do let me know if I am wrong.

2MP

no optical zoom

another candidate

fujifilm a201/202

other considerations to take note in considering a digital camera

storage:

CF storage cheapest + highest capacity

SD quite popular now

batteries:

AA [can use off the self batteries when u're out in no man's land, but need to buy rechargeables for long usage]

proprietary rechargeable [need to fork out a lot if u want an extra batt]

macro function:

some provide a external button to go into that mode easily, others need to fish thru a mess of menus

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone out and bought the Olympus C-150 for several reasons.

I have been a long time olympus fan - I have 3 x OM-1 bodies and several Zuiko lenses (something like 10 to 15 last count).

I have the original mju (the model that the russians took to space). Hey it still works (bought in 1992 or 1993)

The C-150 uses AA batteries and has a pretty good lens (I don't need the zoom function). Digital zoom is a joke of course (just like panorama mode). And it's 2MP only.

So for taking pictures and posting here it's ideal. Also the wife factor will be able to use the camera - unlike the C-3000. Sometimes going low end is a blessing.

Edited by Rameish

I feel a little crippled without my own DigiCam now so the search begins for a new one. Anyone has any experience with the Canon G3? Any other suggestions & reason for your recommendation. I'm looking in the $500 to $800 range. Above 3Mp, preferably with docking cradle for ease of charging & uploading images. Prefer good point & shoot, manual override (optional) & Macro capability. Not too bothered about size as long as it is well built.

Nothing wrong with 2MP if you aren't going to print photos bigger than 4R. I have a Canon A40 and I love it, even though it's only 2.1MP. It has awesome manual functions which are usually only present in professional cameras, and the current A70 looks to be one of the most awesome comsumer priced camera ever. I only wished I got an A70 instead, and waited 2 months instead of getting the A40. dry.gif

I need the resolution just in case I use it at work. Need to be able to show detailed shots.

N@z, based on your description the G3 fits in perfectly. Never had any chance to use it though..

I am using the S45.. the more 'portable' version of G3 elvis.gif

Thanks. How much does it cost there? Haven't checked around here yet.

Apologies for hijacking the thread...

Any reccomendations for small compact idiot proof 2mp cameras? Cousin looking for a point and shoot and tiny one. So far im thinking only of Canon IXUS.

fish: you can try canon ixus. Quite compact and picture quality not bad. The nikon also not too bad (nikon SQ is it?)

the panasonic dmc-F1 is not too bad. Using leica lens, but it the picture quality isn't quite as sharp as the contender in the same price range. Using SD memory card if I'm not wrong.

N@z: G3 has been replaced by the new Canon Powershot G5 series. G5 retails ard 1.2 k , can be found around 1 k or even less in most shops. But I am sure if you look around, like forums.clubsnap.org you might be able to find 2nd hand G3 in singapore. Prices may vary.. around 500-800 I guess, depending on the age, accessories included etc.

G3 is a good choice. G5 is not that much improvement over the G3, only one more extra MP, that's about it.

Edited by Blues

Yep my understanding is that even for my use I won't need the ability to be able to print in A4 sizes hence the G3 would be more than enough. It's got most of the features of the G5 including the swiveling screen but the G5 looks handsome in black. Nikon SQ looks cute though, how much are those?

Saw this on the review of the SQ: The Nikkor lens produced noticeable barrel distortion at wide-angle, and pin cushioning at full telephoto.

I know what 'barrel distortion' is but what is 'pin cushioning'?

I think it's the opposite of barrel distortion..

something like this )(

Got this idea from one of the adjustment on my samsung monitor.

I may be very wrong here.

I think it's the opposite of barrel distortion..

something like this )(

Got this idea from one of the adjustment on my samsung monitor.

I may be very wrong here.

Yes, this is correct.

Regards

CK